Home

TheSinner.net

WHAT is up with people talking in movie theatres?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

WHAT is up with people talking in movie theatres?!

Postby minira on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:38 am

I'm serious...is there an epidemic I wasn't aware of until I went to the theatre this week? Twice I was sat in front of a group of really rude people who commented loudly on the movie all through it. Has anybody else had these problems, or am I just incredibly unlucky? And if you have, did reporting it to the theatre staff actually help at all?

The first time it was a group of kids, who thankfully the theatre staff eventually threw out after many, many complaints (but not until they had ruined 3/4 of the movie for everyone there).

The second time it was a group of American uni students, one of whom also kicked and pushed against my seat for half the movie despite being repeatedly asked not to.

So I ask again...what the heck is going on? it's obviously not an antisocial behaviour thing, or an American thing (as an American I can vouch for the fact it's never happened to me in an American theatre).
minira

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:40 am

People are fucks, next time it happens, throw your drink over them and leave, itll be worth it.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:50 am

That annoys me so much especially when they really don't pay attention to the film that much, why go to a cinema if you want to have a chat?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:54 am

I hate it soooo much that one of my secret desires is to have my own cinema. I was in the cinema in Dundee a while ago and got sooooo annoyed I was actually ready to hurt people physically. Probably one of the reasons why I go the cinema rarely. The really annoying thing is that you are always the one being screwed over. If you don't say anything and try to concentrate on the film, it will still be ruined if you do say something, you ruin it for yourself as well. I guess Duggeh's suggestion is actually quite good. At least then you get some kind of satisfaction out of it... that and become a millionaire and rent out the entire cinema...

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
Are you a terrorist?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:40 am

All I have to add:

I've always thought that if people sit in the very front row, which no one wants, just so they can whisper to each other occasionally, there's nothing wrong with that.

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:10 pm

Ask the person nicely to shut up, and if they don't, complain to staff and then if they don't do something about it, you can probably claim your money back cos it's their fault for not kicking the naughty people out.

[hr]

Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:05 pm

At the cinema I used to work at people got one warning and then after that they were asked to leave. It is a pain to go and grass someone up because all you want to do is watch the film in peace.

Another thing I hate is people talking all the way through lectures and not even paying attention. They are not compulsory, so why go if just to muck around?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:25 pm

People who ask "What? Why?" questions all through films because they did't pay attention, or if it's really obvious that your gonna find out later in the film, they are the worst.

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 20:25, 2nd Mar 2006
People who ask "What? Why?" questions all through films because they did't pay attention, or if it's really obvious that your gonna find out later in the film, they are the worst.

when my brother and I are watching films that we have seen close to a million times when we were growing up he STILL asks me 'what happens next?'

my response is always 'just watch and you'll find out in a minute'

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 pm

That has happened to me several times. The common culprits are those groups of pre- to young teenagers. Once there was a bunch of them at the back who were loudly laughing etc throughout the movie, and also were throwing Haribo Sweets at me and other peoples' backs. Another time a girl's mobile phone rang loudly about 5 times throughout the movie, and she was actually answering it and blethering on it each time. The icing on the cake though was years ago, when a bunch of girls right at the back row were laughing and talking so loudly throughout a movie that nobody in the audience could actually hear the dialogue. After many members of the audience hissing "shut-up!", a marvelous person at the very front stood up, turned round and Screamed "SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!", to which the entire audience erupted in hysterics and applause. I think the girls were so disgruntled by this that they went rather quiet, and slid out early. THat was a classic moment. Better memory than the movie ever was.

But yeah, people talking loudly in movies is an infuriating and unfortunately rather common occurance. The only time it is acceptable is during The Late Show: it just wouldn't be fun if we watched it is cold silence.

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37100117
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:38 pm

I hate it. Like the case of the kids in front of me at Lord of the Rings 3. Ten minutes to go and they kept running around, so I asked them nicely to be quiet, then to shut up. One went "aye, fuck off" under his breath. So I leaned over and hissed "look, there's 10 minutes to go, just shut the fuck up". It did the trick

Worse than that are the people that sit through films at home and go "did you see that? did you see that? omg that was so funny! did you see it!" then REWIND the damn thing about TEN times. Or if you are seeing a film for the first time, the people that sit and go "sssh! watch this bit". What's with the "sssh" when they are the fuckers making all the noise?

[hr]

I wanna be an anarchist, get pissed, destroy
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:45 pm

I am a real silence nazi when it comes to films. In the cinema, I'm not really in control (terrible thing), which is why I usually only go if the "cinema effect" is necessary. For the rest I happily wait for the DVD and other people are only allowed to watch it with me, if they swear by their lives to be quiet and going to the toilet or coughing or blowing the nose will be met with a total ban from the room. The three lord of the rings films I simply don't watch with ANY company at all (apart from my cat). I tend to switch off the phone and unplug the door bell... you could call it insanity, I guess, but many disgraceful experiences in cinemas are responsible.

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
Are you a terrorist?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Some people seem to have a magical gift for coughing or making some other blasted noise right at a punchline, final plot twist or beautiful little filmic moment.

Also, never go to the cinema with the elderly (25+) they have a penchant for falling asleep and breathing loudly. Damn them.

[hr]
Rufus

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Rufus from 23:43, 2nd Mar 2006

Also, never go to the cinema with the elderly (25+) they have a penchant for falling asleep and breathing loudly. Damn them.

[hr]

What cinema do you go to that has a sound system incapable of competing with someone 'breathing loudly'?
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:22 am

oh come on, what's the point of going to the theater then, if not for the experience of watching it as a crowd?
Quoting the reason for the word witch from 22:45, 2nd Mar 2006
I am a real silence nazi when it comes to films. In the cinema, I'm not really in control (terrible thing), which is why I usually only go if the "cinema effect" is necessary. For the rest I happily wait for the DVD and other people are only allowed to watch it with me, if they swear by their lives to be quiet and going to the toilet or coughing or blowing the nose will be met with a total ban from the room. The three lord of the rings films I simply don't watch with ANY company at all (apart from my cat). I tend to switch off the phone and unplug the door bell... you could call it insanity, I guess, but many disgraceful experiences in cinemas are responsible.

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:18 pm

With comedies I like having people to laugh with, I hate the idea of seeing comedy by myself. Comedy is so much audience thats why its better to see a comic play than a film as then the people on stage can ride on the audiences laughter. Still Final Destination III was great because it was in the small screen of NPH yet the audience was cool and everyone took it for what it was a complete piss-take. Admittedly my laughing through one of the funerals caused everyone else to laugh -perhaps you might complain about people laughing during a film or whatever but I think it would be very dull otherwise.

But clearly theres a difference between reaction to the film and off putting rustling, coughing etc. Equally on stage the quietest cough is far more annoying than inappropiate laughter for the performer onstage.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Too far.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby minira on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:28 pm

Yeah, but I'm talking about full-blown loud running commentary of the "Man, if I had a whip like that, if I did I would totally...(continue for 5 minutes) HA HA HA. Did you see that?! How ridiculous was that? It was totally fake! They could do it so much better if they'd used a...." etc. etc.

Laughing, when it's the audience laughing together or a quiet personal laugh, I really don't mind. Even coughing and sneezing don't bother me too much.

But if you really want to elaborate on the hotness of Charlize Theron's outfit for 5 straight minutes, do everyone else a favor and just rent the DVD and torture your cat/significant other with your witless meanderings.

Because I will totally throw my drink at you next time.
minira

Return to The Sinner's Main Board