Home

TheSinner.net

Too many Americans?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby spanish boys :) on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 am

Actually, only 10% of st andrews students are actually scottish!
scots get education for free so the uni makes money accepting foreigners.
Would be nice to have more scots in st andrews tho! and maybe more spanish guys would be nice ;)

About 30% of St Andrews students are internationl students,
spanish boys :)

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:37 am

Aaaargh. Scots are NOT educated for free, nobody is. What is not paid directly is paid by the government. How many times must I say this??

And your statistics are wrong too, see http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/publication ... tics.shtml
exnihilo

Re:

Postby bdw on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting exnihilo from 11:37, 25th Apr 2006

And your statistics are wrong too, see http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/publication ... tics.shtml

in fairness, the unreg did say 30% were international, which does correspond to the aggregate of the "Students from EU" and "Students from Overseas" sections of the linked document - or have I overlooked something in the document? Agree with the rest though.
bdw

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting exnihilo from 11:37, 25th Apr 2006
Aaaargh. Scots are NOT educated for free, nobody is. What is not paid directly is paid by the government. How many times must I say this??

I do like the fact that they dare not say what share are scottish, and they seem to think that the EU is isn't overseas..

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:35 am

The EU isn't overseas in the sense that citizens of EU member states are entitled to the same rights etc as home students.

The full figures aren't there, my apologies, but my recollection of the last report I saw from admissions is that Scots account for roughly 30% of the total University population or around 40% of the UK student population. Not as tragic as some would like to make it seem.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:45 pm

about 30% of students are international students.
About 10-12% are North American.
Therefore there are 18-20% of students who are international and yet not North American.

Quoting Lodestone from 10:07, 24th Apr 2006
About 30% of St Andrews students are internationl students, the majority of whom are American. Of the rest, most are English, but there's still a good number of Scots. It's a pretty good mixed demographic, apart from the overwhelming white majority, which sometimes irks.

You'll have no problem whatsoever mixing with English and Scottish students, as long as you don't let yourself get sucked into solely American circles.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board