Home

TheSinner.net

Parents who go mad

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Parents who go mad

Postby box_of_delights on Sun May 14, 2006 9:53 am

Thought this might be interesting... in what kind of strange or unusual ways have your parents behaved or changed since you (and your siblings) left home and they've been left to their own devices?

Mine have been quite normal, but they went through the "lets redecorate and refurnish the house now the the kids have gone" stage and they're now both addicted to Judge Judy when they come home from work and won't have dinner until late evening. My father also ditched his sensible, family carrying VW Passat for a Golf GTi...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Sun May 14, 2006 10:11 am

Mine have just taken the opportunity to go to all those far fetched places in the world I dream of going to one day

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby theflirt on Sun May 14, 2006 10:24 am

Redecorating the house is a must with all parents whose children have left, I think. Mine have started the whole "lets go to random places that we have never had the chance to go to before" and, more annoyingly, they keep changing things in the house and not telling me, so that when I come home I am very very confused!
Apart from those, I don't think their lives have changed that much..unless they just aren't telling me...which could quite possibly be very true!

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sun May 14, 2006 10:25 am

My parents have done the whole redecorating thing - new sofas, new flooring, new kitchen, new bedroom furniture in each of my brothers rooms, new paint etc. They've also bought two new cars. And go on holiday further than we ever did when I was at home. and they pay for me to be here, both tuition and accommodation. And soon they will be paying for my brother to go to Uni too. And they offered to pay £1500 so I could go to Yemen (I decided to pay myself). And they offered to buy me a new laptop for my 21st. And they've bought my brother one too. And they bought the others some new game console. And everyone in the house has their own ipod now.

I think they're involved with the mafia.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sun May 14, 2006 10:35 am

Lol Louise!!

After I moved out my parents started going on more holidays with my brothers (yes I felt left out....). Then they decided to renovate, extend and redecorate the whole house. They changed the whole layout of the house and everyone moved bedrooms - which was mightly confusing when I finally came home again!

Now I'm graduating and my other bro has moved to Manchester my parents are planning to move to Saudi due to changing their jobs......I'm starting to think they're avoiding me! (But hey at least I get the house to myself!!)
harmless loony

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sun May 14, 2006 10:44 am

My parents are now caravan enthusiasts. I am so ashamed.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Zak on Sun May 14, 2006 11:19 am

Since coming to Uni my dad has moved to India amd is living on an island part owned by the Mafia. He recently returned to UK (can only stay in India for 6 months on standard visa) to tell us he's now going to Bulgaria to buy property with some dude he met out in India.

Since coming to university i think my dad has altered what planet he's on.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby Insight on Sun May 14, 2006 11:50 am

My parents started earning about twice as much as they ever did when I was at home - this compiled with their last child leaving home = making the house a showroom that should be on telly and the systematic depersonalising of my bedroom into a "Boooootiful guest room" - am riddled with resentment.

However, they seem much happier. I would be if I got to go on holiday 3 times a year.

[hr]

SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun May 14, 2006 12:28 pm

Well, my dad (I didn't grow up with my mum for the most part) moved to Brazil a month ago, which I guess is a pretty big change. ;) Looking forward to visiting in the summer though!

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby tickly leg on Sun May 14, 2006 12:56 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 10:53, 14th May 2006
My father also ditched his sensible, family carrying VW Passat for a Golf GTi...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440

My father also exchanged his Saab family estate for a *red*, top of the range, Golf GTi...I told him he was depressed. He corrected me and pointed out it was simply a mid-life crisis. Huh.

[hr]

get to know tickly leg INTIMATELY...see our profile
tickly leg

Re:

Postby niall on Sun May 14, 2006 1:09 pm

since i started uni (i'm now back home) they have redecorated almost every room (even mine while i was away!)

They have also bought a house in london, one of those glass-roofed meganes and a BMW Z4. the crazy fools!

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun May 14, 2006 1:15 pm

Heh, mine haven't started redecorating the house, but that's because they've been doing that on a neverending cycle since they built it. One room after another, changing, decorating, building, demolishing, installing, removing. Not a room in the house looks remotely like it did 15 years ago, and six of them weren't even there. And they managed that without putting on an extension. I live in a TARDIS.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun May 14, 2006 1:26 pm

My parents have gone makeover mad too but in the garden, my dad has the most fantastic garden plans that are coming to fruition with a stone terrace with a stream running down from it over nice rounded pebbles (like the Duchess of Northumberland's garden) into a pool with a fountain, this is in the centre of four sections boarded by box hedges and Indian sandstone paving with a different colour scheme in each, it's still nowhere near finished and will probably take the rest of his life at a conservative estimate.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Sun May 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Well, since I left my Dad retired, so they went through a phase when they would just annoy each other all the time, making me long to return to Uni every holiday. Since then, my Dad became a complete "tour de france"-psycho. He got one of those super light bicycles and goes on 60km trips (in one day!!!). My Mum got a job for the first time since marrying my Dad and they established that weird ritual of having Cappuccino in the afternoon. If you disturb their daily structure and they cannot get their cappuccino as a result, you better go seek asylum in another country if you want to survive their wrath...

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun May 14, 2006 1:39 pm

My parents pay the mortgage.

Well, I lie, all of us children haven't left home yet, so my parents' aren't really alone. The first daughter left home for university in 1996 and the last daughter will leave in 3 years. But then they'll have four years of her still coming home from university for holidays and stuff. And who knows, maybe by then I'll have moved back in. As of yet, I am the only sister to not have moved back in and I don't intend to do so. Nothing against the parents, but I do have a lot against rotting away in suburban Connecticut. There are worse places to have one's soul sucked out, but I hope not to be living there either.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Kegrad on Sun May 14, 2006 2:09 pm

Wow, I thought I had it bad when my Mum phoned me this morning and said she was listening to Muse at the big weekend on tv and that they were really good!
Kegrad

Re:

Postby bramble on Sun May 14, 2006 2:25 pm

Since i left home my parents have divorced, my Dad has moved to Hungary and got himself a hungarian fiancee, owns a pair of leather pants and a suede bomber jacket and is now 'really into' Goldfrapp.
As for my mum...well first she bought an audi tt, then she went gallivanting off in Vietnam and Cuba, before going on a girls clubbing holiday in Munich then coming to visit me where she proceeded to dirty dance with several irish guys at least 10 years her junior in the Vic while sloshed on a bottle of wine !
Do i win the prize for having crazy parents? :p

[hr]

Ich will die Ruhe stören...
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Sun May 14, 2006 2:29 pm

yes the travelling definately along with the new kitchen and redecorating, but add a motorhome, a classic racing car (looks like a dustbuster to me) and looking at houses in places with names they won't be able to pronounce in a few years when they are senile. Oh yeah and my mum is always off "youth" hostelling with her girly friends and going on pub crawls in various European towns and the latest, training for a triathlon.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named on Sun May 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Was is it with the redecorating? I was reading this thread thinking 'my parents didn't really do anything like that when I left (I'm an only child)...well they redecorated the kitchen...oh yeah, the living room has completely changed too...and the bathroom, and the study, and my room....and got new windows and doors ...shit!'

My mum has an extreme phobia of flying, so they did whole caravan thing and went and bought one...sigh...at least I get rid of them every second weekend during the holidays. Parents eh?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101702
She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sun May 14, 2006 3:01 pm

My parents havent changed. But then my brother and sister both still live at home and im only 12 miles away.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board