Home

TheSinner.net

"New Student Magazine for Undergraduates and Postgraduates!"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

"New Student Magazine for Undergraduates and Postgraduates!"

Postby Cynic on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Umm.. if I'm not mistaken, isn't this "new" magazine that they're advertising on the Wednesday Memos something that has been going on for several years?? Unsuccessfully!? I hope they're not serious.

Check out this thread:

"Does anyone read the Vine?"
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... thread=768
Cynic

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:47 pm

A Student magazine for Undergrads AND postgrads...so...just a Student magazine would be a sufficient description I would think...

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:58 pm

is this about the signal, formerly known as the vine? i wrote for them a few years ago. they started holding meetings without telling me etc, rather than telling me what i was doing wrong. I put quite a bit of effort into it and they basically shat on me. from the sounds of it they need all the writers they can get
illetyouin

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:59 pm

is this about the signal, formerly known as the vine? i wrote for them a few years ago. they started holding meetings without telling me etc, rather than telling me what i was doing wrong. I put quite a bit of effort into it and they basically shat on me. from the sounds of it they need all the writers they can get
illetyouin

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:00 pm

sorry, there's a problem with my internet at work. it keeps doing multiple posts!
illetyouin

Re:

Postby Students Association on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:30 pm

The Students' Association used to publish a fortnightly newspaper called Newsreel.
This developed into Unreel but was quickly replaced by The Vine.
The Vine was very successful, and maintained a high standard of writing and print in its first couple of years, but declined in its third year, due to inexperience of the staff involved.

Last year, rebranded as the Signal, it struggled to get off the ground and released just a few issues as an online magazine.

Due to various criticisms of the quality of The Saint, and the desire to have something different; something new and challenging, several students are spearheading a campaign to bring The Vine back bigger and better than ever before.
There has been a lot of excellent feedback already from various members of the student body (both undergrad and postgrad) and also from University staff, and a strong team of writers is building up.

But in order for the magazine to be truly great, there needs to be a wide variety of writers. There also needs to be a reliable team of people to assist with editing, layout, distribution and all the other work that goes into creating a good quality publication.

Anyone who would like to join the team and help contribute to this new venture, please email vine@st-and.ac.uk (or click here-) [url]mailto:vine@st-and.ac.uk[/url]
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:41 pm

Quoting illetyouin from 16:58, 22nd Mar 2006
i wrote for them a few years ago. they started holding meetings without telling me etc

Sorry to hear about that! This is a new team however - I don't think we have anyone on board who worked with the previous incarnations of the magazine/newspaper. Let's not tar this new venture with the brushes of yesteryear eh? We've got a group of people who are extremely keen and able to promote the views and stories of St Andrews people, and who are committed to producing a top quality magazine.

If you'd like to get involved and be a member of the team, send an email to vine@st-andrews.ac.uk
Oli

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting students' association from 17:30, 22nd Mar 2006
The Students' Association used to publish a fortnightly newspaper called Newsreel.
This developed into Unreel but was quickly replaced by The Vine.
The Vine was very successful, and maintained a high standard of writing and print in its first couple of years, but declined in its third year, due to inexperience of the staff involved.

Newsreel was very successful and popular, and a real alternative to The Saint in terms of news, reviews and opinion pieces. The Vine was only ever a drain on resources.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm

Did anyone but me ever pick up on the fact that Signal was a nazi propaganda magazine for the German Wermacht in WW2?

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby purringpickles on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:53 pm

A healthy amount of cynicism never did any harm! However, there seem to be a few areas of misunderstanding in this thread!

The Vine has NOT been running for several years, it's last incarnation was the Signal which I gather was not well received! The Vine however is getting a makeover and has a completely NEW bunch of people who are going to make a success of it! No one from the previous incarnations of The Vine (Newsreel, Unreel, Signal etc) are involved in this project at all.

Quoting Cynic from 12:57, 22nd Mar 2006
Umm.. if I'm not mistaken, isn't this "new" magazine that they're advertising on the Wednesday Memos something that has been going on for several years?? Unsuccessfully!? I hope they're not serious.

Check out this thread:

"Does anyone read the Vine?"
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... thread=768
purringpickles

Re:

Postby lizt on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

When did the Vine end? I don't remember seeing it last year, but there were always loads of copies in Halls in first year!
lizt

Re:

Postby chalkycheesetwizzles on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:41 am

Thats a shame! I'd like to get involved so have emailed and they seem like a nice bunch!
Sins of the father and all that!!!

Quoting illetyouin from 16:58, 22nd Mar 2006
chalkycheesetwizzles

Re:

Postby Saintly on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting oli from 17:41, 22nd Mar 2006
This is a new team however - I don't think we have anyone on board who worked with the previous incarnations of the magazine/newspaper. Let's not tar this new venture with the brushes of yesteryear eh?

Ah.. exactly what The Saint has been trying to say for months. If people are critical of the quality of the newspaper and want to be involved in something like it, why not join The Saint and voice their criticisms? It's a newspaper run by students, for students, and it's free from the influence of the Students' Association.

I wonder how The Vine would have covered the recent Association Elections... a resounding success?
Saintly

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:59 pm

How times change. When I wrote for Newreel I was reported to the SRC by the Convenor of the Debating Society for the tone of my Debates column (despite also being on the Debates board!) and was robustly defended by the then Editor and the then VPC. Then writing Hackwatch (anonymously), I was again defended in my right to criticise the Association amid threats of censure. It is possible to have an Association run paper which doesn't pander to the Association line - but only if the people running it have the strength of character to proclaim their independence. That's why Newsreel worked. The old Vine, in my opinion, never worked because it was wholly under the control of Association officers and, therefore, dull.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 pm

The new Vine will not pander to the Association line. It's not wholly under the control of Association officers, and it most certainly won't be dull.

I for one want to see truthful reporting of what goes on in the Union, but there will be a lot more covered than that. Perhaps it will cause a stir. Perhaps it will ensure that there's less hackery in the Union. Perhaps it will breathe that breath of fresh air that is very much needed!
Oli

Re:

Postby Kenny MacDonald on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 13:59, 23rd Mar 2006
How times change. When I wrote for Newreel I was reported to the SRC by the Convenor of the Debating Society for the tone of my Debates column (despite also being on the Debates board!) and was robustly defended by the then Editor and the then VPC. Then writing Hackwatch (anonymously), I was again defended in my right to criticise the Association amid threats of censure. It is possible to have an Association run paper which doesn't pander to the Association line - but only if the people running it have the strength of character to proclaim their independence. That's why Newsreel worked. The old Vine, in my opinion, never worked because it was wholly under the control of Association officers and, therefore, dull.

I remember Newsreel from the golden time that was Melville in the late 90's. A cracking read, from what I remember.

Anything similar that gets resurrected gets my full support.

[hr]

SRC Member for University Accommodation

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100712
Kenny MacDonald

Re:

Postby bleep on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:43 am

The Saint is a worthy publication, give credit where credit is due. However,it would be foolish of any student run publication to assume it is the be all and end all of student publications. The Saint cannot represent the ENTIRE student population, neither can The Vine.

Quoting Saintly from 10:25, 23rd Mar 2006
This is a new team however - I don't think we have anyone on board who worked with the previous incarnations of the magazine/newspaper. Let's not tar this new venture with the brushes of yesteryear eh?

Ah.. exactly what The Saint has been trying to say for months. If people are critical of the quality of the newspaper and want to be involved in something like it, why not join The Saint and voice their criticisms? It's a newspaper run by students, for students, and it's free from the influence of the Students' Association.

I wonder how The Vine would have covered the recent Association Elections... a resounding success?
bleep

Re:

Postby Jack Black on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:43 am

Let the reader decide - or are you afraid?

You'd think they'd be happy that they might ACTUALLY have some competition!!!

Jack Black

Re:

Postby purringpickles on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Jack Black from 11:40, 24th Mar 2006
Let the reader decide - or are you afraid?

You'd think they'd be happy that they might ACTUALLY have some competition!!!

An unfair question me thinks. You have no idea what the opinions of the writers are! What's the big deal? So what if another student paper starts up! Who cares!
purringpickles

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:34 pm

I'd like another student paper personally, it gets boring slagging of the Saint all the time and there's only so much personal abuse I can give Laurence Tonkin.

[hr]

'I bet you a florin that the chap will turn out guilty.'
'I bet you a dubloon that you win that bet.'
thePontificator

Return to The Sinner's Main Board