Home

TheSinner.net

Fresher's Week Bands

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 am

i hadn't heard about that. shows how much i've been out of the loop >.<

shame.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 am

Well he's calling himself Colin McIntyre now instead of MHS. As long as he's still got Sheepy on keyboards I'm not too bothered.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 am

Dunq, I would be surprised if the bands on your list would play for anything more than expenses plus £1,500 at most. Rider and VAT would be minimal there.

Oli, firstly, I'm sure the Union must claim back VAT, being a registered charity? And Rider costs rarely would top £500 - nice hotel rooms for the night and an evening meal. Plus, for £5,000 you could get some brilliant acts, actually, for 5k you could get 3 'well known in their genre' bands/DJ's to play - which I'm reasonably confident would sell out venue 1.
Rennie

Re:

Postby spewie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting dunqn from 23:38, 2nd Aug 2006
... if not for the union or anything, then at the very least, aikmans.

Last I heard, Aikmans lost their live music license...

[hr]

[s]you can have it all if you want to[/s]
spewie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm

Well the Irish band in there last week or so must have been playing illegally I guess...

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby groovy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:38 pm

I know a band that recently played the acoustic tent at the wickerman festival (at 9pm on the closing night, the festival sold around 10,000 tickets)

If they're available, they'd play for free

[hr]

Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Rennie from 10:57, 3rd Aug 2006
And Rider costs rarely would top £500 - nice hotel rooms for the night

Just FYI the union used to put acts up in the Tudor.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby spewie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 13:18, 3rd Aug 2006
Well the Irish band in there last week or so must have been playing illegally I guess...

I guess...

[hr]

spewie

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Get KT Tunstall to do some kind of homecoming gig. I'm sure she'd love to do it, I'd heard that she'd tried to play in Crail or Anstruther or somewhere but the old folks objected and she was told to go away.

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:03 pm

Quoting Telinar from 15:22, 3rd Aug 2006
Get KT Tunstall to do some kind of homecoming gig. I'm sure she'd love to do it, I'd heard that she'd tried to play in Crail or Anstruther or somewhere but the old folks objected and she was told to go away.

Does a life memberhsip get you into the union for pre-sesh?

Also, give Giraffe a call; they're a decent support act.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby eagle on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm

Are Giraffe still going?
eagle

Re:

Postby kate on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:19 pm

The band we're having is zebra jam, supported by Callel. I think it should be a good night.
kate

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:20 pm

The Pussycat Dolls aren't doing anything...Come on guys, at least try. Or anyone from http://wma.com/0/cta/music/contemporary/roster/ really. You got Coolio, and he's with that company...

Re:

Postby Ashley on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Actually, the support act, quibbles aside, were Thee Unstrung. Admittedly similar, mind.

I thought Aberfeldy quite good though, anyway. A bit more interaction, as my memory serves, and perhaps a little less cheeky digs at St Andrews might have gone down better but save that an Aberfeldy gig is always going to be a fairly tame affair.

Still, at least then, they had good songs. The new album isn't quite so good...

Good luck finding someone good this year, you're always going to have complaints, especially on the Sinner!

Quoting LeopardSkinQueen from 18:46, 1st Aug 2006
Quoting Malcolm from 21:55, 31st Jul 2006
Remember Aberfeldy from last year?

Bloody hell, they were so bad I left and went to Marmaris with a group of friends.

I thought they were so bad, that they made their mediocre support act look like The Who.

And I've heard their support act was The Paddingtons. I've seen The Paddingtons live, so they must have been pretty bloody atrocious.

[hr]

Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
http://tweeasfuck.livejournal.com

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting from 17:07, 3rd Aug 2006
The Pussycat Dolls aren't doing anything...Come on guys, at least try. Or anyone from http://wma.com/0/cta/music/contemporary/roster/ really. You got Coolio, and he's with that company...

Barry Manilow would be a good call.

*Dodges oncoming storm*

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Kegrad on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:08 pm

KT Tunstall has already played in the union in 2004/05 during the year.

Quoting Telinar from 15:22, 3rd Aug 2006

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Kegrad

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:46 pm

Leo Sayer, God bless him, would do it for a bag of peanuts.
Rufus

Re:

Postby lts2 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:45 pm

There is a good young band that want to play in St Andrews and probably would create a lot of interest and play for relatively little. They have played in St Andrews before at the ICE event and went down really well.

One problem, the union don't get back to them. Theres your problem methinks.
lts2

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:31 pm

Supertramp.

Ageing 1970's "rock" giants, but lesser known these-days, with a non-original lineup.

Still bloody fantastic; I love that band. I consider "Breakfast in America" to be one of the finest albums ever released.

Ages and ages ago, I actually found a website where you could hire what's left of Manfred Mann's Earth Band (the second incarnation after the 1960's Manfred Mann (without the Earth Band).

On a more down-to-Earth note, why not just put on a student bands night instead of inviting somebody in? I know the Freshers won't have been there long enough to form anything, but us 2nd years and beyond could do something (not me personally, but hypothetically).

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:28 pm

KT Tunstall can't play in St Andrews for a long time, very busy apparently.
Rennie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board