Home

TheSinner.net

TV Licensing

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

TV Licensing

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:44 pm

As far as I can tell, everyone in Regs received a letter from TV Licensing stating

"Your address remains on the National Enforcement Database, despite several requests for payment of the TV Licence fee. It is therefore a contravention under Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 to watch or record TV programmes on this property without a valid TV Licence. So, if evidence is found during your upcoming visit of your watching/recording TV programmes without a licence, you face a serious risk of prosecution."

Now, putting aside what I feel about the TV Licence to start with, I find it wholly offensive that the TVLA are outright accusing me of breaking the law. They have no evidence to suggest that I own a TV or any other receiving equipment, and their automatic presumption that anyone who doesn't have a licence *must* be an evader is unacceptable.

Since it is not required by any of the associated regulations to notify TVLA or indeed anyone else if one does not own a TV, I refused to do so when they requested information in September/October. Much like spammers, if you acknowledge your existence in any way, they redouble their efforts. TVLA are well known for persisting in sending "enforcement notices" to persons who have already declared that they don't own a TV.

So in short, they'll need a warrant before I'll satisfy them with the knowledge.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 pm

They aren't.

I read that too.

Read this section again.

It is therefore a contravention under Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 to watch or record TV programmes on this property without a valid TV Licence

It doesn't actually make any sense. The "it is a contravention part..." does not follow from the previous sentences.

It doesn't say "You are in contravention".

I have to admit, they are getting better and better at making convincing looking faux legal bullshit, but their error is in sending too many and as such watering down any effect that they may or may not have had.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:58 pm

The amount of shit they send to people in the post surely makes them liable to be prosecuted by someone for wasting so much fucking paper with self-important bullshit. They are the most superfluous department in the existence of mankind, more so than telephone cleaners. Yes.

I hate them, and would happily set them alight with napalm.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:20 pm

TV licence = idiot tax

Easiest thing to avoid ever.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 13:58, 24th Mar 2006
They are the most superfluous department in the existence of mankind

I think you underestimate the awesome power of beaurocracy as a spawning ground for unnecessary pieces of paper.

If you don't have a TV licence, either fill in the first letter they send saying that you don't have a TV licence and you should be left alone for the year (as, I believe, will anyone who occupies that room after you), or simply file all their letters under "B" for "Bin".

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:25 pm

They really are very good at writing nonsense, but some of the stuff they send does firmly accuse the recipient of breaking the law. I've just sent it back with "Please fuck off" written across it and my address cut out, with a bit of extra weight added, and no stamp. They can clearly afford to pay a little extra.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:26 pm

We still get enforcement notices despite them having already acknowledged that we have a TV license. Bunch of noggins.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:35 pm

I received 5 reminders and warnings through the post.
AFTER I had paid for a TV Licence.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Duffman on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:36 pm

We sent them back a book of hare krisna that one of the gouranga monks gave me. It weighed loads, so hopefully cost them a lot on postage and should spread a bit of spiritual enlightenment around the office. It had some purty pictures in too.

[hr]

Sometimes people leave you, halfway through the woods.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Kenny MacDonald on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:50 pm

I, too, received warnings despite already having a TV licence.

The excuse I received was "your licence currently isn't attached to any particular address". Interesting theory.

[hr]

SRC Member for University Accommodation

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100712
Kenny MacDonald

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 14:24, 24th Mar 2006
Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 13:58, 24th Mar 2006
They are the most superfluous department in the existence of mankind

If you don't have a TV licence, either fill in the first letter they send saying that you don't have a TV licence and you should be left alone for the year (as, I believe, will anyone who occupies that room after you), or simply file all their letters under "B" for "Bin".

Why should you have to write to them to say you haven't got a TV? I thought we had a right in this country called the presumption of innocence. They must presume you have no TV unless told otherwise.

Re:

Postby Smith on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:19 pm

haha, tv license.

I love it.

I know people in their 40's that have never paid a tv license before. Even after they installed Sky Digital and had a satellite attached to their roof. Quality.

The best thing is when they bring round the "detector vans."

If you're really watching tv and you see one cruising around outside your window, wouldn't you just turn it off?

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting dunqn from 14:48, 24th Mar 2006
Heh yeah, in 2004 we paid for the license in october, and didn't stop recieving the letters until april 2005. Whilst there's a TV in this house, it's never used. What are the actual rules for them inspecting your property? I've a freeview box attached to my PC, is there any way they can realistically bust someone for something like this?...
...I could be watching a show from a DVD and, under that law, still get busted.

1/ Yes, you can be prosecuted for having the equipment to recieve / display TV pictures, so the freeview box or telly could get you busted. You might be able to argue your way out of the telly one if you didnt have it connected to an aerial / plugged in etc. AS for the DVD, again this would be grey ground. If you were watching it on your computer, no problem. On a TV, again you'd have to pull the old "no aerial" / "only use it for games" one. In this case it might not be worth their prosecuting.

2/ Im sure theres fuck all they can do to stop people downloading rips and watching them, as by viewing them on your computer you are getting round the part of the law that says that the illegal bit is to own / operate decoding equipment for TV signals without a license. In this case the lawmakers being so behind with the times when it comes to technology works in your favour.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:41 pm

And there's nothing to say you have to answer the door to them either.

[hr]

'If something has to change then it always does'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:44 pm

When I lived in Gatty our senior student said that if they came to the door, we should tell them to come back with the police and a warrant as they have no right to come into our house uninvited. In the mean time, we should hide any equipment under our beds or in our cars etc. I likes it!

[hr]

Let our love be a flame, not an ember,
Say it's me that you want to dismember.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Pedant on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm

licence = noun
license = verb

If in doubt, consider advice/advise.
Pedant

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:03 pm

[b]

Ok i got this too but I only use my TV for video games.

I don't watch TV.

I don't record TV programs.

It's not even tuned!

Also one of my flatmates got a license...I got an email saying if one person in your apartment has a license then you are ALL covered....?

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool

http://www.myspace.com/domlovestoshred
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby motorhead on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:10 pm

sminky pinky, dang dang diddy doo doo
motorhead

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 16:03, 24th Mar 2006
Also one of my flatmates got a license...I got an email saying if one person in your apartment has a license then you are ALL covered....?

Yes, if it's in a communal area like the kitchen or living room. Other than that every piece of receiving equipment needs a separate licence. Theoretically they can make you license your VCR as well as your TV...
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting motorhead from 16:10, 24th Mar 2006
sminky pinky, dang dang diddy doo doo

Sminky pinky bang-bang, B.A. Robertson.
Fawksie
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board