Home

TheSinner.net

may ball

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

may ball

Postby nighteyes on Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 am

im sorry but i thought it was shit.
cold, wet, the music was crap, the food was crap, the drink didnt get me drunk, overcrowded, underseated...it was so bad my girlfriend and i actually laughed all the way home - it was so bad it was funny...ive never had such a bad night, and payed 65 pounds for the non pleasure.
i have done the may ball - never agian!
should have just gone out for a good meal and had a bottle of wine on the couch with a movie. cheaper and nicer - i know better for next year.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun May 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Yeah, not a shock really.

Some people like it, some don't.

I didn't go this year because they scrapped the VIP tickets.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun May 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Yeah I saw the state of the weather last night and I feel bad for everyone who went.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun May 07, 2006 12:19 pm

I had loads of fun but then i had loads to drink which might have helped :-)

Dunno if it was worth £70 but it was definitely a good night for me.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Sun May 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Bay Ball, on the other hand, was incredible. I can't believe just what an atmosphere there was there considering the weather--arrived a wee bit after eleven and felt immediately buoyed by an amazingly good vibe. Singing, bonfires, mulled wine, fire-swingers, improptu improv and a pretty damn good DJ (props if you're reasing): I've never seen St Andrews students actually dancing properly before. Most importantly, no-one but good people there.

Really special party.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm

I'll put this story in the file next to "Dog Bites Man"

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun May 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting Lodestone from 13:24, 7th May 2006
Most importantly, no-one but good people there.

I can guarentee your definition of 'good people' is nothing close to mine, so I for examle would most likele have hated this other ball.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun May 07, 2006 12:41 pm

I thought it pretty good. However there were some bad points, which, as always, I'll ignore the good parts to dwell upon

* Where were those advertised chocolate fountains?
* Food queues, in annoying places too restricting access to the dancefloor and the main entrance
* Pointless one way systems
* Goldie Lookin' Chain

The rest was great.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Krissy on Sun May 07, 2006 12:49 pm

I honestly was underwhelmed; May Ball did not live up to my expectations based on the price and what I had heard from others. I expected a ball and it reminded me too much of a rave; if I had wanted a rave, I would have gone to one. However, I realize that this all could be because I was too drunk to function from the continuously (well, until 2am) flowing double vodka and orange juice. Not worth the money this year.
Krissy

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Sun May 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:31, 7th May 2006

I can guarentee your definition of 'good people' is nothing close to mine, so I for examle would most likele have hated this other ball.

But you're a Tory, and therefore by definition your opinions don't matter.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby kitty on Sun May 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Ah but steve, I was there. Would you not consider me 'good people'?

Quoting Steveo from 13:31, 7th May 2006

[hr]

kitty

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun May 07, 2006 1:32 pm

Did I see you last night Lodestone, or had I passed out by then. I feel very very ill now, and I still stink of bonfire, and there's sand everywhere, but it was fun, and we cleared up the mess this morning.

Hurray for the Bay Ball.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Sun May 07, 2006 2:21 pm

I thought it was really good, there can certainly be no complaints about queues for drinks. Yes, there was a large queue for food at the very start but later on you could pretty much just walk straight up to get some (except the crepe queue, that needs to be improved for next year). I too also wondered what happended to those chocolate fountains. Zebrajam were amazing as usual-fantastic dress Monique! I also loved La Bamba and I had forgotten how much fun dodgems are. It was a bit sad that it rained but it didnt spoil it too much for me.

There will always be those who say that its too expensive but bearing in mind how much it costs to put up marquees and staff it, not to mention the music and food, its hard to imagine they could charge much less. Of course its a bit more expensive because some of the money goes to charity but thats a debate in itself, perhaps we should just have a non-charitable may ball (which then wouldnt be organised by the KK).

The problem with the ball is that however good it is there are always going to be people who criticise it simply because its run by the KK; I expect that if it wasnt then people wouldnt be as focussed on the negatives. I also think that the amount of people there was a good number. Perhaps some extra-special things like helicopter rides would be awesome (although of course that pushes up the price and makes it a whole lot more complicated to run).

If you think it is too expensive, what would you pay £70 for? (try to be realistic about what you could actually get for that amount).

Anyway, I think Adrian (and the rest of the club) have put a hell of a lot of work in to that ball and I think they did a very good job (especially bearing in mind they are doing it on top of all their academic work).Thanks guys! And also I think all the staff need a pat on the back for making it run smoothly, like checking that we knew we were in the food line and not a line to get in, good idea.

Thanks for great May Ball.
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby duckgirl on Sun May 07, 2006 2:27 pm

I would pay £70 for lots of wine and beer etc, drum&bass DJs, theatre groups, crazy atmosphere, a fire, lots of dancing in unlimited space, and cool people...

Quoting hmmmhaveabanana from 15:21, 7th May 2006

If you think it is too expensive, what would you pay £70 for? (try to be realistic about what you could actually get for that amount).
duckgirl

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting hmmmhaveabanana from 15:21, 7th May 2006
(especially bearing in mind they are doing it on top of all their academic work)

Oh my God they managed to organise a ball with all the pressure of St Andrews academic work on them, all the rest of us just do academic work all year we don't do anything else during term time, but they sorted out a ball as well, well done them.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby Laura on Sun May 07, 2006 3:04 pm

I didn't expect to like it very much but was pleasantly surprised- the food was good and plentiful, Goldie Lookin' Chain were really good live and I never waited more than five minutes for a drink. The dodgems were also pretty cool... just a shame about the rain but that's hardly the fault of the organisers..

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Pan on Sun May 07, 2006 3:31 pm

yeah. And the castle ceilidh is still to come!

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun May 07, 2006 3:36 pm

It was superb in 2004.

Just follow that exact model, and I'd pay £100-150 for a VIP ticket.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun May 07, 2006 3:49 pm

It's always in revision week, so I never go - hence my opinions are a bit baseless. But going on the volume of criticism generated on this board, this year's seems the most successful thus far.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun May 07, 2006 3:54 pm

I rather enjoyed it, although like Thalia, maybe that was just because I got rather drunk. ;) The queues for drinks weren't too bad (the union is often worse on a Friday), and it's a shame it rained, but for the most part I had a rather good time. Whether it was worth £70 is perhaps another thing, but hey, it was good fun.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board