Home

TheSinner.net

Assassins!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Colleen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:42 pm

I'd be in, my boyfriend is an Cambridge Assassin and every time I go to visit I have to put up with his mild paranoia... it looks fun, in a strange way,
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby maenad on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:03 pm

I've never heard of it. I'm in though.
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Zak on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Wont be able to make Sunday but still want to be involved. No doubt itll get posted about on here.
Surely we need to add a St Andrews twist too it rather than just copy rules from Cambridge.

NB - Whole two witness rule means cutting out the elaborate middle of street mowing downs with shopping trolleys armed with only broom stick lances.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:27 pm

I remember this being played in JBH in days of yore. Good idea, hard to follow through though
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Me and a mate were on the verge of setting up an Assassins Guild Society(or something to that effect) last year with a core of people basically from our circle of friends(though we had a good 30 folks saying they'd do it). This would definately definately work. It's a great idea and I'd love it if someone else organised it(I want to do it too much).

Count me in, and probably the thirty odd people we harrangued into almost doing it last year.

It's a deal!

EDIT: As for the rulings and stuff, perhaps at least two witnesses? Thus allowing for said mowings...

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby terry towelling on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Get the union to help - they'll probably be able to advise on the legal aspect of assinating people in the middle of town. Maybe they could help promote it? Or maybe act as a central base for the Umpire/enquiries.
terry towelling

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:46 am

Pub meeting, Aikmans, 4.15, Sunday? Who'll be there?
Harry Giles

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:57 am

Gah, I'll be working but will be there in spirit and really want to take part. If you could post the goings-on after the meeting I'd be very grateful. Can't wait to get involved!

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)

IMAGE:img360.imageshack.us/img360/114/infosiggy23vz.gif
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:45 pm

I'd play...also can't make it though cause I'm snowed in at home :(

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby LittleBlue on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:15 pm

I love this game!
I've played several times, most recently was killed by being tied to a friend with red and white cordon tape! We always had a specific place and 'weapon' and needed a witness (someone who was also playing), but I doubt that it's practical to apply a place in such a big game.
Won't be able to make Aikman's this afternoon, but definitely count me in!
LittleBlue

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:09 pm

count me in but can't make Aikmans.
Good thing about the only two rule is that it makes it harder and you have to think more.
bouncy ball makes it so oyu don't hurt someone.

the whole legal thing boils down to taking all reasonable efforts to prevent damage and injury. so saying that you can't actually use knives and blunt objects is good.

I like the idea of being told what weapon I had to use because the the assassinated do not know what weapon to look out for. If I knew it was water or the bouncy ball, I'd avoid all water and bouncy ball carrying people.

THere are stories at other universities of people locking themselves in their rooms for weeks in order to win, having food delivered through their window or co-conspirators. That's if they don't live on tines of food. This happens at universities where there's a large cash prize, though.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby JM on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:08 pm

cool,
inner inhibitions let loose. i'll take part too if it aint too late!!!!!!

i dunno if i can make it to aikmans at that time tho but i'll try. if i miss the meeting can someone pleeeeeease email me on jm475 and i'd really appreciate it!

:) thanks alot!!!!

EDITED: wheres aikmans again???? :S sorry!

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:32 pm

I'll probably be there, though at this rate I may be the only one. :-/

Also, I have no idea what most other Sinners look like. If you see a brown-haired girl wearing a hoodie with PCA written on it wandering around Aikman's with a faint look of confusion, please wave at me!
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby chief_gobbo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Sounds awesome, Won't be able to make aikmans but still would be keen to get involved. How would incorperating players who dont live in halls work?
chief_gobbo

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:18 pm

Alas, a serious hangover and a lack of people probably means we should organise another time. Any propositons?
Harry Giles

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Poor Amorphous! I hope someone turned up for your sake.

[hr]
Rufus

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Rufus from 16:55, 12th Mar 2006
Poor Amorphous! I hope someone turned up for your sake.

I went with JM, so I wasn't an utter loner, but so far as we could tell we were the only ones there. I did get to relax with a vodka and lemonade, so it wasn't a total loss!

The upside is that I've had some ideas on the organisation of the thing, mostly relating to whether it's a St Andrews-wide thing (aiming for as many participants as possible) or some sort of Sinner-and-friends thing.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby JM on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:44 pm

So, i know this is a big thing to arrange but could we do it on here ie: agree on a few basic rules or how about someone who came up with the idea cud email oli and set up a new board??

it would be good to get it started but that wont be for a wee while.

[hr]

JM

Re:

Postby Admin on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:21 pm

Sure, I can set up a rules page and a messageboard.
Just let me know what you want - email admin@thesinner.net
Admin

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:50 pm

I suggest a facebook event/group/advert to spread the word beyond the Sinner community.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board