Home

TheSinner.net

strike latest

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

strike latest

Postby wondering on Mon May 08, 2006 8:21 pm

any update on the strike?

when will we know what exams are def going ahead?

i saw on the email from the Principal last week all exams were asked to be set by 5pm today. Any news?

It would just be good to know when we will have them, and if we will have to come back early september. Im working abroad all summer and ought to book flights and let them know if i have to leave early.

Would be grateful for news

Thanks
wondering

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Tue May 09, 2006 8:46 am

Well, yesterday was the deadline for having papers in for them to go into the current exam timetable... although so long as the paper is submitted before May 15th, it will be able to go into a rearranged timetable (i.e. you'll have it later in the exam diet).

As for the strike itself... the AUT just rejected another pay deal. D'oh.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4983898.stm

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 am

Coverage of the St Andrews demo is in the education supplement of the guardian today for all those who were concerned about the lack of media coverage.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Little Miss Giggles on Tue May 09, 2006 11:02 am

Hee hee so much for keeping low profile loony!!!!!
Little Miss Giggles

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue May 09, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting harmless loony from 11:57, 9th May 2006
Coverage of the St Andrews demo is in the education supplement of the guardian today for all those who were concerned about the lack of media coverage.

If only I could bring myself to buy the Grauniad

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby FieryFairy on Tue May 09, 2006 11:18 am

So is there any way of finding out which exams are definitely on and which are still in limbo?

My exams won't be affected, but I'm asking for people who are.
FieryFairy

Re:

Postby liliputian on Tue May 09, 2006 11:25 am

Last night I was speaking to Lorraine Fraser, (the academic registrar, the person in charge of coming up with the exam timetable amongst other things) and she told me that she's only waiting on a small handful of exams now and is expecting to have them all by late today, maybe Wednesday. So fingers crossed - we should be all sitting exams before May 26th. When they'll get marked is anyone's guess though...

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

liliputian

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue May 09, 2006 11:28 am

all my exams are in - now all that is left is to sit the buggers and then wait for them to be marked.
as long as they start marking things before september.
if they dont then whats the script for getting into honours?

Quoting liliputian from 12:25, 9th May 2006
Last night I was speaking to Lorraine Fraser, (the academic registrar, the person in charge of coming up with the exam timetable amongst other things) and she told me that she's only waiting on a small handful of exams now and is expecting to have them all by late today, maybe Wednesday. So fingers crossed - we should be all sitting exams before May 26th. When they'll get marked is anyone's guess though...

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby holden caulfield on Tue May 09, 2006 11:32 am

I just got an email from one of my tutors saying he has decided to stop with the strike because he thinks the uni pay deal was fair and he is now marking essays and exams - yay!

I don't thnik i ought to post his name in case the "militant" AUT members try to persuade him to change his mind.
holden caulfield

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue May 09, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Lid from 12:16, 9th May 2006
Quoting harmless loony from 11:57, 9th May 2006

If only I could bring myself to buy the Grauniad

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are
multi-millionaires

If only I could bring myself to care whether you buy it or not, you floppy-haired malcontent.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Tue May 09, 2006 11:46 am

One of my lecturers e-mailed me today to say that he'd decided to end his action. This has been such a messy end to the strike, with departments caving in and lecturers scabbing or sticking without any co-ordination. And the blame for that has to lie with the utter mismanagement by the national AUT. It pisses me off, it really does. Unions need to be so much more careful and sensible if they're to survive as a institution.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue May 09, 2006 12:29 pm

The end of Trades Unions?

Please, sir, please.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:29, 9th May 2006

Please, sir, please.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.

I hate Trade Unions. Nothing they're ever given is ever good enough for them, and they bring the whole country to a standstill.

Thatcher was right to crush the miners' unions during the 80's. Trade Unions are illegal in Japan, and look how productive they are.

Back to the issue at hand, we got an e-mail from Computer Science yesterday - the exams are going ahead for us, but the format's changed - no multiple choice[img]littleicons/yellowsadface.gif[/img].

But they do say it's "uncertain" as to when the marking will actually happen.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm

which exam gave you multiple choice? ffs - they really are dumbing those exams down.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Tue May 09, 2006 1:44 pm

I'm about to go over to College Gate to talk with them about it. I'll let post what I can when I get back.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Tue May 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Please, sir, please.

You mean what?

Particulr Unions have been broken before, and they'll be broken again if they're not careful.

I hate Trade Unions. Nothing they're ever given is ever good enough for them,

That would be because the conomy develops, and what was once acceptable becomes no longer so.

and they bring the whole country to a standstill.

That would be rather the point. Except they don't any more, since sympathy striking was made illegal. They hamper bits of the country. Witholding production being the only tool workers actually have.

Trade Unions are illegal in Japan, and look how productive they are.

Productivity is not a measure of quality of life, which is surely more important.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby M_A_T_T_H_E_W on Tue May 09, 2006 1:52 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 14:01, 9th May 2006
which exam gave you multiple choice? ffs - they really are dumbing those exams down.

CS1002 last Semester did, CS1004 this Semester was meant to but no longer.

[hr]

Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
M_A_T_T_H_E_W

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Tue May 09, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting Lodestone from 14:47, 9th May 2006

Please, sir, please.

You mean what?

Particulr Unions have been broken before, and they'll be broken again if they're not careful.

I hate Trade Unions. Nothing they're ever given is ever good enough for them,

That would be because the conomy develops, and what was once acceptable becomes no longer so.

and they bring the whole country to a standstill.

That would be rather the point. Except they don't any more, since sympathy striking was made illegal. They hamper bits of the country. Witholding production being the only tool workers actually have.

Trade Unions are illegal in Japan, and look how productive they are.

Productivity is not a measure of quality of life, which is surely more important.

Thank you.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 pm

Examinations have been submitted by all but three members of staff, all of whom are in the School of Modern Languages. In total, examination papers for five modules have not been submitted/are not in the process of being submitted.

The students on those modules will be told later today/early tomorrow. What happens to those exams depends on if the members of staff submit the papers and when the industrial action comes to an end.

Not speaking on behalf of the Association, I would like to just say that I think that those of you who are decrying trades unions really need to take a look at reality. Trades Unions have a hugely important role to play in protecting staff. And as to strikes, the withholding of labour is the only power that workers have and doing it as part of a co-ordinated action is more effective in the raising of salaries.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Tue May 09, 2006 3:03 pm

Reilly's a red-in-the-bed!

:-D
Lodestone

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board