Home

TheSinner.net

may ball

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun May 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Quoting hmmmhaveabanana from 15:21, 7th May 2006
Of course its a bit more expensive because some of the money goes to charity but thats a debate in itself, perhaps we should just have a non-charitable may ball (which then wouldnt be organised by the KK).

Oh how I laughed.

Anyone else feel like correcting this poor soul?

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby fudge on Sun May 07, 2006 4:35 pm

I had a really good time. Only complaint being the weather but thats not anyones fault. One question thou...why is it held the week before revision week instead of straight after exams when we all can get blootered and not have to get up the next morning to revise?!
fudge

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sun May 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting dunqn from 16:50, 7th May 2006
The most?

Judging by the amount of ranting and raving that usually goes on, I think he's right.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby smiley on Sun May 07, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting fudge from 17:35, 7th May 2006
I had a really good time. Only complaint being the weather but thats not anyones fault. One question thou...why is it held the week before revision week instead of straight after exams when we all can get blootered and not have to get up the next morning to revise?!

Totally agree, that would be much better. I had a great time at the ball but was stone cold sober all night. Definitly didn't make use of the free bar. Have been in the library all day and am heading back there after dinner. Revision sucks. Bring on the grad ball!
smiley

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun May 07, 2006 5:42 pm

I for one thoroughly enjoyed the May Ball. I definitely got my money's worth of travel, drink, food and entertainment. The KK guys come in for a lot of stick for a lot of things but they undeniably put a huge amount of effort into the night and should be congratulated.

Also, I'm not sure we can really blame the weather on them, even if all our nice clothes did get a little muddy.

I'll be back, but I certainly can't pay £100-150 for my ticket. £60 suited me fine.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Tarquin on Sun May 07, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 17:11, 7th May 2006
Quoting hmmmhaveabanana from 15:21, 7th May 2006
Of course its a bit more expensive because some of the money goes to charity but thats a debate in itself, perhaps we should just have a non-charitable may ball (which then wouldnt be organised by the KK).

Oh how I laughed.

Anyone else feel like correcting this poor soul?

[hr]

I love cheese.

Why would he need to be corrected? Seems to be a reasonable point to make...
Tarquin

Re:

Postby scratter on Sun May 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:31, 7th May 2006
Quoting Lodestone from 13:24, 7th May 2006
Most importantly, no-one but good people there.

I can guarentee your definition of 'good people' is nothing close to mine, so I for examle would most likele have hated this other ball.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.

I can assure you that 'this other ball' was full of people less up themselves and pretentious as that one. They were all good people - far better than the penny pinchers that organised a wet through piss up in a barn (and only just managed to do that, by many accounts).

It was, I assure you, a totally non hateful and very fun night.
scratter

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun May 07, 2006 8:31 pm

2004 ball was AMAZING! Had the best night. Couldn't buy tickets last year cos they were sold out in days. This year they couldn't give them away... which speaks volumes for how last year's was received.

However, based on 2004's ticket price (can't remember how much, but around £70 I think) it was well worth it. Imagine how much money you'd spend in a bar to get that amount of free drink... I had goodness knows how many triples. Add on top of that fairground rides, gorgeous hot dogs and burgers (of which I consumed about 5), the live music and the transportation etc. it's not at all bad for the money.

Didn't go this year because none of my friends were, but for our last year we're all keen to go, and also to hear the views of last night. It'll be interesting to see if the new ticketing system is deemed a success.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun May 07, 2006 8:44 pm

I was working at the ball this year, a I did in 2004 and 2005, and I attended the ball in 2003. Nothing will beat 2003 for me (i think that has to do with nostalgia though) but this years ball was certainly the best in the last three years. Everyone went crazy for GLC and even though one of the guys from fun lovin' criminals was an arrogant prick ( yes you are you fucking twat ) they sounded ace.

The bars were so smooth this year in comparison to the last 3 years. You could get a beer in under a minute from the beer only bars and the queues for the main bar were so short.

The only major problem with the night was the queue for the crepe de la crepe stand. The organisers should really have considered that demand for this service would be as great as it was. It did amaze me that people were actually wilng to queue for so long though for a crepe. It was a bit unfortunate that the queue turned a bit aggressive as the occupants became more and more drunk. Thankfully we were able to get it under control. Thanks to the girl who said tat she didn't envy my job - kinda made a change from the usual huffy little bint who normally scowls or shouts at being asked politely to do something which is both completely logical and an aid to their confort.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 07, 2006 9:19 pm

BIG improvement on last year- you could actually get a drink. The whole thing felt a lot more organised and I really enjoyed myself. Well done!

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 07, 2006 9:20 pm

But WHY was everyone returning at 1 am if it was that good?

Back in 2004, I remember strolling in the door at 3 am (and we were some of the first to leave).

Posted by Steveo at 16:36, Today

It was superb in 2004.
Just follow that exact model, and I'd pay £100-150 for a VIP ticket.

I agree.

I went last year again and it was crap in comparison.

Re:

Postby fine night by me on Sun May 07, 2006 9:21 pm

I gotta tell you all, this ball was the best that I had been to. five years of 'em. glc was better than i thought then they would be (which in itself is not saying much). no drinks queues, and the food was way better.

the only downside was the rain. of course, the KK guys planned to have the ball on a rainy day, just to spoil it.

by the way, you all complain too much
fine night by me

Re:

Postby maenad on Sun May 07, 2006 10:09 pm

What exactly made the 2004 ball so great, out of interest?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Sid on Sun May 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 21:44, 7th May 2006
one of the guys from fun lovin' criminals was an arrogant prick ( yes you are you fucking twat ).

Yeah, 'cause he reads the sinner.
Sid

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun May 07, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting Sid from 23:27, 7th May 2006
Quoting munchingfoo from 21:44, 7th May 2006
one of the guys from fun lovin' criminals was an arrogant prick ( yes you are you fucking twat ).

Yeah, 'cause he reads the sinner.

If he's that arrogant, he's likely to be egotistic, thus will probably google his band name regularly, and it's bound to get indexed soon :P

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

May Ball too expensive?

Postby flarewearer on Sun May 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Might I offer a bargain alternative that is guaranteed to offer just as much fun for a fraction of the cash;

[img]http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/youdothemath.jpg[/img]

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby maz on Sun May 07, 2006 11:45 pm

I had a great time. Even with the weather. Did feel sorry for the girls in floor length beautiful pale dresses though, who obviously will be paying a fortune in dry cleaning this week.
It was much better than the first time it was at kinkell, which in itself was a vast improvement on the last one at craigtoun.

I think it was worth the money, and the fun lovin criminals did a great dj set. had a great time. :)

[hr]

Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
maz

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Mon May 08, 2006 12:00 am

£70 buys me a new pair of headphones, a new cd, a bottle of gin and a substancial quantity of change.

Hearing all the responses, im glad i decided to skip the meh ball.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby scratter on Mon May 08, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting duckgirl from 15:27, 7th May 2006
I would pay £70 for lots of wine and beer etc, drum&bass DJs, theatre groups, crazy atmosphere, a fire, lots of dancing in unlimited space, and cool people...

Indeed. Someone award her a medal.
scratter

Re:

Postby I_Have_Super_Powers on Mon May 08, 2006 6:53 am

Bay Ball was epic and awesome combined in some undetermined proportion...
I_Have_Super_Powers

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board