Home

TheSinner.net

Current Poll: What do you really think?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Current Poll: What do you really think?

Postby Grandpa on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Would a train station in St Andrews improve your travelling experience, or would it just add to the cost of your ticket. Considering the huge amount of investment needed to install such a station here, the cost to the ticketpayeris likely to be so huge that it wouldn't be viable. Or would opening a station here just make the town more accessible for more American tourists?

On the M&S option, I am astounded that students really would choose this over, say, a swimming pool.

However, the only really sensible option on the poll, I think, is the swimming pool option. The current pool, frankly, a bit small and nowhere near accessible enough in it's current location, and this only adds to the disuasion factor of going there.

Can you imagine if it were swamped by students? Sure, the management would love it, but they would suddenly realise that the pool is far too small.

4% of you (at the time of posting this) think we need a nightclub - oh, pur-lease, god forbid it. It's bad enough trying to tackle the pavement when it's full of over-brewed angsty twentysomethings exiting the Vic or the Union at 2 in the morning, let alone what it would be like if, for example, the uni were to sell the gateway building (what a name, urgh) and turn that into a club...can you imagine the carnage that would be that end of town on a Fri/Sat evening? Just imagine the droves of drunken sweaty smelling tanked up/high/pilled up students that would be marauding through town. No, just no no no.

As for the fast food option: Subways is bad enough - I have a friend who lives above it, not only can they smell the unhealthy processed rubbish that is sold in that place (and I will go AWOL on anyone posts that subway is actually healthy), but they can also hear the music blaring from the radio in there. How absolutely and inexcusably antisocial!

Charity shops - can only serve a good purpose.

American tourists - actually, on the whole, are nice people not wanting to cause a fuss. You agrophobes should be appauled at yourselves.

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Oh you are so old!! I want a nightclub! In fact not just any nightclub a 24hour one!!
Sid

Re:

Postby donkey on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Subway is actually healthy.

You can try all the disuasion factors you like. You won't convince me otherwise.
donkey

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Quoting Grandpa from 14:32, 22nd Mar 2006

The current pool, frankly, a bit small and nowhere near accessible enough in it's current location, and this only adds to the disuasion factor of going there.

That's the effect of being stuck in St Andrews village alone. The pool is 20 minutes walk from the centre of town or but 5 minutes on a bike , in any proper conurbation you're lucky if you're that close to a swimming pool.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 pm

http://www.subway.co.uk/menu_nutrition_info.asp

Subway does appear to be reasonably healthy if you don't make any obviously fatty choices i.e. tuna, B.L.T. etc (though it could be argued that 20g of fat, and 23g respectively is unnecessary in a sandwich).

Anyway, nutrition aside, why would anyone choose to eat from Subway?! The smell that pervades the acursed place is nothing short of rancid. Bad smell = suspicious food.
Rufus

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:52 pm

the marks and spencer idea is ridiculous. when i was a student at st andrews i certainly wouldn't have been able to afford that. Only the yahs with their poofy voices and daddy's credit card would shop there.

train station - good idea, but if you want good transportation links go to a uni in the city. the whole point of st andrews is that it's a bit further out.

swimming pool - why bother, just swim in the sea. you're surrounded by it!

nightclub - great idea. st andrews is totally lacking in decent nightlife. i think the idea of twentysomethings falling about the street at 4 in the morning is great. especially if they are on E's. if you think otherwise then you're an old fart
illetyouin

Re:

Postby svojosoba on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

The question was what does St Andrews need the most, so what would improve the quality of life for students, what do they want, however unrealistic may that be..

so I'm not at all surprised the most popular option is a train connection. As expensive as installing it would be, it would make travelling experience much easier and much more pleasant, especially for foreign students who change a ridiculous amount of planes/buses/trains to get here. And since they're already paying a lot to get here, I honestly don't think they'd be put off by the price of the ticket.

I understand the Mcdonald's option too. Yeah, we do have a lot of fast food places, but they're generally expensive and not as accessible for the average student as McDonald's would be. As for you saying living above Subway has created problems for your friends - I think it's a bit of an irrelevant observation. After all, it's not like they didn't know which house they were renting.

As for the pool, you say it is the only sensible option - that if it were swamped by students, the managers would suddenly realize it's too small. Surely the fact it isn't swamped by students means that there's not really a great demand for it? And, therefore, it is not really needed?

But I do completely agree with you about St Andrews not needing a nightclub. As for the Marks and Spencer foodhall and banning American tourists, I just think both ideas are completely ridiculous.
svojosoba

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

The train station is a silly idea, the problem is letting those cretinous incompetent shits Stagecoach run the bus service.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

Bowling alley.

[hr]

We're the MTV generation. We feel neither highs nor lows.
Really? What's it like?
Meh.
[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 14:55, 22nd Mar 2006
Bowling alley.

[hr]

We're the MTV generation. We feel neither highs nor lows.
Really? What's it like?
Meh.

Just invest in some skittles.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting illetyouin from 14:52, 22nd Mar 2006
train station - good idea, but if you want good transportation links go to a uni in the city. the whole point of st andrews is that it's a bit further out.

nightclub - great idea. st andrews is totally lacking in decent nightlife. i think the idea of twentysomethings falling about the street at 4 in the morning is great. especially if they are on E's. if you think otherwise then you're an old fart

Well, if you want a nightclub 'go to a uni in the city'.

Or, simply, as has been said ad nauseum: go to Dundee for your yobbish frolicks ;)
Rufus

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:02 pm

that's why i left st andrews. it's full of boring bastards.
illetyouin

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:08 pm

Don't you mean that if you think otherwise then you are not:
i)abusing your body
ii)causing yourself potential brain damage and depression
iii) breaking the law.

You should be locked up for implying that you would uphold the use of an illegal substance. You bad, bad person.

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:19 pm

lol, fuck sake.
illetyouin

Re:

Postby tg on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:23 pm

the marks and spencer-
Only the yahs with their poofy voices and daddy's credit card would shop there.

train station - the whole point of st andrews is that it's a bit further out.

swimming pool - why bother, just swim in the sea. you're surrounded by it!

nightclub - great idea. st andrews is totally lacking in decent nightlife.

i'm glad the poll has aroused such interest, but i must say i find your assertions ludicrous. some of the suggestions on the poll may not be as strong as others, but certainly not for the reasons you give. the reasons given above are especially devoid of any rationale.

edit: also the poll is obviously a bit tongue and cheek, so a couple of options are obviously not meant to be taken sreiously. it should be fairly self-evident which ones!
tg

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm

how can you say they're devoid of rationale. i lived in st andrews for 2 years and never had a decent night out. tell me all the good places to go that i obviously missed. prove me wrong.

fact: marks and spencers food is expensive. i personally could not afford it.

i think the swimming pool idea is ok, and i know lots of people would use one, but why not swim in the sea? i did it. is there not a pool near albany park?

there's a train station at leuchars. if you can afford fancy m&s food then surely you can afford a taxi fare to leuchars.
illetyouin

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, if you want a nightclub 'go to a uni in the city'.

Or, simply, as has been said ad nauseum: go to Dundee for your yobbish frolicks ;)

I think a small nightclub would be great here. Just because you want to go to a nightclub doesn't mean you're yobbish, I'm sure you'd agree there's nothing wrong with a drink and a dance.

Also, I'm not a ya and I pay my own way and I'd love a M&S here, it's not just any food, it's quality food. Also, it would do well here because many of the locals can afford to shop there regularly, and think how less busy tesco would be? Magic!

edited because I didn't know how to do one of those stick your tounge out smiley things, I gave up in the end.
Sid

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting illetyouin from 15:31, 22nd Mar 2006
i think the swimming pool idea is ok, and i know lots of people would use one, but why not swim in the sea? i did it. is there not a pool near albany park?

I don't know how thick your blood is, but the rest of us couldn't swim in the sea here, because in case you hadn't noticed this is Scotland and not Florida, the difference between the two is that Scotland is baltic at all times, apart from one day in the summer where we get to expose our arms without them turning blue. Florida on the other hand, is so hot that you wear very little clothing, flip-flops at all times etc. Another major difference is that in Scotland people frown all the time (no sun), and in Florida people laugh and smile all the time (lots and lots and lots of sun).

Now I know you're poor, but swimming in the sea is just taking the tesco value digestive biscuit.
Sid

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Of course there's nothing wrong with a drink and a dance, I just can't see why St Andrews needs a nightclub when Dundee is a bus ride away.

*Shrugs*
Rufus

Re:

Postby illetyouin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

lol sid. i've never been to florida. scotland isn't that bad! you sometimes get shorts and t-shirt weather in the summer!
illetyouin

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board