Home

TheSinner.net

Female Bodybuilding.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Female Bodybuilding.

Postby Rufus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:31 pm

I just watched a programme on channel five (yes, yes) about Joanna Thomas (she's the one in the middle), a British woman who from the age of fifteen has built up her body in order to compete in the world's most prestigious bodybuilding competition Miss Olympia.

Well, she's now 27, and she didn't get past the first round, after dehydrating herself and living solely on protein shakes and dried chicken for months beforehand. At the end I wanted to give her a hug.

Female bodybuilding fascinates me, the motivation behind wanting to transform your body so radically, the obsession and dedication required. What is the main driving force behind Bodybuilding? Extreme narcissism? Body Dysmorphia?

Anyway, I'm not really making a coherent point here (must lay off the nightly G&Ts).

Interestingly, there is a rather large discrepancy between the winnings of Miss Olympia and Mr Olympia.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Aaaaah! Thanks for giving me nightmares.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Fall and Ruin: Candidate Ewin
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby felix on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:36 pm

That's creepy! The one on the right especially, has a weird look in her eye, I don't like it! :(

[hr]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
felix

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting felix from 00:36, 6th Apr 2006
That's creepy! The one on the right especially, has a weird look in her eye, I don't like it! :(

[hr]

Heh. So she does. Sorry about that.
Rufus

Re:

Postby jenjenjen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:39 pm

The feminine version of body building is difficult to swallow, if you like, because the activity blatantly images a 'pure form of masculinity'. Thus when a female adopts this activity it makes us question what it is to be female/womanly/male/manly in society. Female body building sits uncomfortably between the oppossing sexual boundaries, don't you think?
We only come to know our true selves by living life on the edge
jenjenjen

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting jenjenjen from 00:39, 6th Apr 2006
The feminine version of body building is difficult to swallow, if you like, because the activity blatantly images a 'pure form of masculinity'. Thus when a female adopts this activity it makes us question what it is to be female/womanly/male/manly in society. Female body building sits uncomfortably between the oppossing sexual boundaries, don't you think?

Very well put. That's what makes it such an interesting lifechoice. None of these women want to become men, and strongly emphasise what feminine features they have left; hair, make-up, nails, tits etc. So, for them to effectively de-feminise themselves is intriguing.
I must find a female bodybuilder and ask her 'Why?' now.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 am

There was a bit in FHM or some magazine of that ilk where they interviewed the world no2 in bodybuilding. He had never been world number 1. His ambition was to be world number 1 and as soon as he achieved it, he would retire.

But, he was getting older, and the gap between first and second was growing larger. He had a nice house with his money pretty much sorted out, but he didn't have the strength to mow the lawn, and lived according to a ridiculous schedule of powernaps, grazing and working out.

Poor guy. I also wonder what makes people put their bodies through things like this.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am

Ambition.

Besides, who knows what all those steriods and things are doing to their bodies.

We don't need that ahppening again.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 am

I think it is exactly an attack on the boundary that separates masculine and feminine identities... a "Look we can do it too" to something considered very masculine, I imagine very empowering.

As for body building itself, I think it stems from one's idea of the body beautiful - everyone gets a kick out of looking in the mirror and deciding they look good, and if your idea of looking good is bulging biceps, a 6-pack like a bag of watermelons and quads bigger than your head, then you'll get a kick out of looking like just that.

[hr]

Mmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby davearnie on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:48 am

I would argue that the whole image of bodybuilding has went away from body beautiful!

Back in bodybuildings infancy, before it was hip and cool to workout at gyms and eat properly etc. There were a few guys at down and dirty gyms working out.

Back then circa late 60s, 70s - Schwarzenegger's era - it was a sub culture of society, bodybuilding shows would attract about 300 people.

Back then noone trained with weights, no athletes, no football stars or movie stars.

Schwarzenggers's era heralded the end of it being a little sub culture.

Thanks to one movie 'Pumping Iron'. If you have ever seen this movie, we all agree that the bodybuilders are BIG. But look again and compare them to todays bodybuilders. Schwarzengger and co were well proportioned and not the monsters of today. Yes they took steroids - that too was in its infancy, everyone did it to get that little edge , but in nowhere near the quantities of todays athletes and bodybuilders.

One could argue that their bodies were the 'ideal' as depicted by artists throughout the years. Compare their bodies to famous muscular sculptures, they are not far off, if a little bigger - but still as proportioned.

In contrast, the female version of this sport/art , was no where near like it was today. In fact, the female version still celebrated the female form. Yes the females were cut and muscles, but in a feminine way, not in a masculine steroid enhanced way.

All this golden era changed when pumping iron became so successful. Everyone started hitting the gyms, and bodybuilding became a monster.

It was really the judges and magazines fault, not just that of the bodybuilders. The judges and audiences demaned bulk, meat, size. So thats what bodybuilders had to do, whatever way possible.

Over the years, the judges awarded the top prizes not to who was the best proportioned, best sculpted specimin - as in the 70s - but to the most massive.
Bodybuilders had no choice but to get bigger and bigger to win these competitions. Once they had devoted themselves to training - a little more meat, a little more drugs, and eventually you are a monster.
The same thing happened over the female side.

I am sure that most sane intelligent bodybuilders would not think that their bodies are the ideal and beautiful any longer. Even the great Arnold Schwarzenegger - who hosts a massive event in his name each year - has questioned if todays bodybuilders have any merit and if the sport has went to far.

It is irony that before the 70s you were a freak to want to look good and train like a bodybuilder - that that attitude all changed with the 'Arnold Era' - and now we are back to looking upon bodybuilders as freaks once more.
davearnie

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:55 am

I don't know what the motivation is behind it, and I don't really have any real desire to find out either. All I know is; it's truly hideous. I just don't understand how anyone could want to look that way, plus the strain it puts the body under is absolutely immense.

I remember watching a programme about it once, and the female bodybuilder that was interviewed could lift massive weights etc. but apparently if you were to run a drawing pin over the surface of her skin then it would split, as it was a) so thin, and b) stretched to the max.

Yuk.

Plus, women who can beat me up tend to scare me in general.
Manic23

Return to The Sinner's Main Board