Home

TheSinner.net

Legends

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Legends

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:41 pm

Anyone care to nominate a lecturer for Legendary status?
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:01 pm

Hercules use to teach me Maths in first year. Oh, no. Wait... that's not right.

[hr][s]If all this wisdom is true,
then I doubt it could really have come from you[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:33 pm

Lucky bastard. I just got cougthing guy. He would clear his throught very noisily every 10 seconds. So got on your nerves.

[hr][s]Its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very special and strong-minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'Oh, random-flucuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aaargh, primitive-and-out-moded-concept on a crutch!' - Terry Pratchet, Men at arms[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:38 pm

What made me ask was that by biology lecturer Tucker recently dressed up as the devil and had a coversation beteen himself and the devil. And the point? To explain the lifecycle of some marine worm.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby richey on Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:20 pm

Tucker also recently pretended to be James bond to explain the proceedings of the Electron Transport chain.
richey

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:32 pm

coughing guy being Carins.
we counted a couple of times...

it's very annoying to sit through for an hour.

I would nominate Lars Olsen from maths,
- gave wine to the people with the best marks in the optional extra questions, was always cool, got an extended standing applause in the last lecture of the course.

Couldn't speak english perfectly but it added to his charm.
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:42 am

I would like to nominate Robert Crawford from the english dept. for impersonating an aeroplane and not turning up to a lecture because he 'forgot'.
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:16 pm

Also Dr Parry form the English department for giving lectures on how pointless the whole course is, living under the delusion he is Oscar Wilde and not turning up for a tutorial because he had blown up his gas cooker.

[hr]"Do not meddle in the affairs of slashers, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Dave on Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:23 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 19:38, 7th Dec 2002:
What made me ask was that by biology lecturer Tucker recently dressed up as the devil and had a coversation beteen himself and the devil. And the point? To explain the lifecycle of some marine worm.

Dr Tucker has been doing that for at least the past 15 years.
Dave

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:30 pm

Dr Tony Butler of Chemistry / medicine. His first year lecture on chirality involves him taking off his shoes to demonstrate that his shoes are chiral, but two teapots which he brings to the lecture are achiral. He then proceeds to show slides of various members of the university to demonstrate that symmetrical faces (like his) are more attractive than assymmetric ones, and then talks about the chirality of palindromes.

His example exam question was "In Alice Through the Looking Glass, Alice gives her cat a bowl of milk. However, as everything in looking-glass land is a mirror image of itself, would the cat have been able to digest the milk?"

His second year lecture on NMR involves him spining a child's wind-up spinning top to demonstrate spinning hyrogen atoms.

He is also full of advice on life in general - such as how to attract the perfect husband (learn how to bake creme caramel) and the perfect gift for someone if you are visiting them for dinner (a basket of mixed fruit).

He is the only lecturer I have come across who regularly receives a standing ovation at the end of his lectures. He really has to be seen to be believed.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Oli on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:10 am

Sounds great. An interesting lecturer really makes a difference when it comes to enthusiasm for a subject.

Was Alice's cat a mirror image, or was it just the milk?
Oli

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:32 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 11:10, 9th Dec 2002:
Was Alice's cat a mirror image, or was it just the milk?

No Alice's cat was normal, but the lactose in the milk would have been a mirror image of normal lactose, meaning that the enzymes in the cat would have been unable to digest it!
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby RaphX on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:41 pm

Ian Smith of Economics. Certainly made the EC1002 lectures easier to understand with his examples to back up the theory. Plus, I've never seen so many pieces of fruit fit onto the one desk.
[hr]Let it be a joke
Let it be a smile
Let it be a farce if it makes me laugh for a little while
Let it be a tear
Let it be a sigh
Coming from a heart, speaking to a heart, let it be a cry
RaphX

Professor BP Lenman of Modern History

Postby Cain on Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:37 pm

Professor BP Lenman of Modern History. The man who spends fifteen minutes of a lecture drawing pictures of galleons on the board, has a vocal range akin to Scooby Doo and teaches you about how to cut a horses head off with six stout blows of a bit of wood with a nail in it.

Dr Rick Fawn of IR
Not a man, but a machine. Tells you more in one lecture than most mortals can manage in three. The single most intense lecturer ever and he's unleashed on the first years just after reading week. People actually do tag team lecture writing because he gets through so much information that nobody can write that fast for a whole hour and they need a break. He is incapable of saying Chairman Mao, he has to bark the last bit: Chairman MAO! He grips the lectern so hard that you can see his knuckles turn white. and if you tough it out then by the end of the week you will know everything that you ever will need to know about the Cuban Missile Crisis
Cain

Re:

Postby Oli on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:01 pm

[s][b]immunodiffusion wrote on 12:32, [b]

No Alice's cat was normal, but the lactose in the milk would have been a mirror image of normal lactose, meaning that the enzymes in the cat would have been unable to digest it!

That's what I thought. I presume that if both were mirror images, then the cat wouldn't go hungry?

Mmm - chiral milk...
Oli

Maths

Postby JJ on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:47 pm

Does Mr Wolfe still teach 1st year Maths...... he used to be excellent at lecturing to the blackboard, just a pity he often forgot about the peeps sitting behind him in the lecture theatre.

I will never forget the lecture where someone interuptted hom to ask him what the time was... the place was in hysterics [think about it]

Sadly left from Physics is Dr Gribbon - he of the outrageous demonstration........ to prove that Ohm's law does not work on every case he demonstrated it on a sausage, and then make some poor swine that was late eat it! ........to illustrate a nuclear chain reaction he mounted 150 golf balls onto modified mouse traps - you can imagine the rest. He also demonstrated how safe liquid nitrogen was by throwing a bucket load over the front row - it evaporated by the time it 'hit' them - but scared the living s*** out of them.

[hr]Don't let your degree get in the way of your education - John Cleese (former Rector, St. Andrews)
JJ

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:47 pm

I think I'd also like to nominate two other biology staff. Dr Aiton for his numerous emails and wonderful hints for test contents. And also Dr Heitler. He appears somewhat disorganised (not great for a course organiser) but at least he has the skill of making insects appear interesting.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:42 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 14:47, 9th Dec 2002:
And also Dr Heitler. He appears somewhat disorganised (not great for a course organiser) but at least he has the skill of making insects appear interesting.

It's a trick, they're not interesting at all.
Dave

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:22 pm

Can I nominate M. Claude Brada of the maths department of the University of Avignon, where I did an Erasmus year. M. Brada looked like a cross between Fidel Castro and Andy Pandy, and muttered quietly into the board while scrawling inscrutably, left-handed and largely nonsensically. If a student came up to the board in the tutorial and wrote anything down, he'd immediately intervene with the equivalent of 'What the fuck are you doing? Only an idiot would start like that!' Other Brada gems were 'Ah, (Kensson): you don't do much geometry in England, do you?' and 'Now, let's imagine this in n dimensions.'

I got 1 out of 20 for that course, possibly the proudest element of my academic transcript.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby hopie4ever on Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:12 pm

id nominate shane bonetti for making me actually look forward to lectures especially in a subject i dont care about
hopie4ever

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board