Home

TheSinner.net

Opportunity for mocking

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Opportunity for mocking

Postby Amorphous on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:22 pm

A friend just told me about this, and it's the scariest thing I've seen in a long while.

'Scuse the long URL:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141960 ... 2?n=283155

For those who fear unknown links, it's Amazon's product page for "British Born, American Bred : A Prince William Fanfiction" (yes, really).

I can't figure out what's most unsettling about it; the entire concept, the fact that it got published, or the fact that one of the user reviews seems to have been submitted by the author herself.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:42 pm

He doesn't have half that much hair.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:43 pm

I start the mocking at Emily returns to England as a young adult to attend St. Andrews University, and is amazed when the man of her dreams is sitting in her classroom!

Yes... St Andrews England.

and why does the cover illustration have a union jack with bits missing, emily with a surly face and william wearing a spacesuit sans helmet?

damnit, I actually want to read it to see how crap and how 'well researched' it actually is.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 pm

Fantastic stuff.

Re: the authoress
'Her hobbies include travel, furniture refinishing, and studying the British Royal Family, as well as collecting coffee mugs and elephant figurines from around the globe.'

Beats the usual list: reading, drawing, and listening to music.
Rufus

Re:

Postby liliputian on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 pm

doesn't appear to get a very good review...

British Born, American Bred is a fanfiction of Prince William's life from when we meet him at St.Andrews University right up until he dies as an old man, or rather an old, and much loved, King. To say this book is about Prince William and the narrator, fictional Emily Harrison who was born in Britain but brought up in America (hence the title), falling in love would be an understatement. William and Emily fall in love and get engaged within a year of meeting each other and in the first 50 pages of book. This book is more about their life together, troubles with the press and royal relatives as well as the trials of married life, being King and Queen, dealing with illness and parenthood.

This book wasn't what I expected at all and was really a disappointment; instead of being a fun and easy read that was great for relaxing, I found myself having to force myself to read a book I didn't enjoy. The writing was poor to say the least and rather than feeling the relationship between Prince William and the fictional Emily Harrison as it happened, I felt I, as the reader, was told what was happening as if it were some kind of report. Instead of falling in love as Emily did and experiencing the events as they unfolded, I felt cut-off from the story, while the large time-scale it was set in seemed over-ambitious. I really wanted a story of love, not a whole life's journey that was hard to comprehend; as a 15 year-old I can't really relate to having children, grandchildren and dying at eighty. The way Prince William spoke was cringy, scary and odd all at the same time, and as a British teenager I can certainly say that I don't know many people who talk like that (and those who do are rather un-flatteringly called chavs). Can you really imagine Prince William calling the girl he loved "Luv" or Prince Charles "pops"? - Scary. However if you are planning on reading the book, and do get beyond the first couple of pages, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 15 as the author attempts to write a rather explicit love scene early on.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:13 pm

The book was not what the person expected??? What would you expect from something like that?

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby James on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:16 pm

And this book is her first, implying more to come ... hmmm.
James

Re:

Postby JM on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting James from 20:16, 12th Apr 2006
And this book is her first, implying more to come ... hmmm.

anyone else feel a prince harry type book coming on complete with drug parties and war games?

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 pm

I really liked the coffee mugs and elephant figurines bit myself! It made me laugh, how funny.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Quoting Cain from 19:43, 12th Apr 2006
and why does the cover illustration have a union jack with bits missing, emily with a surly face and william wearing a spacesuit sans helmet?

This appears to be the Grand Union Flag, the flag of original 13 Colonies, featuring the original design of Union Jack (sans offset "St Patrick's" cross as added in 1801). It is based on the flag of the East India Company, but that had 9 stripes.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:29 pm

My initial reaction was one of complete bewilderment as to how such a book could be pubished. A quick Google search of "Booksurge Publishing" revealed that it is a publisher that the author pays to have their insane maunderings let loose on an unsuspecting world. That explains a lot.
Al

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 pm

The friend who told me about it in the first place has since done a bit of Googling and found an official website for the book, which apparently includes a 'what is Prince William up to now?' page. I was too scared to check it out myself.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 pm

We should get a bunch of people to club together and buy a copy of this book. Then, when it comes in, we split it into pieces so that everybody reads a bit, but not too much in case it's SO bad that they die. Then, we compare notes when we're finished.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:50 pm

"One man read two words of the joke, and had to be hospitalised."

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 22:50, 12th Apr 2006
"One man read two words of the joke, and had to be hospitalised."

That was exactly my thought. Will this book somehow find its way to Guantanamo Bay?

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby treehugger on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:12 am

Judging by the picture on the cover i think its safe to say that Emily is clingy, possesive and manically insecure. Id not be supprised to see her attempt to castrate William for not phoning her for 3 days before breaking down in a fit of self pity and delivering an emotional monologue bemoaning the pressures of growing up an overweight bruntette in image obsessed L.A.
treehugger

Re:

Postby Animal on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:26 am

Emily's HUGE!
Animal

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:13 am

Is it just me or has the author reviewed her own book?

[hr]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

Re:

Postby Animal on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 am

And covered up the fact (badly) by pretending she's called Katherine.
Animal

Return to The Sinner's Main Board