Home

TheSinner.net

Bean: The Ultimate disaster campaign!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting annoyed from 22:51, 12th Feb 2006
Actually ive talked to a number of union staff, who confirm the fact that bean is a waste of space, let alone money. he has apparently become worse than the building joke, he is an irrelevant use of sparce funding for students.

Even if Bean was a waste of space and money, which I doubt that he is (bearing in mind that if Mr Bean was to spend as many hours working behind the bar as he does working for the student body he would be on significantly more money) he would be following in a rich vein of pointless sabbaticals behind him. It would hardly be a new phenomenon. And incidentally, if you had real issue against his actions, you could seek to remove him. But I am sure that somewhere in your head you've decided that posting anonymous comments on a messageboard is a far better course of action. Bravo!

[hr]

"Oh, and say hi to Dardar for me. I simulated a sex act with him that was broadcast on the internet last year."
I meet people in interesting ways.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Oli on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:59 pm

Whoa whoa whoa! Let's not give David such a hard time here!
The poster has been distributed all over St Andrews so that people can get in touch with David (and let him prove that he's doing his job).

As the posters state, David's office is on the middle corridor of the Union, so if you doubt his capabilities or his hard work, you can visit him (if he's not in, he's likely in a meeting, but his diary is available via the General Office and other sabbs, so you can check with them and make an appointment for a later date via the General Office).

So please, don't jump to conclusions and start criticising without doing a bit of background work first!
Oli

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting oli from 19:59, 13th Feb 2006

So please, don't jump to conclusions and start criticising without doing a bit of background work first!

why would they do that? this is the sinner!

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 pm

"I've spoken to members of Union staff"

HA!

(to both of the people who posted that phrase)

Bean, if you're reading this, do you remember me telling you what Spiers used to periodically e-mail me? I'll start it off for you "Don't let the..."

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby etc on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:28 pm

How does one remove a sabbatical?

Please enlighten us, Mr Comedy.
etc

Re:

Postby ooer on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Eh up how confusing - who is this baked bean and what has he done? What hasn't he done? Explain!

Perhaps David is the best one to answer - What is your remit? Do you fulfil this completely? How?

I like beans :)
ooer

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting etc from 18:51, 13th Feb 2006

Not Comedy, but... you'd need to get a motion of recall passed at an extraordinary meeting of the Association. Ain't gonna happen.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 00:08, 14th Feb 2006
Quoting etc from 18:51, 13th Feb 2006

Not Comedy, but... you'd need to get a motion of recall passed at an extraordinary meeting of the Association. Ain't gonna happen.

[hr]

I think it's intentionally set up that way, and instead of a fraction of the membership as quorum it should be of the number of people who voted, because most members could't giva a shit about a desgusting glorified pub.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 11:31, 14th Feb 2006
because most members could't giva a shit about a desgusting glorified pub.

You're giving pubs a bad name

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting ooer from 19:20, 13th Feb 2006
Eh up how confusing - who is this baked bean and what has he done? What hasn't he done? Explain!

Perhaps David is the best one to answer - What is your remit? Do you fulfil this completely? How?

I like beans :)

Actually the job's pretty big. Formally speaking it involves working with the SSC's subcommittees - Societies, Mermaids, the MusFund, Postgrads, Debates and Charities - to offer things like administrative support (today, for instance, I produced some paperwork for Mermaids relating to Showcase, and the loan contract and policy for the MusFund) and running events (including the postgraduate programme over the summer), and sitting on all the other main Association committees and subcommittees. Apart from that I've tried to broaden the job out a little to incorporate work with careers (acting as a liaison to help improve the Centre, and setting up certain employers' presentations), volunteering (I just recently wrote up a comprehensive volunteering strategy, encompassing annual volunteering fairs which started this year, the adoption of the Millennium Volunteer Awards scheme and the affiliation of the SVS), development (the activities counselling service, a new venture for the Association, is the subject of those posters, and I've also run training sessions) and town/gown relations (including acting as Secretary to the St Andrew's Festival Committee). I also sit on the national executive of the National Postgraduate Committee, where I'm working on a research project concerning the provision of student activities for postgraduates across the UK. At the moment I'm working with one of the members of the SRC to produce and have passed a full, updated set of the Laws of the Students' Association that we'll be able to make available, which is something students have been crying out for for the past couple of years.

Technically speaking, then, I've not only filled my remit, but tried to go beyond it to establish new programmes that students will be able use for many years to come. That's the whole point about being a sabb: you can do your daily duties easily enough, but to be successful, to establish some kind of legacy, you need to be thinking of ways to improve the lot of the student body that haven't been done before. The problem is that these things take some time to set up, which (in conjunction with general mean-spiritedness) is what leads to the kind of nonsense spewed forth by our unregistered friend. A sabb can't command flashy Saint headlines fortnight by fortnight - well, they could, but not if they want to achieve anything of any real value. Far better to get things done quietly, in the background.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:05 pm

Sabb-bashing is as old as time itself, right up there behind prostitution, chickens and the egg. Rory O' Hare springs to mind; bashed about herculean levels of bacon-roll eating while Rome burned

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:21 pm

True enough; in my experience it's louder than a chicken, more fragile than an egg and less profitable than prostitution.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 11:31, 14th Feb 2006
I think it's intentionally set up that way, and instead of a fraction of the membership as quorum it should be of the number of people who voted, because most members could't giva a shit about a desgusting glorified pub.

I am sure it was intentionally set up that way. If for no other reason but to protect sabbaticals (and other officers) from spiteful or mischievous attempts at recall.
Al

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 20:49, 11th Feb 2006
Your "unrefutable(sic)" evidence is a Union employee, whom you can't name, that got fired?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search? ... rrefutable

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343

i see what you mean, no s/he is ex st-andrews, you need draw no more conclusions from thin air.

s/he did not get fired.

i could name them, but i won't.

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting flarewearer from 22:05, 14th Feb 2006
Sabb-bashing is as old as time itself, right up there behind prostitution, chickens and the egg. Rory O' Hare springs to mind; bashed about herculean levels of bacon-roll eating while Rome burned

[hr]

That Rory O'Hare stuff is not without merit. That man did eat a lot of bacon. Although I must admit that myself kick starting "Rory Watch" didn't really help matters.

[hr]

"Oh, and say hi to Dardar for me. I simulated a sex act with him that was broadcast on the internet last year."
I meet people in interesting ways.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:34 am

Jeesus christ! Can't someone post a friendly jibe about a poster without some in-the closet anarchist screaming all over the sinner.

Yes Jonny-boy, lets throw out David. lets expell the entire union body! While we're at it lets Burn down the Union itself! And just for shits and giggles we can execute the University court by firing squad! After that we can march down Market street waving the black flag and Caning Bricks at starbucks!

Oh deary me! So David sits in the union and enjoys a drink or 10 now and again! Don't we all? I certainly do (though unfortunately lacking in the sheer volume of female company he seems to enjoy). The only difference is that he has to get up and do meaningful work the next morning, while the rest of us Bums can happily sleep in most days!

If you have a problem A) Take it up with someone. B) Run yourself if you think you can do a better job (Though anonymous loud-mothes don't tend to do very well in elections.) or C) Shut the hell up.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Pedant on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting David Bean from 21:00, 14th Feb 2006

...and running events (including the postgraduate programme over the summer)...

Which events were those?
Pedant

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting pedant from 01:20, 16th Feb 2006
Quoting David Bean from 21:00, 14th Feb 2006

...and running events (including the postgraduate programme over the summer)...

Which events were those?

One presumes the postgraduate programme over the summer.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 09:32, 16th Feb 2006
One presumes the postgraduate programme over the summer.

The ones put on by the Postgraduate Society, you mean, or one Bean put on all by himself?

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:44 pm

The ones put on by the Postgraduate Society, you mean, or one Bean put on all by himself?

Well, both - the events were run under the banner of the Postgraduate Society, but the work itself was done mainly by Rachel (then-PG Officer) and myself, such as with the beach party, football tournament and bus trip to Edinburgh.

[hr]

David Bean

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board