Home

TheSinner.net

*RANT ALERT*

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

*RANT ALERT*

Postby harmless loony on Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 am

If you don't want to read a rant then don't read any futher......

Right this is to those little f****** in New Hall who thought it'd be oh so bloody funny to play knock a door dash on my door all f****** night.

I've complained to the RAs about you and I damn well hope something bad happens you - it's no more then you tossers deserve.

Unlike you pathetic life forms, some of us are trying to get on peacefully in hall and finish our dissertations. I was udner enough strain trying to study last night without u lot banging on my door extremely loudly.

Additionally, I'm glad you found breaking into our kitchen and stealing our food (and my bloody breakfast) funny. I hope you bloody well choke on it - that'll teach you a damn good lesson.

I really hope before your exams someone does that to you and so you go on to fail - after all it's no more then you pathetic life forms deserve. Why not just go back to the little swamp you crawled out of and leave the rest of us to go on behaving a little bit more maturely.

I am sorry but I really had to get that out of my system an all nighter plus no food is not a good combination for me. As an anaemic I actually need to eat and now I have to wait for tescos to open. :(
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Smith on Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 am

to be honest it serves you right for living in a hall in your final year, if you are staying in new hall, it's pretty clear you could afford to stay in a private flat, which would of course have offered you a lot more privacy.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed May 10, 2006 4:19 am

You know that is absolute crap right? Never had a problem for almost 4 years and now suddenly it's my fault because I wasn't around last year to get a private flat so opted for halls?

Jeeeeez.....no wonder society is going to pieces when instead of condemning bad behaviour people take it out on those who are trying to get on with life.

99% of New Hall doesn't feel the need to behave like wankers so should we all move out to accomodate those 1% of wankers?

PS: I wouldn't have been able to move out anyway even if I wanted to given I'm contracted in as the New Hall Ambassador.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby kats on Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 am

I totally sympathise with you harmless loony. It is hard enough trying to study for exams and work in fourth year with graduation looming, jobs etc and what you want it to be able to close your door and work or sleep in peace! Those idiots have nothing better to do and should be kicked out of hall seriously. My first year in new hall was hell as people would do the same knocking games all through the night.... REAL MATURE! I'm really sorry you had to put up with that... it's not fair. I hope the RAs can do something about it!! And if you ever need food, I'm in a flat and you are welcome to any of it!...just email me at ko6... my computer is on most of the time so I will hear the "bing" whatever time of night!!
kats

Re:

Postby Smith on Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting harmless loony from 05:19, 10th May 2006
You know that is absolute crap right? Never had a problem for almost 4 years and now suddenly it's my fault because I wasn't around last year to get a private flat so opted for halls?

Jeeeeez.....no wonder society is going to pieces when instead of condemning bad behaviour people take it out on those who are trying to get on with life.

99% of New Hall doesn't feel the need to behave like wankers so should we all move out to accomodate those 1% of wankers?

PS: I wouldn't have been able to move out anyway even if I wanted to given I'm contracted in as the New Hall Ambassador.

I don't think it's crap at all, if you live in a Hall that houses hundreds of people you would expect some people to make noise some of the time, and it's just the way halls are.

I know I didn't enjoy it last year when I got woken up at 7am every day of the week last year by my neighbours alarm going off and the walls are so goddamn thin, but its something I learned to deal with. I mean, I didn't need to be up at 7am. Who needs to be, really. Sometimes people would have a party, and it would get loud, well tough, that's party of living in hall, you have to deal with that if that's where you choose to live.

Now I live privately, it's nice and quiet, I got no rowdy neighbours or flatmates, and I just sit with my thoughts.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Wed May 10, 2006 8:56 am

to be honest it serves you right for living in a hall in your final year

How can someone be "served right" for doing something in no way wrong?
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed May 10, 2006 8:57 am

Back in first year (and you'll probably remember this, Harmless Loony), some people decided setting off the fire alarm every Thursday night by removing the head of one of the detectors would be hillarious. Unfortunately it wasn't, especially when you had a 9am lecture the next day. This went on for several weeks until they just disabled the fire sensors in question - they never caught the perpetrators.

And I imagine the people who have done this will quite enjoy their (your) breakfast and are having a massive lie-in right now, before they get up and spend they day doing utterly fuck all before doing the same again tonight. They always seem to get away with it and spoil things for the 99% of people in halls who are really decent folk. And it fucking stinks.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting Lodestone from 09:56, 10th May 2006
to be honest it serves you right for living in a hall in your final year

How can someone be "served right" for doing something in no way wrong?

This is the Sinner, someone has to be the complete cock on this thread, and its his turn.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed May 10, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting Smith from 09:48, 10th May 2006
A lot of shit.

Stop talking so much exasperatingly opinionated twaddle. By your logic we should all move to a country where there is a 0% rate of crime, otherwise expect to be victims of criminal activity.

You daft arse.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Sketch Artist on Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 am

I can sympathize. Right now on this lovely wednesday morning I'm being treated to a concert of ridiculously loud, shitty music, courtesy of one of our subwardens...
Sketch Artist

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am

Moving into a private flat hardly guarantees peace and quiet. I moved in behind the Tudor, little knowing that halfway through the year they would decide to rip the place up, starting at 8am every day even on Sundays.

The work was supposed to take 12 weeks from the end of January. Ha! They'll be lucky to get it done by 2007 the rate those cowboys work.

[hr]

'If something has to change then it always does'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby motorhead on Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Smith from 05:15, 10th May 2006
to be honest it serves you right for living in a hall in your final year, if you are staying in new hall, it's pretty clear you could afford to stay in a private flat, which would of course have offered you a lot more privacy.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.

Why the fuck is it thier fault when twats bang on doors at ungodly hours, that souldnt be acceptable in any accomodation you ignorant twit
motorhead

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed May 10, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks for the positive comments guys - yes Will I recall the joys of first year fire alarms all too well!

The thing is I don't mind noise generally - I've always had noisy neighbours but I've never minded that - what I do mind is people banging and kicking my door several times a night. That was rather malicious and during revision week too - it was totally uncalled for!

The general noise of hall Smith refers to has never been an issue for me as I can block that out.

However, I think everyone should go easy on Smith - he or she is entitled to their opinion and moving out was his/her way of dealing with noise but I know people who have moved into private lodgings who have had worse problems with respect to noise then I have - so I suppose it's luck of the draw!!

I'm a lot calmer now (still not had any sleep though) but the dissertation is done and submitted and I have one exam to look forward to and then that's me outta St Andrews (well provided I pass!!) And I've just been out in the sun - so I feel better!

I just was so annoyed this morning because I was knackered and the banging on my door was really wrecking my concentration and the lack of breakfast just compounded it for me.

Yeh they probably did enjoy my breakfast but hey I had some chicken curry for brekkie instead (not a recommended thing by the way!)
harmless loony

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 am

I find that to be kind of the sign of the times this year. I don't know if it's one big group of tossers, of if there are lots of little immature "pranksters" (I use the term loosely, because pranks are funny, these are too childish for my 5 year old cousins), but the whole thing just sums up why I'm going into flats next year.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Wed May 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I definately sympathise. In my second year in New Hall there were a couple of stupid girls on my corridor who were determined to drive everybody else on the corridor mad. I could go on for ages about the things they did including stealing pictures off peoples' doors, leaving rubbish outside peoples' rooms, leaving nasty messages on the room voicemails, and mixing super-hot chilli into everybody elses' food in the fridge, but since we are speaking about noise here, I will stick to that. They regularly got drunk and would run up and down the corridor shrieking, squeeling and banging on the doors in the middle of the night. In my 2nd semester, I was kept awake (with good earplugs in) by them all night until 5am the night before an exam of mine that I was really stressing about. I was an exhausted wreck when I sat that exam, and it did not go well.

Then in my final year, a different group of people in my corridor took to having social gatherings just outside my door. They would spend hours sprawled on the floor in the corridor just outside my door, complete with nibbles, a music player, and several people actually leaning their backs against my door. Even when I tried to exit or enter my room they made no attempt to move out of the way, so I had to practically climb over them. The loud music and blethering they did there was not good for work on my dissertation.

I also recall having a corridor mate who would play football and golf off my door at all times of day.

There is no way that it serves a person right for living in halls. Of course we don't expect halls to be silent. Background noise such as doors banging, heavy-footed people upstairs, a bit of reasonably quiet music during daylight hours, and the odd alarm clock is just part of the territory, perfectly acceptable and can be easily ignored, got used to, or if you have that much trouble with them, stick in some earplugs. But people maliciously causing extremely loud noise and banging on doors or setting off fire alarms is just completely unneccessary, unacceptable, selfish and immature. Why on earth would anybody get jollies out of that? How old are they? Are they at University or nursery school?
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed May 10, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting Happy-Go-Lucky from 14:30, 10th May 2006
But people maliciously causing extremely loud noise and banging on doors or setting off fire alarms is just completely unneccessary, unacceptable, selfish and immature.

Often times late at night, or in the exam "quiet period...Sometimes I think it's less immaturity, and more just a lack of respect. Someone go cut me a switch.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby - on Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Can I ask the people who have had problems in Halls a question - why do you not contact the wardens?

Do you not want to annoy them? They get paid A LOT to stop exactly these sorts of things from happening. It is not an inconvenience for them - it is their job. That is why they are there.

Or perhaps you don't want to look like a muppet in front of the people disturbing you? Well - they are the ones clearly in the wrong and you are well within your rights to make a complaint. Indeed, living within a hall community you should even feel a certain responsibility for doing so - if you are being disturbed you can guarentee that others are as well. As people keep pointing out - the people who make noise are ALWAYS in the minority. They are the idiots - not you.

There is no point coming on here to complain about it. I have every sympathy because you are clearly being/have been wronged - but there is a system in place to deal with it. Use it.
-

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 pm

a) I contacted them in the morning.
b) It can be hard to trace the trouble makers - by the time they had knocked on my door they'd have done a runner before the RA can come down - so it's a pointless call out.

However, I understand that there were lots of people who suffered at the hands of these guys last night on the 1st, 3rd and 4th floors. Quite a few have contacted the RAs but without having names of who is doing it or which room they are from, there is very little the RA can do!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Wed May 10, 2006 2:06 pm

I never wanted to disturb the RAs or wardens without good reason. I would tolerate things as long as possible in the hopes of not having to bother anybody else. Often I didn't actually know what the number of my RA was. That's probably partly my fault. But I did eventually once loose my rag with the people partying against my door, called the RA to ask them to come and speak to them, only to be told by the RA to sort it out myself. Great. I didn't really want to deal with the people myself because they were neighbours and worried that it might cause a rift if I whined to them, so I was hoping an uninvolved RA would sort it out annonymously for me. No joy.

Another time I needed an RA in an emergency, the phone system broke so that nobody could contact the main emergency number, and the RA on the line of the back-up emergency number wasn't in. I ended up walking to the hospital on the far side of St Andrews that night.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed May 10, 2006 2:08 pm

RAs don't get paid. They receive a discount on their hall fees.

Wardens receive a living allowance to compensate them for their time, but to be honest, it's not a great deal considering that a being a warden isn't a job - it's a lifestyle, and it doesn't stop.
Oli

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board