Home

TheSinner.net

Annoyances

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Al on Sat May 06, 2006 9:08 am

I'll drive wherever I like, thanks. I've more right to drive on the road than a ped has to walk on it."

Says who? The law gives no greater rights to drivers.
Al

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat May 06, 2006 9:17 am

I'm with Kylie on the sprogs thing. Though I hate them more in pubs and restaurants than in supermarkets. Children tearing about or shrieking and yelling and their parents just sitting there smiling benignly as if to say "look at the gift I give to you, the joy of children!", I don't want children. Sorry, but pubs and restaurants are not daycare centres. Given what it does to my blood pressure, the risks from "passive parenting", that is of having these monsters inflicted on my pleasant quiet meal or drink, is far higher than that of passive smoking.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat May 06, 2006 9:31 am

It's an Americanism derived from a common Yiddish construction of phrasing things as questions. Think of it less as a bald statement, "I could care less." and more as a question (accompanied by Hebraic shrug), "I could care less?"
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Kristin on Sat May 06, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting exnihilo from 10:17, 6th May 2006
I'm with Kylie on the sprogs thing. Though I hate them more in pubs and restaurants than in supermarkets. Children tearing about or shrieking and yelling and their parents just sitting there smiling benignly as if to say "look at the gift I give to you, the joy of children!", I don't want children. Sorry, but pubs and restaurants are not daycare centres. Given what it does to my blood pressure, the risks from "passive parenting", that is of having these monsters inflicted on my pleasant quiet meal or drink, is far higher than that of passive smoking.

Well said, well said...

[hr]

Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Kristin

Re:

Postby Al on Sat May 06, 2006 10:48 am

Annoyances, eh? You mean like people accusing others of "pedantry" rather than acknowledging they were wrong?
Al

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat May 06, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting duckgirl from 00:48, 6th May 2006
PEOPLE WHO DRIVE IN THIS FUCKING TOWN.
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN A CAR IN ST.ANDREWS - did you not learn how to walk for god's sake...?

Well, there are plenty of reasons to have a car in St Andrews, like anywhere else, and if one has a car, why not use it from time to time?

I, for one, am glad Dunqn has a car, because I sure as hell wasn't carrying several boxes of Kronenbourg back from Morrissons on my own.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Kat on Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am

3 health food shops on one street. Who wants a health food shop anyway!
Kat

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat May 06, 2006 11:25 am

Slow walkers.
Slow walkers who take up the whole pavement.
Slow walkers who take up the whole pavement while eating a packet of Tesco Custard Tarts as part of their nutritious lunch.
People (British) who correct Americans when they use an Americanism. Sure it annoys you, sure you wouldn't use it yourself, but how fucking arrogant can you get to correct someone for not talking like you?

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Smith on Sat May 06, 2006 11:32 am

British people who use americanisms and don't realise it.

People who text and instead of typing in "I'll meet you in half an hour" you get "mt u in 30" fucksake, what the fuck does that mean? I hate sms more than anything else.

Oh yeah, people who get up at 6am and somehow think they are a superior person for it.

And, people that frown upon still being in bed in the afternoon, not realising that most nights we dont make it to bed until the very late hours of the morning, its not like we sleep 16 hours a day, you know.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting DrAlex from 12:25, 6th May 2006
Slow walkers.
Slow walkers who take up the whole pavement.
Slow walkers who take up the whole pavement while eating a packet of Tesco Custard Tarts as part of their nutritious lunch.
People (British) who correct Americans when they use an Americanism. Sure it annoys you, sure you wouldn't use it yourself, but how fucking arrogant can you get to correct someone for not talking like you?

[hr]

To be fair, though, as rude as it may be to correct someone like that to their face, if they're speaking English and fucking it up then I'm sure an English person has every justification for correcting their language... even if I wouldn't do it myself, and the fact I'm not English, but y'know. If I was speaking French, for instance, and not speaking it correctly I wouldn't be pissed off if a Frenchman corrected me. I know it's slightly different with as widely spoken a language as English with regional and national variations, but the principle is the same. I'm not on about obvious differences in pronounciation and things... but the more blatant construction of sentences and phrases that actually make no logical sense (see previous posts for examples).

Another annoyance... customers who don't say thank you or acknowledge you working in a shop. You know the sort who just throw their product down on the counter, hand you money, walk off without so much as a smile or meeting of the eyes. Twats.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat May 06, 2006 11:46 am

Rogue apostrophe's just get on my wick unbelievably

Also, people using superlatives when they need a comparative as in That'll Teach 'em saying "who will do best, the boys or the girls?"

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Al on Sat May 06, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting dunqn from 12:14, 6th May 2006
There's another one, jumping to conclusions. Did I accuse you of pedantry? No, I said it was an annoyance.

Quoting Al from 11:48, 6th May 2006
Annoyances, eh? You mean like people accusing others of "pedantry" rather than acknowledging they were wrong?

I never said you did. Your point merely reminded me of it. That's all.
Al

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat May 06, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting box_of_delights from 12:34, 6th May 2006
To be fair, though, as rude as it may be to correct someone like that to their face, if they're speaking English and fucking it up then I'm sure an English person has every justification for correcting their language

I just went to wash my dishes and I thought of that contingency. I think the difference is that grammar is universal, there is absolute right and wrong, but cultural differences can be right in one place and wrong in another. Consider an example: Would anyone here correct a Geordie for saying he didn't have a "scooby" about a situation? It's a regional colloquialism, just like "y'all". I'm sure there are plenty more examples of diffences within British English that people wouldn't correct; it's just the correction of American English that I've encountered.

Having said that, I'll add "people who deny the existance of American English". I think the history of the dialect is silly, I write "colour" and write/say "aluminium", but I don't deny that there is a distinct difference in the dialects.

Also people who don't realise the volume of their own voice. This can be when drunk or sober, but everyone should know how loud they are and control it.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Colleen on Sat May 06, 2006 11:50 am

Cyclists who think they have every right to go through a red light, or cycle on the wrong side of the road, or the wrong way up a one-way street, or in the middle of the road, or the pavement, or never wear bright clothing, or basically have never read the Highway Code...

Really, really annoys me that they basically consider themselves the gods of the road and nearly cause a lot of accidents.
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby motorhead on Sat May 06, 2006 12:10 pm

People who drive short distances in cars when they could clearly shed a few pounds by getting off their fat fucking arses and walk.

Oh yes and girls who dont put out
motorhead

Re:

Postby Planet Telex on Sat May 06, 2006 12:11 pm

Those little price stickers you get on books and record sleeves that you can't get off without it tearing and leaving loads of horrible bits or ripping your book/sleeve.

They drive me loopy

[hr]

IMAGE:www.fantascienza.net/sfpeople/emilio.saturnini/bear.gif
IMAGE:www.forl.co.uk/003/images/dont_say_02.gif
Planet Telex

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat May 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting harmless loony from 01:09, 6th May 2006
Lol....Jeeez Kylie....what bit your bum?

My dissertation going slowly. And also- another annoyance-

people who cough away without putting their hand over their mouth.

I would personally like to thank the woman sitting opposite me on the train from Oxford to didcot last week. After you sat repeatedlycoughing your guts up right next to me, I have now suffered a horrific flu virus that made every bone in my body ACHE, that made my nose run like a bloody tap and my throat turn to sandpaper.

I hate people whp spread their germs about like that. Especially since I have a much reduced immune system and whenever I catch anything it affects my autonomics and my cardiac stuff. ARGHHHHHHH!

ARGH! Why don't people have MANNERS?! I don't mean as in eating with the right fork and spoon or anything that pretentious, but I mean in terms of just CONSIDERING other people, you know?!

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/

http://www.dinet.org/stories8.htm#never
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Smith on Sat May 06, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting KateBush from 15:10, 6th May 2006
Quoting harmless loony from 01:09, 6th May 2006
Lol....Jeeez Kylie....what bit your bum?

My dissertation going slowly. And also- another annoyance-

people who cough away without putting their hand over their mouth.

I would personally like to thank the woman sitting opposite me on the train from Oxford to didcot last week. After you sat repeatedlycoughing your guts up right next to me, I have now suffered a horrific flu virus that made every bone in my body ACHE, that made my nose run like a bloody tap and my throat turn to sandpaper.

I hate people whp spread their germs about like that. Especially since I have a much reduced immune system and whenever I catch anything it affects my autonomics and my cardiac stuff. ARGHHHHHHH!

ARGH! Why don't people have MANNERS?! I don't mean as in eating with the right fork and spoon or anything that pretentious, but I mean in terms of just CONSIDERING other people, you know?!

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/

http://www.dinet.org/stories8.htm#never

In all probability, breathing her air for that amount of time would have given you the flu anyway.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sat May 06, 2006 2:21 pm

1. People who are unnecessarily rude to restaurant staff.

On more than one occasion I have had to restrain myself from stabbing my Grandfather with a fork when he has been particularly arrogant to perfectly competent waiters.

2. People who leave their dogs tied up outside shops longer than five minutes. How can they do that?! It's tantamount to tying your child up.

3. People who can't hold cutlery properly. It's not hard, and they are not gardening implements.

4. People who do not say thank you when I hold a door open for them.

5. People who mistreat books- cracking the spine, using kippers as bookmarks, folding the corner of the page down, that sort of thing.
Rufus

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat May 06, 2006 2:51 pm

All of you annoy me.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board