Home

TheSinner.net

French edditor fired

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby a registered user on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:44 pm

In damascus they have burnt down the Danish embassy.. sadly the Swedish and Chilean embassies were in the same building. All Danes are to leave Syria immediately according to the Danish government. Supposedly the attack came after rumours were spread that the Koran was being burnt on the streets of Copenhagen. Just goes to show that this has got totally out of hand and that there is a great deal of propaganda under the surface.
a registered user

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Remember that in Deus Ex, it was the french who blew up the statue of liberty. So I say blame them.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/bunf/AGM-duggeh.jpg
Duggeh

Re:

Postby BackwardsMan on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:04 pm

Ban all religion from the world... problem solved.
BackwardsMan

Re:

Postby themushroomgod on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:47 pm

Having seen the cartoons, I did think that the one showing Muhammed with a bomb in his turban was a bit uncalled for, although I really didn't see the problem with the others. As I see it there seem to be three arguments laid against Jyallends Posten, France Soir and so on;

1) That the cartoons shoudln't have been printed as images of the prophet are considered taboo

2) That the satirical nature of the cartoons was offensive

3) That they associated Islam, and so all muslims with terrorism

In answer to the first point, I'll have to point out that although muslims are forbidden have images of the prophet, this shouldn't extend to the rest of the world. To prevent a secular paper from printing such images is, in effect, to impose islamic beliefs and moral codes on non - muslims. I'm told forcing a religeon on anyone is frowned upon these days.

To use my second argument, that the satirical nature of the cartoons is offensive comes across as somewhat naieve. Are we suggesting that Islam is not, as we've all come to believe, a big grown up religeon? That muslims are so insecure in their faith that they cannot abide even the slightest hint of insincerity on the part of a journalist who isn't even a member of their faith? Fankly, if I were muslim (and I'm not) I'd be insulted by anyone using this argument.

To my final point, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say that yes, one or two of the cartoons did associate Islam with terrorism. I mean, Mohammed with a bomb! What were they thinking? If we remember the origional context in wihich they were publised (an author had been anable to find illustrators for a children's book about the prophet, leading to Jyallends Posten to publish the cartoons along with an article about free speach, and a fear of critisism of Islam by journalists) I feel that the message would still have gotten across without needlessly bringing such an association into the equation.

[hr]

Ooh! A Monkey!
Ooh! A Monkey!
themushroomgod

Re:

Postby Stuart on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:01 am

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Buy_Danish.jpg[/img]

That is all.
Stuart

Re:

Postby BackwardsMan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:43 am

The way I see it is, you poke fun at a prophet/god/elephant with 8 arms/whatever, accourding to the rules of the religion, you're going to a bad place (usually hell). Whereas if you're good, you go to a good place (usually heaven).

So why the hell do all these people have to have a fecking "Anger Day"?? What good is it going to do? Do they think their god will be proud?? Surely their god would be more proud if they stayed calm, left these naughty europeans to go to hell, and continued praying in a civil manner.

I really don't get humans sometimes. Even in wake of this ferry disaster in Egypt - people were rioting and attacking police because they weren't hearing any news of their relatives... WHY? Why not continue and wait like civilised people? Why vent their anger and frustration in a violent way? Their were no riots after 9/11, or after the london bombings, or after the 2004 Tsunami.
BackwardsMan

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 pm

Best news quote of the day:

"They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to [the French and Danes] and to their newspapers."

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Fuck 'em and their fucking prophet.

[hr]
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Too far.
Midget

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board