Home

TheSinner.net

Bands

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bands

Postby Otis redding on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:39 am

What band's do you truly like nowadays, is it old music or do you dig the new sound's that are coming thorugh, are you happy in your own space or do you like change?
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:15 am

I mostly listen to old stuff to be honest, I just prefer it. Right now I'm developing a Leonard Cohen obsession, I've already got a Neil Young one, and I really dig very old blues like Son House, Robert Johnson and the like. Quite simply I haven't heard a new song that has made me think 'wow' for a long, long time. Not that I've gone out of my way or anything, but any new band people have recommended to me as amazing haven't impressed me too much.

[hr]

I bet you don't know how to spell contridiction.
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:18 am

I think that the alternative music scene is really thriving now.

I still listen to a lot of alt-pop artists who really came to prominenece in the late nineties or very early noughties but who are still making music--The Divine Comedy, Belle and Sebastian, Elbow, Ed Harcourt, Rufus Wainwright, Goldfrapp and so on. Similarly, in rock and metal, Radiohead, Muse, The Mars Volta--they're still going. When bands like that start to drop out, there'll be a big whole left in my music purchasing.

Still, there's enough new music always appearing for me to still feel good. The Hype Machine (hype.non-standard.net) keeps me up to date with alternative music worldwide. Def Jux are constantly turning out stunning new rap. Bands like the Guillemots (shortlisted for the mercury prize!) and The Format are still emerging. I can only think that Sufjan Stevens will continue in the ascendancy. Along with that, alt-folk in the States is finally coming into its own, with Bright Eyes still going strong, but bands like the Ditty Bops and Rose's Pawn Shop starting to emerge.

Judging by the music world's reception of The Pipettes and the Puppini Sisters, a new wave of retro is just on the horizon. After Franz Ferdinand et al plagiarised their early eighties record collections and then dug up the corpse of Britpop, ate it, shat it out, ate it again, vomited it up and called it new there was always going to be another retro surge, but I think it's starting to go in a good direction.

The only sad thing is that I think post-rock is very much a dying genre. When I hear new post-rock acts now I just want to go and listen to Godspeed. Still, I think Sigur Ros will continue to astonish.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:25 am

Nightwish always rule.

I dunno ifthey class as a band or not, but Adiemus are the besty. I know it's technically Karl Jenkins and a few singers, but it's always labelled under Adiemus, instead of just his name like other works (Armed Man, Reqiuem, Imagined Oceans, Diamond Music) and he tends to use the same singers and similar stlye.

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Last edited by Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:11 am

This year I are been mostly listening to... The Hype Machine, like Lodestone.

Most of the bands on heavy rotation on my machine are ones that I hadn't even heard of last year, Like Casey Dienel (female singer/songwriter/piano player), Hello Saferide, You Say Party! We Say Die!, The Charade, The Knife, Skye Sweetnam, The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir, Voxtrot,¡Forward, Russia!, We Will Build, Union of Knives Band of Horses, the Pipettes, Damn the Lion, Feist, The National, Rogue Wave, the Clientele, Halo Benders, The Hourly Radio, Tigetcity, Islands, Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan (also Mercury Nominated), Lucky Soul, Ms. John Soda, Camera Obscura, some new stuff from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arcade Fire, Belle and Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand.

Some of the stuff is really, really good.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:29 pm

I listen to a healthy mix of old and new, with by cd buying roughly a 50/50 spilit between old bacnds/albums and ones that have recently come out. Lately I'm listening to:

Opeth
Faith No More
Ministry
Nevermore
Peeping Tom
Devin Townsend
Strapping Young Lad
Trivium
Metallica
Pink Floyd
Coheed and Cambria
Dresden Dolls
Pantera
Tool
Mr Bungle
Primus
Mastodon
Mushroomhead

So a lot of modern music there at the moment actually, if late 80s onward is modern then it all is! Oh well.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan (also Mercury Nominated)

It was great to see Isobel on that shortlist; I've been following her stuff for years. Have you heard the extraordinary album of Billie Holiday covers she did with Bill Wells?
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:54 pm

Altough still listening to Floyd, zep and the who. Like Primal screams new album and exterminator. Also Lily Allen is growing on me, chavtastic. Still listening to supergrass, radiohead, libertines, Beta Band, massive attack, portishead, and off course Oasis. wahey
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Pan on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:12 pm

steps

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby j mac on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 pm

check out six star hotel. next big thing, I'm telling you.

www.myspace.com/sixstarhotel
j mac

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 pm

Yngwie Mamsteen
Power Quest
Dionysus
Johnny A
DragonForce
Cacophony

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool
[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:21 am

The also Mercury-nominated Richard hawley is wonderful, as is the Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan album. I can't wait for the new Patrick Wolf album. The new Ed Harcourt is pretty good, as is the latest Jim Moray album. I still love last year's Mercury winner, Antony and the Johnsons, and have been listening to a lot of Belle & Sebastian of late.

Last year was a great year for music, I thought, with Sufjan Stevens, Cocorosie, British Sea Power and Kanye West albums all great. I loved The Arcade Fire and Final Fantasy albums too, and Art Brut are great dance-around-the-room shouty indie.

I am listening to plenty of Bob Dylan of late, especially Desire and Nashville Skyline, and lots of Gram Parsons. Oh, and the wonderful Vashti Bunyan as well.

The posthumous Johnny Cash album American V: A Hundred Highways is pretty great too.

[hr]

Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
http://tweeasfuck.livejournal.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:53 am

The new Ed Harcourt is pretty good,

That made me bounce for joy, it really did. Strangers was a monumental disappointment for me, and I feared he was going to go the way of the bland whiny indie rocker. But no! he's come back with cracking swamp rock and cabaret again. Phew.

Last year was a great year for music, I thought, with Sufjan Stevens ... and Kanye West albums

Have you heard the incredible Sufjan/Kanye mash-up called "Zombies Walk!!"?

I am listening to plenty of Bob Dylan of late

Preparing for August 29th, eh?
Lodestone

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Lodestone from 10:53, 23rd Jul 2006

I am listening to plenty of Bob Dylan of late

Preparing for August 29th, eh?

Preparing to pinch the boyfriend's copy, yes ;) He's a wee touch fanatical, but a new Bob Dylan album is always an bit of an event and he's been pretty consistent with his last few. The horror days of Knocked Out Loaded and Saved! appear to be behind, thankfully!

I have never heard said mash-up, but I will be trying to track it down now.

[hr]

LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:40 am

I'm still a big fan of the only band I've ever seen live, They Might Be Giants. I also heard good things about The Divine Comedy yesterday from a new friend who described it as having a similar kind of concept (wacky folky poppy rocky goodness), so hopefully I'll be able to check them out soon.

Anyone who hasn't heard them would be well advised to check out my favourite St Andrews-based band, featuring my good friend Paul Everett (who signed my CD!), Submachine!

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting David Bean from 01:40, 24th Jul 2006
I'm still a big fan of the only band I've ever seen live, They Might Be Giants. I also heard good things about The Divine Comedy yesterday from a new friend who described it as having a similar kind of concept (wacky folky poppy rocky goodness), so hopefully I'll be able to check them out soon.

*bouncybouncybouncybouncy*

My favourite band ever.

There are certain similarities to They Might Be Giants, but a lot of differences as well: TDC are much more into grace and style.

How are you planning to check them out? Want recommendations? Would you like a compilation?

TDC fans tend to get a bit evangelical :-D
Harry Giles

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting WashingtonIrving from 02:15, 22nd Jul 2006
I mostly listen to old stuff to be honest, I just prefer it. Right now I'm developing a Leonard Cohen obsession, I've already got a Neil Young one, and I really dig very old blues like Son House, Robert Johnson and the like. Quite simply I haven't heard a new song that has made me think 'wow' for a long, long time. Not that I've gone out of my way or anything, but any new band people have recommended to me as amazing haven't impressed me too much.

I assume you have seen Son House in Festival!? He's totally amazing. I need to get more of his stuff.

[hr]

LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:44 pm

No? Never heard of it. He's an interesting guy too, he completely retired from music for a while and had no idea his stuff was so popular. Death Letter Blues is almost the best blues song ever recorded for my money, just beaten by Howlin Wolf's Smokestack Lightning.

[hr]

WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting WashingtonIrving from 19:44, 24th Jul 2006
No? Never heard of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BC ... ance&n=130

That's it. It features a myriad of folk, soul, country, gospel and blues singers. Son House talks about what he thinks the blues is, and there's live footage of him too. It is all round great. Also has Bob Dylan being booed, IIRC. It is a great documentary and well worth watching.

[hr]

LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:39 pm

Oh is that the one where he went electric and pissed everyone off? Sounds cool.

Let me guess, the blues 'comes from in here. When you lost your job, then you got the blues. When you lost your woman, then you got the blues'.

[hr]

WashingtonIrving

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board