Home

TheSinner.net

Moussaoui is spared death penalty

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Moussaoui is spared death penalty

Postby Guest on Thu May 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu May 04, 2006 12:34 pm

It's a shame we can't sentance people to torture they so clearly deserve.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 pm

Spending the rest of his life sharing a prison with the very people he wanted to kill is a fitting punishment.

Death and/or torture would just show the world that America is no better than the terrorists they fight

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu May 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Looking at it another way, this is an excellent thing. The guy is quite clearly up for some martyrdom, and the best punishment for him is to deny him that and keep him rotting in some godforsaken cell in Texas somewhere so he can be forgotten about, instead of being held up by people as some sort of "martyr for the case".

Speaking of martyrs, in my understanding of the word, none of these jihad chaps are martyrs anyway. A martyr is "one who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle", not one "who sacarafices other people or causes them to suffer in order to further a belief, cause or principle." Them are just terrorists.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Icarus on Thu May 04, 2006 1:23 pm

If they really wanted to punish that guy they should have locked him up and had a bunch of Christian fundamentalists come to his cell every day to try and convert him. That would have been torture.
Icarus

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm

I am likimg that idea :)
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Thu May 04, 2006 1:53 pm

A friend of mine wrote the best analysis I've seen:

"Jurors unanimously rejected the suggestion put forward by Moussaoui's defence that the death penalty would help fulfil the defendant's visions of martyrdom.

But three jurors felt his knowledge of the 9/11 plot was limited and another three said that if he was involved in the attacks, his role was a minor one.

Since a verdict for the death penalty must be unanimous, the judge had to go for life imprisonment without parole.

It's an example of the Western judicial system at its best. The prosecution, the defence, the judge, and not least, the jury all performed creditably. In the sort of rotten theocracy advocated by Al Qaeda motley crew of Islamo-fascists and deluded madmen, "justice" is neither guided by reason and the rule of law, nor tempered by mercy.

Moussaoui is wrong. It was a victory for Western liberal values and a defeat for oriental barbarism.

America 1, Al Qaida 0."

For my own part, retributive justice has always seemed insanely petty to me. Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord: it's not something we should be worried about. Prevention and rehabilitation is what justice should be aimed at.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby maz on Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 pm

YOu could lock this crazy up with him, she needs to be locked away too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G470rfJ ... patriotism

[hr]

Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com

maz

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Thu May 04, 2006 2:47 pm

her and her entire family by the looks of things - people liek that make me sick.

Quoting maz from 14:55, 4th May 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G470rfJ ... ch=Hannity Colmes Phelps Westboro Baptist Church troops America funeral bigot patriotism

[hr]

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu May 04, 2006 2:58 pm

The interviewer is a legend in that, he just attacks her out and out.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu May 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Those two would get along so well

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu May 04, 2006 3:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G470rfJ ... ch=Hannity Colmes Phelps Westboro Baptist Church troops America funeral bigot patriotism

That may well be the finest moment in the history of Fox News. I usually hate them, but that was truly respectable.

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Webbie on Thu May 04, 2006 4:02 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:34, 4th May 2006
It's a shame we can't sentance people to torture they so clearly deserve.

[hr]

"A civilisation is judged by how it treats its prisoners"

Winston Churchill
Webbie

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu May 04, 2006 4:09 pm

"Jurors did unanimously reject the suggestion...that the death penalty would help fulfil the defendant's visions of martyrdom."

Idiots.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool

This week oi ah've been mostly listenin' to:
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby novium on Thu May 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Oh, them. THey occasionally crop up in the news. It's some crazy inbred family cult, people are so uninamous in hating them that its hard to believe they're real. Bunch of laws have been passed just because of them. Also, there have been groups of veterans and etc who have taken to following them around and then shielding the families from them, from view of them, and drowning them out.

There have been one or two fights, but I can't say anyone really cares. I mean, I think it says something about the veterans more than anything, because I don't think anyone would really complain if they got the crud beat out of them.

[hr]

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Don on Thu May 04, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting Icarus from 14:23, 4th May 2006
If they really wanted to punish that guy they should have locked him up and had a bunch of Christian fundamentalists come to his cell every day to try and convert him. That would have been torture.

CU?

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg
Don

Re:

Postby Serves him right on Thu May 04, 2006 7:42 pm

Considering the sort of things that happen in American jails, I don't think he'll be saying 'America lost' again soon.

There will be plenty of inmates who will want to shower him with 'affection', he has that to look forward to... for the rest of his life.
Serves him right

Re:

Postby they were right on Thu May 04, 2006 10:38 pm

They were right for a number of reasons:

1. he'll be surrounded by Americans, who he hates and I'm sure will LOVE him.

2. he can't be viewed as a martyr if he's still alive. Even if the jurors disagreed, there would have been others who viewed him as a martyr

But most importantly, this demonstrates that democracy and trial by jury works and that there is no need to resort to torture and tribunals.
they were right

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri May 05, 2006 12:14 am

You assume americans in supermax jail have some love of the country that has imprisoned them until they die.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Fri May 05, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting flarewearer from 13:46, 4th May 2006
Looking at it another way, this is an excellent thing. The guy is quite clearly up for some martyrdom, and the best punishment for him is to deny him that and keep him rotting in some godforsaken cell in Texas somewhere so he can be forgotten about, instead of being held up by people as some sort of "martyr for the case".

Speaking of martyrs, in my understanding of the word, none of these jihad chaps are martyrs anyway. A martyr is "one who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle", not one "who sacarafices other people or causes them to suffer in order to further a belief, cause or principle." Them are just terrorists.

[hr]

Also all those suicide bombers are no martyrs, because committing suicide is not an act of martyrdom (is that the word?). Being captured and tortured to death by the enemy would be, but yeah, he screwed that one up...

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Return to The Sinner's Main Board