Home

TheSinner.net

Sun-Tan or Pale-And-Interesting?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Sun-Tan or Pale-And-Interesting?

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Inspired by current posts such as "big busts or bums?", here's one that I've been pondering about a fair while. What do people prefer the look of: a sun-tan, or pale, milky skin? I am meaning purely on an asthetic level: I'm aware of the whole dangers of sun exposure etc, so lets ignore that factor for now. I'm just meaning purely on a to-look-at basis, which do people pefer?

When I was younger, I was really really pale, almost like a milk-bottle. When I went on holiday to Cyprus, where everybody was dark- or blond-haired with very dark tanned skin, my glow-in-the-dark white skin and rich red hair caused quite a stir amongst the locals.

But here in the UK, such paleness is not something that is generally considered a good thing. So for a while I indulged in sun-beds, fake-tans and so forth, and liked the golden colour I got, which at the time, was a bit more unusual in the UK. However, in the last couple of years or so, tanning seems to have become mainstream, and more or less the norm. Now, call me a snob, but when I came here to Plymouth, the sight of loud-mouthed, trashy chavs and so-forth marching around the place, and on TV with skin the colour of a Terry's Chocolate Orange, it kinda put me off. When every common-as-muck numb-skull is going around sprayed in tangerine, I kinda felt that it lost its appeal, didn't make me unusual anymore, and indeed, almost was undesirable, seeing as it seems to be fast becoming a chav trade-mark. So, more recently, I have kept away from the sun-beds and self-tan lotions, and am going pale at the moment, to try to be more unusual. But I still wonder if it really isn't a good look.

Now obviously, if people have a natural tan-colour, then that is great. Natural always looks so much more gorgeous than fake, or forced tans. My tans from holidays look lovely, and nothing like the stuff I get from bottles or sunbeds. But as a naturally very pale-skinned person with red hair, I wonder what people really think of the milk-bottle look. Is it as unattractive as the beauty industry would like us to believe, or is there still a reasonable fan-base for "English-Rose" whiteness? Opinions please.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby ForgoneConclusion on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:40 pm

I personally find it rather attractive. Will always win over sloshed on fake tan.
ForgoneConclusion

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:38 pm

I've got red hair too and have flirted with the idea of using fake tan just to see whether it would look as ridiculous as I imagine. As much as pale skin has its cons (the corned beef mottling in extreme temperatures) it seems more honest than covering up your natural skin colour with St Tropez.

Fake tan does look cheap, but generally because those who plaster themselves in it choose a darker hue than they should, and don't match it to their hair tone. Sun-kissed skin that looks healthy should be the aim rather than the radio-active orange most females (and, alas, some men) ill-advisedly sport.

As for the beauty industry encouraging the tanned look, I'm not sure that they do. Most of the models that currently dominate the catwalk: Lily Cole, Erin O'Connor, Karen Elson, Stella Tennant et al are very very pale and au naturel. Even Kate Moss keeps her tan light golden.

As an afterthought, it's odd how things go full-circle isn't it? In the past, a tan was a sign that you laboured outside, then it was an indication that you could afford to holiday regularly, and now it's back to being an indication of the lower echelons.
Rufus

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:39 pm

pale is more beautiful. and more interesting. always.

tan, fake or otherwise is just boring, generic and too... busy. pale skin alllows for awesome contrasts with eye/hair colour.

[hr]

god damned mongolians!
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:03 pm

I am red-haired and pale and I neeeeever tan ever.

I would like to have the choice to tan without looking like a total fool (I really am that white). The thing that makes a tan more attractive is that it hides imperfections.

If you are white, then all your cellulite/flab/veins are more obvious for everyone to see. A tanned person with the same figure, however, can get away such imperfections slightly more easily. Also, under fluorescent light, look at a pale person in a vest top and you can see a network of blue veins across their breastbone and back. Unfortunately, its not really that attractive.

I'm not dissing pale-ness... for me it is just tiresome!! And I hate going on holiday and being pointed at by the locals, because I'm a mixture of burned and white skin.

Pale skin can be very beautiful in a woman, especially across the back and shoulders.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby threekings on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 pm

DMM recently told DMC that he looked 4 times fitter after coming back from a sailing holiday, DMC was not sure if he should take this as a compliment or not....
threekings

Re:

Postby Insight on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:38 pm

A (non-orange) tan has always been a sign of health for me - mostly because I associate paleness with illness. I tend to feel a bit better about the way I look if I have a slightly sunkissed look about myself.

[hr]

SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
Insight

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Indeed, a decent, natural tan looks good. When you resemble something from DFS in colour and texture, you've gone too far. And, if you resemble Tommy Sheridan's lustrous orange glow, seek help.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Scully on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:00 pm

I can't help but notice that it is pale girls who and commenting and not tanned girls or any sort of guys. I am not a red head-but pale and interesting. I do die my hair a chestnut colour as it suits my skin better, but I do get sick of people saying that "your not pale, you're an english rose". I would like to be tanned, but naturally-not so much from the sun, so I don't look like a milk bottle in a skirt.
Scully

Re:

Postby Insight on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting scully from 17:00, 28th Jun 2006
I can't help but notice that it is pale girls who and commenting and not tanned girls or any sort of guys.

*Ahem* Exnihilo, Quarterstaff & myself are both male at the very least. I am also tanned-ish.

***Editted for a multitude of errors***
[hr]

Insight

Re:

Postby Insight on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:22 pm

Quoting Insight from 17:21, 28th Jun 2006
Quoting scully from 17:00, 28th Jun 2006
I can't help but notice that it is pale girls who and commenting and not tanned girls or any sort of guys.

*Ahem* Exnihilo & myself are both male at the very least. Oh, and Quarterstaff.

***Editted as I forgot QS - I am also tanned-ish.
[hr]

[hr]

Insight

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Just in case anyone who suffers from this affliction is reading this:

BLONDE HAIR AND TANNED SKIN DO NOT GO TOGETHER.

See Christina Aguilera for details. It looks like someone's put a luminous stage wig on top of a slippery jobbie.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby Big X on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Quoting thePontificator from 17:59, 28th Jun 2006

See Christina Aguilera for details. It looks like someone's put a luminous stage wig on top of a slippery jobbie.

err, NATURAL blonde hair and a tan DO go together, also helps if you've bot blue eyes

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Colin on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:10 pm

A little while ago I suddenly noticed that every female in the very busy bar I was in was painted orange with bleached blonde hair. It was hilarious. I could only assume that each one of them had independently decided that this would be a really good look, and that they would stand out. They all looked cheap and awful.

Of course, they all seemed to be getting enough attention from the dyed orange and blonde WKD drinking males around, so maybe that worked for them.
Colin

Re:

Postby novium on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:15 pm

tan! Not a really strong tan...the kind that either comes from tanning booths or imminent skin cancer...but the good healthy tan that comes from getting lots of fresh air and exercise. Golden. Like a perfectly roasted marshmellow.

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 pm

I think she dyed her hair that color. And it doesn't match her complexion...whether or not it's a tan, I have no idea. But it's a dark dark dark tan.

On the whole, I don't think platinum-from-a-bottle-blond looks good on anyone. And I think people with brown eyes should avoid blonde, in most cases at least. But natural blonde looks fine with a tan. Especially golden-blond.
Quoting thePontificator from 17:59, 28th Jun 2006

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:57 pm

In my opinion, you can only get away with being very pale if you also have dark, almost black or black, hair.

Anything else makes one look ill.

Otherwise, a light tan is the way to go.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby theflirt on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 am

You can achieve a natural tan from fake-tan or sunbeds...as long as you don't go too often and not for too long.
The problem with fake tan is how it comes off. Most fade slowly but that does leave patched and can be horrible!
I am blonde and quite pale and I hate having pale skin, i prefer to have a sun-kissed look...i look healthier then!

Orange fake tanners should know they look ridiculous though - it is quite obvious when they glow in the dark!!

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby Pan on Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm

freckles are the way forward....

[img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:43 pm

What about the red and white zebra look? is that interesting and/or? I burn VERY easily.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board