Home

TheSinner.net

fucking bbc2 scotland

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 23:30, 10th Aug 2006
Quoting WashingtonIrving from 23:22, 10th Aug 2006
The one thing that always annoyed me was the gaelic programming,

How can you not like Padraig Post? Shocking, I know, that BBC Scotland should put on twenty minutes of programming in Scotland's last (barely) surviving indigenous language at 7.30am on weekdays.

[hr]

Padraig Post? Postman Pat by any chance? :P
i seem to remember Danger Mouse in Gaelic was Donnie Murdo or something equally stupid sounding.

the gaelic shows are sometimes funny to watch though. you get to hear just how old a language it is when they dont have words for things.

half the time, you can tell whats being said cause 1/3 of the words are english [img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting WashingtonIrving from 23:44, 10th Aug 2006

I'm hopelessly out of touch with TV, I still bear a grudge from the days when they didn't show the Simpsons in Scotland cos of the Gaelic stuff. Hey, my Granny's first language is Gaelic, she'd kill me if she heard me badmouthing it. But its The Simpsons...

Well, fair enough. It was my Grandfather's first language too, back in the days when you woud be belted for speaking it in class. He was also belted for being left handed.

There is something to be said for the liberal, lefty, weiner approach to education when you find what the good-old-days were really like.

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting fozzy bear from 23:48, 10th Aug 2006

the gaelic shows are sometimes funny to watch though. you get to hear just how old a language it is when they dont have words for things.

half the time, you can tell whats being said cause 1/3 of the words are english

Ah, yes. Staple joke of Chewing the Fat.

Sock puppet 1: Nich nich
Sock puppet 2: Nich nich
Sock puppet 1: graig an agus Mars Bar
Sock puppet 2: Bhan naig mhor Testicular Cancer.

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting Malcolm from 22:55, 10th Aug 2006
I wish Edinburgh/Central Belt/Glasgow (at a push) would opt out and get the feed from somewhere in England.

Your average Edinburgh resident is affluent and middle class, and the whole city is becoming more and more Anglicised. Edinburghers don't want to see Jimmy McHaggis climbing Ben Nevis quoting Burns every time he stops for a fag, they want to see the very latest drama series, the very latest movie premieres, 24hr international news (not a 12 year old Dalkeith ned getting kicked out of his 23rd school) etc.

I'll say it again; Scottish people may think the English are up themselves and arrogant, but are the Scots really any better? I personally don't think so.

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "

In my experience, the average Edinburgh resident IS a 12-year-old ned getting kicked out of his 23rd school, who couldn't care less about the latest drama series, so I guess it just depends on which part of Edinburgh you're looking at (Craigmillar, Gilmerton, Wester Hailes...).

Given most of the BBC Scotland feed is produced for the Central Belt, and given it's the only time Scottish events actually get a showing on the box, cutting it out from the Central Belt might as well mean doing away with it all together. Otherwise you end up with Grampian TV. Relax - your programme will get aired next time there's a Derby vs. Nottingham match on or something.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:09 am

Your average Edinburgh resident is affluent and middle class, and the whole city is becoming more and more Anglicised.
[hr]

Only in your distorted view. Being 'affluent' equates to being anglicised? I guess that means I wash myself in pish and eat grit, cause its the best a poor jock like myself can afford eh? Do you live in the real world? If you love England and loathe Scotland so much, why don't you piss off down south? Seriously, if you hate living in a country so much, why not move? Perhaps some of us WANT to see programs about Scotland rather than generic crap available on every digital tv station? Just because you and your mates Farquar and Tarquin hate living in Scotland and want nothing to do with whats going on, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

And what the hell does showing football in one country and the Scott expedition in Englandshire have anything to do with Scottish people 'being as arrogant' as the English?

For those of you who haven't seemed to notice, Heart of Midlothian football club have been one of the most talked about news stories for the past 12 months, who were playing in one of their most important matches. The interest from the general public (Ie not the leafy anglophiles you seem to think abide in Edinburgh) was always going to be large.

[hr]

Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 am

Right! Right! This is a silly thread, and you must all stop it at once
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Rufus on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 pm

It's not a silly thread. It's about a hell of a lot more than television programming.

Scotland is not England, the sooner some [note: not all] English people living in Scotland realise this the better.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 pm

Perhaps better put as:

"Right! Stop it! You had a good idea there, with the discussion about Scotland not being the same as England and so on, but now it's just got silly."
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Rufus on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Aye, OK.
Rufus

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting Lid from 16:55, 10th Aug 2006
My point was that how come Scotland gets much longer opt-ins than the other regions? For example, the Great Yorkshire Show had to be squeezed into a thirty minute news summary, doing it anything but justice.

The Nations (BBC Scotland, BBC Wales, BBC NI) receive somewhat different treatment from the BBC than the English Regions due to the fact they are catering for entire countries, in many ways with different cultures to England. More coverage of local events in this respect is something that, IIRC, is written into the BBC's charter. Certainly, in Wales, Welsh (nation, not language) programming often takes precedence over English programming, and there aren't generally that many complaints. Why should Scotland be different? The BBC has a responsibility to provide desirable programming for all its demographic, and in the Nations this is no different.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:11 am

Your average Edinburgh resident is affluent and middle class, and the whole city is becoming more and more Anglicised.
[hr]

if you aren't living in a west coast sink estate, wrapped in plaid, eating shortbread while dirnking whisky-irn-brus with a haggis tied to your sporran then you just AREN'T Scottish.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:51 pm

it appears you're documentry thing about some people walking in the snow was only "delayed" a week.
does your bitching about scotland still seem worthwhile?

to be honest, after youre immature post condemning all things scottish, i was hoping they would not show it at all.

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby gringo on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Quoting fozzy bear from 18:51, 12th Aug 2006
it appears you're documentry thing about some people walking in the snow was only "delayed" a week.

to be honest, after youre immature post condemning all things scottish, i was hoping they would not show it at all.

[hr]

that's mature of you!
gringo

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting gringo from 19:41, 12th Aug 2006
Quoting fozzy bear from 18:51, 12th Aug 2006

[hr]

that's mature of you!

oh. what a witty comeback.

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:15 pm

He has a point, just cos someone's being a dick doesn't mean you should go out of your way to spite them.

[hr]

thePontificator

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 am

But sometimes it just feels so good.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:07 am

Yes, but how should we define the English? Lager drinking, George cross baseball cap toting, Cockney louts?

Quoting flarewearer from 12:11, 12th Aug 2006

if you aren't living in a west coast sink estate, wrapped in plaid, eating shortbread while dirnking whisky-irn-brus with a haggis tied to your sporran then you just AREN'T Scottish.

[hr]

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby sartorius on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:40 pm

[quote]Quoting Gealle from 12:07, 13th Aug 2006
Yes, but how should we define the English? Lager drinking, George cross baseball cap toting, Cockney louts?[quote]

This is one of the probolems you come across when talking about britain or britishness. England has no cultural idnetity of its own that is different from Great britain in general. Scotland has a clearly visible idnetity that is recognised all over the world, Wales has its own language. Englishness is very difficult to tell apart form britishness and so many english people use the words interchangably and come to think there is no difference between then, this then leads them to think that englishness applies to the whole of britain, which is the probolem. Scotland is a nation within the United Kingdom, England, for lack of anything better to do thinks it is the United Kingdom and that english should be the default setting.

To answer the question how should we define the english? There's not much there uniquely english to define.
sartorius

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 pm

The fact that 5/6 of the population of the UK live in England plays a role in its interchangeability, I'm sure.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:35 pm

Quoting Lid from 17:25, 13th Aug 2006
The fact that 5/6 of the population of the UK live in England plays a role in its interchangeability, I'm sure.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires

i disagree. i think it should be to do with land mass of each nation within the UK as that is how each one is defined. not by its population.

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board