Home

TheSinner.net

st. andrews visit

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

st. andrews visit

Postby VThigh on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:19 am

just got home... i liked it
VThigh

Re:

Postby emzn on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:07 pm

It's St Andrews....leave your full-stops behind!
emzn

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 pm

[pedantry]
Or Saint Andrew's, if you're being correct. So, strictly speaking, it should have a full stop and an apostrophe: St. Andrew's.
[/pedantry]

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Pedant on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:24 pm

The town's name is
St Andrews

If you're going to make corrections, please check to ensure you're correct.
Pedant

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm

Which is correct? I have been debating this for a while. Surely it was originally St. Andrew's (as in it "belongs" to St. Andrew)? On maps and in the University name and anywhere else I have seen it written it is St. Andrews. Hmm

P.S Glad you enjoyed your visit!
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:51 pm

I think the town predates the invention of the possessive apostrophe. The Latin name of the university Universitas Sancti Andreae apud Scotus translantes to The University of St Andrews among the Scots, or some such. I'm sure I'll be promptly corrected if I am wrong.

St is a contraction rather than a truncation (e.g. Rev.) and hence it doesn't need a full-stop, according to the current usage.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Actually, the University's Latin name means "The University of St Andrew among the Scots", so in a strict sense, "St Andrew's" would be right. But I think "St Andrews" is universally accepted as the English form now.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby ferret on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting emzn from 16:07, 6th Mar 2006
It's St Andrews....leave your full-stops behind!

just like to say . grammer aside im sure you've all made that potential student just gaging to start four years here.
ferret

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting ferret from 17:44, 6th Mar 2006
grammer aside...gaging

Tee hee...

VTHigh has probably made more representation on The Sinner than any other prospective student since my time here began. He's no stranger to our ways.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting Lyeta from 16:38, 6th Mar 2006
On maps and in the University name and anywhere else I have seen it written it is St. Andrews. Hmm

P.S Glad you enjoyed your visit!

I very much doubt you'll have seen it on maps and in the University name as "St. Andrews" (but I'm prepared to be proven wrong).

I'm also glad you enjoyed your visit - email me if you'd like a Sinner guest account to avoid the unregistered user system.
-Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Quoting Admin from 18:28, 6th Mar 2006
Quoting Lyeta from 16:38, 6th Mar 2006
On maps and in the University name and anywhere else I have seen it written it is St. Andrews. Hmm

I very much doubt you'll have seen it on maps and in the University name as "St. Andrews" (but I'm prepared to be proven wrong).

Well perhaps not the most official source but http://www.saint-andrews.co.uk/staindex.html (I had seen it somewhere!)I have since looked up and realised that St. is not actually the correct abbreviation of Saint. I stand corrected.

Edit: Apparently it's an American vs. British difference, and as I went to an American school that is probably where I got it from.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting Jason Dunn from 16:51, 6th Mar 2006
I think the town predates the invention of the possessive apostrophe.

Similarly to Athens, the Royal Burgh's name is plural. What's so difficult to understand?

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 pm

You can add Thebes and Mycenae to the list of plurally named cities, as well as St Andrews...

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

the real question is "is athens really plural, or just that way because it is an anglicized version of a name not in english?"
So I would wonder if athens is plural in greek.

This whole thing seems pretty ridiculous to me. No matter if it is written St Andrews, it is pretty clear (if only from the history!) that the meaning is the same as St. Andrew's and Saint Andrew's.

Quoting from 18:22, 6th Mar 2006
Quoting Jason Dunn from 16:51, 6th Mar 2006
I think the town predates the invention of the possessive apostrophe.

Similarly to Athens, the Royal Burgh's name is plural. What's so difficult to understand?

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting Lyeta from 19:13, 6th Mar 2006
Well perhaps not the most official source but http://www.saint-andrews.co.uk/staindex.html (I had seen it somewhere!)I have since looked up and realised that St. is not actually the correct abbreviation of Saint. I stand corrected.

Sorry Lyeta, I'm not going to accept saint-andrews.co.uk as an official source of reference... :P
Admin

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting Admin from 20:27, 6th Mar 2006
Quoting Lyeta from 19:13, 6th Mar 2006

Sorry Lyeta, I'm not going to accept saint-andrews.co.uk as an official source of reference... :P

I know don't worry I wasn't expecting you to :P
Lyeta

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:23 pm

During the reign of Struther Arnott, the University officially designated St Andrews as their official spelling/punctuation of choice, theretofore it was not uncommon to see St. Andrews.

As for apostrophe's, there isn't one. Anymore than there is in, for example, Queens Street or Barons Court. It is not usual to apostrophise place names, and although there are examples they are very much the exception.

The University in its formal Latin is the University of St Andrew among the Scots, but in English it is the University of St Andrews, not (not ever) St Andrew's University.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:53 pm

If anyone can explain why every day on the District Line I go through Barons Court and Earl's Court, they will render me a not-inconsiderable service.

Of course, only one town in Britain has an exclamation mark in its name.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 22:23, 6th Mar 2006
As for apostrophe's, there isn't one. Anymore than there is in, for example, Queens Street or Barons Court. It is not usual to apostrophise place names, and although there are examples they are very much the exception.

is that a greengrocer's apostrophe?

and which town has an exclamation mark in its name?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby ronald villiers on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:10 pm

[/quote]

and which town has an exclamation mark in its name?

[/quote]

That would be Westward Ho! I believe.

[hr]

"Swill gin? Sir, I have sipped, lapped, and taken gin intravenously but I have never swilled"
There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
ronald villiers

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board