Home

TheSinner.net

Not got the results needed

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Not got the results needed

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:50 pm

With all the result congratulations going on, did anyone not get the results needed?What are your plans now then (Im nosey and also failed)

Re:

Postby Kaydo. on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Quoting from 23:55, 7th Jun 2006
With all the result congratulations going on, did anyone not get the results needed?What are your plans now then (Im nosey and also failed)

I *did* have my results, but then one of them dissapeared again today of my record card. Appears to be the same for everyone on my course, no sure whats going on :(
Kaydo.

Re:

Postby JM on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Kaydo. from 17:24, 9th Jun 2006
Quoting from 23:55, 7th Jun 2006

I *did* have my results, but then one of them dissapeared again today of my record card. Appears to be the same for everyone on my course, no sure whats going on :(

would that be history (ancient or modern?) what happened is that there was a massive cock up and the grade was only calculated on one exam score and not the other as well.

hope all goes well for you!

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:24 am

doesnt that depend on whether you are going into honours, are in honours, or are graduating.

I feel very sorry for those graduating with less than a 2.1, I did - I had a great CV apart from a 2.2 only know with a year in work have i recovered and only through work exp due to connections.

A 2.2 screws you, you simply wont get a graduate job with a 2.2, most will end up with deadend jobs for 20k or jobs with a future for 10k. A 2.1 with no work exp isnt great either. for help i had work exp with multi national organisations abroad at a very senior level highly relevant to the sector i wanted to work in.

A 2.1 is what you need. Believe me a 2.2 is a failure that makes the difference between a wicked job in london with mates or job in london with no spare cash or a job in the provinces earning a pittance - you can of course earn more if you are prepared to take a job and earn 20 to 30k for the rest of your life - bear in mind that 20k will get you a mortgage for 60k if you lay down a 10 to 20 % deposit - so not a great place for a graduate to be. Get a 2.1 and you can motor - can emphasise that enough.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:25 am

This may sounds like a really stupid question, but when the results page says

"M.A. Honours Second Class (Division I)"

that is is 2.1 isn't it?

Re:

Postby h on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:25 am

I still have to get management and I'm worried about it. :/
h

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting from 11:01, 10th Jun 2006

that is is 2.1 isn't it?

Yes, it is.
Al

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting from 01:54, 10th Jun 2006
A 2.1 is what you need. Believe me a 2.2 is a failure that makes the difference between a wicked job in london with mates or job in london with no spare cash or a job in the provinces earning a pittance - you can of course earn more if you are prepared to take a job and earn 20 to 30k for the rest of your life - bear in mind that 20k will get you a mortgage for 60k if you lay down a 10 to 20 % deposit - so not a great place for a graduate to be. Get a 2.1 and you can motor - can emphasise that enough.

It's an odd assumption to make that everyone would want to live and work in London.
Al

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 am

doesnt that depend on whether you are going into honours, are in honours, or are graduating.

I feel very sorry for those graduating with less than a 2.1, I did - I had a great CV apart from a 2.2 only know with a year in work have i recovered and only through work exp due to connections.

A 2.2 screws you, you simply wont get a graduate job with a 2.2, most will end up with deadend jobs for 20k or jobs with a future for 10k. A 2.1 with no work exp isnt great either. for help i had work exp with multi national organisations abroad at a very senior level highly relevant to the sector i wanted to work in.

That really rather depends on whether all you care about is money. Also, do the friends come with the job? Surely you're earning potential doesn't determine how many friends you have.
Miz Manda

Re:

Postby richey on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting from 11:01, 10th Jun 2006

that is is 2.1 isn't it?

Yes it is, I have a 2:1 too *beams*
richey

Re:

Postby A66 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting h from 11:08, 10th Jun 2006
I still have to get management and I'm worried about it. :/

Also still to get that one presume. One of my modules has changed to 0:20 credits but other than that no sign of results from them
A66

Re:

Postby amore vincit omnia on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting a66 from 13:39, 10th Jun 2006
One of my modules has changed to 0:20 credits but other than that no sign of results from them

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. It seemed a bit odd, but I guess the actual results will be up soon. Nice to know I've managed to pass, at any rate :P

[hr]

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
amore vincit omnia

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:05 pm

I got another of my results back today, just management to go now, which I fear may not be such a good mark - but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 pm

you guys are all scaring me - no way will i ever get a 2:1! as for all these results ... ARGH! So sure i've done craply.

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Last edited by Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:19 pm

I failed two modules needed to go into 2nd year. Strangely one of them won't let me take a resit.

So I suspect it's taking 1st year again...anybody know how I go about doing this?

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool

This week oi ah've been mostly listenin' to:
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Rilla on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:40 am

This is the biggest load of BOLLOX I have ever heard in my life.

I graduated from my undergrad 3 years ago, and right now, everyone in my class is doing exactly what they want to do. Yes, even the people who got a 2.2. Everything levels out with time. Like when you do your GCSE's or whatever, you think they're going to be the most important thing ever, then your highers or whatever, do you know what? a couple of years later and NOONE CARES.
That's right.
Right now, noone cares what classification of degree you get. The only way it matters, that I can see, is if you want to do a postgrad, and need a certain grade to qualify. But there are ways around this too. In the real world, it's passion for a job that matters. If you don't get the job you want straight away, just as you did, volunteer, or get some experience. It's experience that's the more important than a stupid grade at the end of the day.

So guys, if you don't get the grades you want, it really isn't the end of the world. It might seem important now, but so did stupid school exams when I was 10.

And I for one think 20k jobs are quite good - I know some people with a masters who WISH they could earn that much.

It depends what you come to university for - is it just to make money on a milk round job, or is it for the experience of studying something you enjoy and being a student for 4(+) years.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:11 am

I agree with you, entirely, Rilla; but we mustn't fall to the Yah Trolls...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby bdw on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:01 pm

To my knowledge, there is at least one profession that is predominately and expressly prejudiced against applicants with a 2:2 or less. This is not to say that a 2:1 is the prerequisite for a "decent" graduate job. To add to Rilla's fine comments, think of it more as a facilitating factor than the sine qua non for securing the job you fancy.

Ultimately, I'd suggest that the chances of getting a position depend as much upon the external market conditions for such position as the elements over which you have a certain amount of control (degree class and subject, comprehensive CV). Thus an applicant graduating this year with a 2:2 is likely to have more success than s/he would have had 4 years ago in applying for finance-related jobs with the same degree.
bdw

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 pm

My brother graduated from Aberdeen with an "Ordinary Degree" not even honours and guess what? He wasn't screwed!

**Shock**Horror**Gasp

If I could have half as decent a situation as he's ended up in, I'll be laughing.

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:37 am

Here's how its been in my experience. A 2:1 or a 2:2 degree will get you to the interview but once you are in there your relevent work experience becomes critical. Hence the job market tends to favour those who do some decent work experience in a relevent industry over the summer. If alternatively, like me you are a lazy sod, its best to lie extensively on your CV. If you fuck up your degree and get a desmond you can more than compensate by writing to companies, getting experince off them and getting your foot in the door that way. Its dangerous to see a 2:1 as a golden ticket becuase everyones got one nowadays.

Oh and don't be put off if the only jobs are in london because its actually a great place to live and the job market is great at the moment. I struggled in the 'provinces' because the pool of graduate positions is small and there is a bit of a 'local jobs for local people mentality. There are plenty of positions out there but you need to be in the right place.

Oh incidentally is anyone interested in a tech support position in london for 22k at my company?. I said something rash about knowing lots of starving computer scientist who would be suitible but the lazy buggers only want to work in computer games.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board