Home

TheSinner.net

Permission to proceed

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:01 am

no, cos if you're that sick, they expect you to tell them before you stop doing things, or immediately after, i.e. miss seminar, go to faculty, tell them, get abscence form and doctor's note. trust me, this has just happened to me, talk to dave roberts as soon as you can.
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby pala on Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:04 am

Damn it... so I guess there's no easy way out in this one
pala

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:12 am

It will only help but it will by no means guarntee salvation, presumably it's not only the missing of the seminars but also the fact that at the time you didn't make adequate excuses - and as my understanding goes...no let me go see if I can find an actual thing that says what the permission to proceed is...

*goes off looking*

Found it, okay here we go...

"Students must attend all tutorials or seminars. Absences must be explained satisfactorily to the tutor. Any unexplained absences will result in the loss of Permission to Proceed."

and further...

"Since the loss of Permission to Proceed, especially at honours level, can have very serious consequences and may even lead to a limitation or discontinuation of studies, it is the responsibility of the individual students to ensure that legitmate absences are promptyl notifed to the relevent Department in an appropriate fashion."

Which I believe was the the thrush of the PtP, putting the onus on the student to not get kicked in the balls but yes this would tend to show that you're not going to get out of this easily.

If you want to talk more, come to the Sinner Chatroom.
Prophet Tenebrae

DOH!

Postby KayBee on Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:18 am

Righty Ho - theres a few options and you are NOT screwed. If you went to see a doctor when you missed the seminars and he can testify you were genuinly ill - then you should be okay.

If you cant, I wouldnt really stress about it. You can still do the 1002 Ancient History, which is the important one which you need to get in to 2nd year. You can make up the missing modules credits (IE the one u might get booted from) in second year by doing a dip down to first year.

You are NOT screwed so dont sweat it okay? Just next time, set your alarm you plonker!
KayBee

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:11 am

The main thing you should bear in mind is that it is much better to talk to the people involved/in charge than to shy away from them.

They're there to help you get your degree, not to try to make you fail.
Oli

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:42 am

While I agree with Kaybee's sentiment that you aren't screwed - at least in so far as the wider picture is concerned. If you cared to read what I've reiterated at least 3 or 4 times already - even in the university knows you're suffering from a genuine and serious medical condition this might not get you off the hook.

It's happened to at least 2 people I know. I've never been an optimistic and from the way you've made things sound, your case for a reinstatement of your PtP isn't all that great - but like Kaybee said you have options don't worry.
Prophet Tenebrae

Losing PtP

Postby My one dream, my only MAS on Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:15 pm

(not TPT- that would be ridiculous)

If I have missed lectures (which I have, can't count the number I've missed) which have (or should have) approx 100 people in, do they seek you down and destroy you via the withdrawal of PtP?! and how do we know that we've lost it? are we meant to assume that we have if we haven't attended lectures? i wish i'd known about this before choosing Bakers Oven cheese pasties over Nichola Deane's enlightening poetry 'recitals' every Tuesday...
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
My one dream, my only MAS

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:25 pm

Yes, you're going to fail. :P
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby rae on Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:41 pm

Nichola Deane is sooooooo dull--does she actually recite FOR you? My MLitt class has had her for the past two weeks and she literally uses up half the class making us read the plays that we've already read out loud. I would choose ANYTHING over her class. Evil evil evil.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:34 pm

It is a difficult concept to grasp, I know.

"I am at university studying a subject. The university kindly has people giving lectures in this very subject. Should I go to them?"

However, you won't be failed for not attending lectures. You might fail through not knowing what you are expected to know. You will suffer if you miss tutorials/seminars etc.

[hr]"Life is a horizontal fall"
Al

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:39 pm

Surely first years get told all this hundreds of times at the start of the year? I know I got told several times in september how it all works and that was the start of my 4th year.
Generally speaking:

Lectures are neither compulsary or assessed.
Tutorials and seminars are compulsary and maybe assessed (depends on the department)
Coursework assignments are assessed.

If you miss more than a certain number (usually 2 or 3) of compulsary things without giving good reason (ie illness with a doctors note) you will loose your PtP.
If you don't get above a certain percentage mark in your coursework (the mark can vary quite a bit, depending on the department) you'll loose your PtP.

If you don't have a PtP you can't take the exam/have any more coursework assessed and so automatically fail the course.

That's the official word and it holds pretty rigid most of the time. As many people have pointed out, failing a module, especially in first semester in first year is not any kind of deal, especially a big one. It means you'll have to make up credits by doing something extra in first or second year but it need only be another (or the same) first year course so shouldn't present too big a challenge (if you choose the right subject for yourself).

[hr][s]If all this wisdom is true,
then I doubt it could really have come from you[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:46 pm

It's all very well saying you can just take an extra course in second year, or in the second semester, but don't forget that this takes extra time, and might be difficult to fit into your timetable.
There's also the extra stress at exam time.

Best thing would be to do the coursework, attend the tutorials and try not to get yourself into a situation where you need to appeal for your DP/ PtP.
Oli

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:15 pm

Good advice Thack but obviously in Pala's case, unfortunately too late to avert the current problem.

Speaking of which how are things going with it Pala?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby pala on Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:41 pm

Got an appintment with Dave roberts tomorrow to see what can be done... Any last advice?
pala

Re:

Postby Greebo on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:26 pm

Be honest with Dave?
He's there to help
Greebo

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:34 pm

i knew people in first year who got the whole withdrawl of dp (what it used to be called), and as long as they said that they were really wanting to work hard, but had been dispracted by personal stuff, they let them off with it.

Remember if they ask you what that personal stuff is you can tell them it's a sensitive issue and that they should mind their own business.

The most important thing to say is that the reasons for missing the seminars were due to you being unhappy with something in your private life, and that you really want to put it behind you. If you show that sort of attitude - that you understand where you are at and want to work, you should be fine.

If you're like "oh i didn't realise you had to go to them all" they'll probably have little sympathy - they see loads of students that can't be bothered working properly and they'll group you in with them
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:46 pm

So Evil's advice conflicts with Greebo's in that Evil is saying "lie as much as possible to save your ass". I tend to side with Evil.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Greebo on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:52 pm

To be honest they've probably heard the made up crap before, and can spot it - not to mention the fact that it seriously degrades the reason for those who actually *do* have problems.
Greebo

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:44 pm

Yeah Dave's really good when you're being honest but he's pretty sharp so watch out if you're making it all up.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:49 pm

dave roberts is a really nice guy, he's really helpful when you have *real* problems, so to be honest, if you're going in there with a shedload of lies to try and get back a dp that you lost through just not bothering to turn up to things, you shouldn't even bother - leave the appointments for people who *really* need them because they have genuine excuses.

(rant over)

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board