Home

TheSinner.net

Lifetime membership of t'union

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Chris Hewitt got a HLM, mainly because a mate of his sent an e-mail round all his friends asking them to nominate him for a laugh and put some outrageous story of how Chris had helped our life.

If Hewitt can get it, anyone can.
Rennie

Re:

Postby enola48 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Diana will have been nominated fro her work with SupNet over the past few years. The work doesn't have to be specifically for the Students' Assocaition but rather fro student life.

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 11:22, 11th Jun 2006
Diana Ulic has it too, although neither she nor I can work out quite why - no disrespect to her whatsoever but she's not done anything for the union.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
enola48

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting Al from 09:31, 11th Jun 2006
Second, I don't see any reason for limiting the award of Honorary Life Membership to those who are in their year of graduation. There is no good reason for this and good reasons against it.

Every year, people who aren't graduating are nominated anyway; they are discussed at the same meeting and then added to the list in preparation for when they do graduate if they are deemed to have contributed enough to student life. I only imagine they get given them when they graduate for the simplicity of matching up when their matriculation cards expire.

Oh and LK Today, you weren't suppose to actually give a name :P

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:01 pm

Second, I don't see any reason for limiting the award of Honorary Life Membership to those who are in their year of graduation. There is no good reason for this and good reasons against it.

This is actually a very simple reason for this. If you are not graduating then you are still an ordinary member of the Students' Association. Once you are awarded HLM you become and honorary life member. You cannot be both at once. I believe it is in the constitution/laws, though I am sure David can confirm if this is the case or not.

Fourth, this "outstanding contribution to student life" sounds so vague as to be pointless. Who decides what is "outstanding"? Take the person named by LK Today. He may well deserve the award. I don't know. But being involved the SRC and affiliated societies is still only involvement in the Association. If a person served on the SRC and the SSC simultaneously, would that be an outstanding contribution?

I agree, and that is why it is not limited to people who have involvement with the Association. As we have just seen above, people from SupNet are awarded it, and that it not an activity affiliated to the Association. Likewise people have been awarded it for services to sport, to hall committees, people who have been active in the a range of activities in St Andrews, both affiliated and non-affiliated. Whether I deserve one or not will be up to someone nominating me and the SAEC of next year. How does SAEC decide if it is 'outstanding'? Well, there are the guidelines and, dare I say it, common sense. If someone has sat around and done nothing or very little during their time in St Andrews then obviously they will not get it. If they have worked hard to make St Andrews and interesting, buzzing and active place to be, then they deserve it. I am very confident that the people who received HLM this year are very deserving of it.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102636
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Quoting grousefanatic from 16:00, 11th Jun 2006
[quote
Oh and LK Today, you weren't suppose to actually give a name :P

[hr]

Ok, the list has not yet been made public, however, those receiving HLM have been notified. I had Andrew's permission to use him as an example.

[hr]

LK Today

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:17 pm

There seems to be a lot of discussion of Union related effort, and while many graduates involved with the Union over their years have made a fantastic contribution to student life, eg Bonnie (or does she get one automatically

Take it from me, ex-sabs don't automatically get HLM.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Quoting Marco Biagi from 17:17, 11th Jun 2006
Take it from me,

You said it was receive not take.

Anyway in reply to LK Today notified by POST! That is so September 10th.

I haven't been back to St Andrews in ages, (I've been to the Prague Fringe Festival with The Tempest if you wondered why my charming presence was not in evidence recently). And the person I nominated who LK Today gets on incredibly well with won't be able to collect his post. Can I open my flatmate's mail from the Union if he were to get an HLM? That was M A I L.

I've just been performing theatre in a tent in Prague so sorry for being a little camp.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting LK Today from 16:01, 11th Jun 2006
This is actually a very simple reason for this. If you are not graduating then you are still an ordinary member of the Students' Association. Once you are awarded HLM you become and honorary life member. You cannot be both at once. I believe it is in the constitution/laws, though I am sure David can confirm if this is the case or not.

Yes you can. I was, as I was given Honorary Life Membership and then cunningly refused to go away, and exnihilo was as he was given Honorary Life Membership and then came back as a matriculated student.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby physicist on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 22:42, 11th Jun 2006
Quoting LK Today from 16:01, 11th Jun 2006

Yes you can. I was, as I was given Honorary Life Membership and then cunningly refused to go away, and exnihilo was as he was given Honorary Life Membership and then came back as a matriculated student.

I have both HLM and am a Matriculated Student of the University. Makes it fun to approach the two doorstaff and show a different card to each. :)
physicist

Re:

Postby LK Today on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:59 am

Sorry, I knew that I had seen this somewhere, and then I remember those LONG meetings of CAC, when we went through the Constitution and Laws.

Chapter 10, III.2 (b)

"Life Membership shall lapse for any period when the member is a matriculated student of the University of St. Andrews."

So, basically, for those of you who have HLM or have bought Life Membership, it is not valid if you are a matriculated student. Hard to control I know, but technically, you cannot have both.

Plus, Seth, what did you get up to in Prague???? You're even more hyper than usual!!!

Oh, and my name is Lee. Just call me by that and not LK Today. It's a silly name.

[hr]

LK Today

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:28 am

"So, basically, for those of you who have HLM or have bought Life Membership, it is not valid if you are a matriculated student. Hard to control I know, but technically, you cannot have both."

Cannot use both perhaps. But if HLM can lapse while the holder is matriculated then there is no argument against awarding it to people other than finalists. The award would simply lapse until they were no longer matriculated students.
Al

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 am

Lapse is the key word. It is not revoked.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:19 pm

Seth: Michael Stacey's not been involved in the Union? Mate, he was the president of Mermaids, which as far as I recall has something to do with us...

Al: People shouldn't get awards for doing a job they've been paid for? Who do you think you are, Jim Hacker?

Marco: sabbs do get one automatically now, after some furore last year. But it's not retrospective.

Lee: that's a silly rule anyway; I got my HLM last year, and nobody can stop me, say, going to another union and claiming to be a life reciprocal member instead of an ordinary reciprocal member - impersonating someone of a different class of membership ain't exactly going to get you sent to Joliet.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:48 pm

You absolutely, categorically should not get HLM by right for simply having been elected - whatever the post. To give it to every shiftless sabb elected simply for being a sabb is an affront to anyone eho worked hard and earned theirs.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:01 pm

"And HLMs are not automatically given to people who hold positions within the Association. Officers and Members of the SRC and SSC, as well as Sabbaticals, must be nominated like everyone else, and they need to have actually done something with their positions"

"sabbs do get one automatically now"

So which one is it?
Al

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Does anybody else listen to Start The Week podcast? You should, it's really quite informative.

Anyway, it says under chapter ten of the laws the following regarding honorary life membership:

"Honorary Life membership may also be bestowed on persons worthy on account of their services to the Association, on the recommendation of the SAEC, whether or not this meeting is quorate".

Anything else relating to HLMs is at the discretion of SAEC, including this 'automatic HLMs for sabbaticals'. It was given out to non-SASA peeps this year, so somebody should look in to changing the law to service to Uni.

Far more interesting and worthwhile a debate would be on transparency in the University/Association, as well as dissemination therein/outwith. I reckon anyway, as a link should have been given to info several posts ago - problem is, said dissemination thingy

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Open Noms etc.

Postby Ben Fletcher-Watson on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 pm

In 2004, Derek MacLeod, Will Macfarlane and I thought that it made sense to open up nominations to the general student body for HLM, making it an honour given by the Association to any student, akin to a University or departmental prize. The recurrent accusations of "prizes for the hacks" would hopefully then be overcome, and people would begin to see it as a pleasant graduation reward. We thought that it would be a good way of honouring students who had given a great deal to student life in their time in the Toun.

Similarly, with Ralph Covino's persuasive nudging, we made the John Honey Award a fully-fledged prize, complete with a cup. It's about recognizing and rewarding (however small the actual reward) student achievement in the spheres not recognized by the university.

I'm very glad to hear that there is now a proper ceremony at the same time as Graduation. It's a slight pity that Alex Rennie and his friends decided to nominate someone for no reason, but I suppose these things happen, and it hardly devalues the award.
Ben Fletcher-Watson

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 pm

which one of you nominated me? oh...

none of you :<

I hate you all. Except your mothers, I love them. ;x~~~

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:27 am

Ben, what's the bee up your arse? My point was that the 'checking' of HLM's is pretty weak, and if someone like Hewitt can get one, then there must be no proceedures to verify what is said in the nominations. Some of the stories we put in were frankly ridiculous, "Hewitt was the first person not to call me fat to my face", etc...
Rennie

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:28 am

And out of interest, why did you change your name from Spiers to Fletcher-Watson? It's not your wife's surname I noticed, seemed a bit odd.
Rennie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board