Home

TheSinner.net

Terror plot

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Terror plot

Postby Nymphomanic on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:21 am

Are they over reacting? Is there a threat? What do people think

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting nymphomanic from 12:21, 10th Aug 2006
Are they over reacting? Is there a threat? What do people think

[hr]

I don't think they are overreacting. You can't do when so many lives are at risk.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:45 am

Just when you thought it was marginally safer to get on a plane.... sigh, am flying in about 3 hours, forunately *back* to the UK and straight to Edinburgh.

The 'Airports at a glance' section on the BBC website that was up just a while ago had measures for outbound flights (funnily departing from everywhere but Scotland, even including Cardiff and Belfast), but not so much for incoming ones (obviously outside Heathrow).

That said, if my connecting flight is flying back and forth between Holland and Britain and gets delayed along the way, I might have a night at Amsterdam's Schipol.

We'll see...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102835
Aureliano

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Haven't they said that they're not allowing any inbound flights to land if they're not already in the air? Which would mean that you'll just have to stay wherever you are.

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 pm

Only at Heathrow.

Quoting pea from 13:27, 10th Aug 2006
Haven't they said that they're not allowing any inbound flights to land if they're not already in the air? Which would mean that you'll just have to stay wherever you are.

[hr]

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Icarus on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:35 pm

From the news it sounds as if the security services knew very specifically what sort of threat they were facing e.g. how many planes were going to be attacked and what type of explosive they were going to use. Seems to me that they were right to respond so positively. In cases like this it's better to be safe than very sorry.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102351
Icarus

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Out of all this there is only one thing I cannot believe...

presently the top "have your say" post on the bbc news website seems to suggest that todays incident was just a ploy by the government to allow them to bring in new laws etc.

What is more mad, people suiciding themselves for 40 virgins or people thinking that something the size of today's news could have been orchestrated by the government? That is conspiracy theory gone mad. Next thing you know Elvis will have bombed no.10 and it will be revealed that JFK died through this exact same incedent by some sub-space time anomoly which placed high velocity debris in his body.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby A66 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:03 pm

Out of the UK so has Prof Wilkinson stated the bleding obvouis from his armchair on Sky News yet?
A66

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:11 pm

I am beginning to wonder whether the media has gone a little too crazed on all this. I mean, Tony Blair hasn't come back off his holiday to be our leader, leaving John Reid to deal with it all (clearly not confident with John Prescott helping out, it seems); clearly he knows, but am surprised he has been very quiet on the matter. Quite often you hear on the news about terror plots being foiled, but they never get a News 24 feed - I think it was that planes were being used this time that caught the imagination.

Plus I'm not by any means an expert on explosives, but every time I've been in an airport I've had my handluggage ruthlessly checked over and over to make sure I was hiding nothing untoward. Or, despite constant warnings of dire terrorist attacks, has airport security become lax? If so, it's a good job the plot was foiled.

As for the conspiracy theory, it *was* handy that this happened the day after John Reid said that civil liberties would have to be curtailed to fight terrorism. Maybe when he said this, he was aware of the raids about to happen (the culmination of a long investigation, apparently), but it's something to think about as an interesting aside (though you can imagine how many websites have included this on their databases of conspiracy). Quite reminiscent of the House of Cards trilogy really.

/thinking for the day

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Well, Blair staying away and leaving John Reid to front the work here isn't doing the latter's reputation any harm.

I wouldn't say they'd orchestrate the whole thing, but I think they're maybe taking advantage of it to give John Reid a bit of the Rudi Giuliani (Mayor of New York during the September 11 incident) effect. We all know Blair wants anyone-but-Brown to take over after him, and Reid is his favoured lieutenant.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Not saying it's a conspiracy at all...

But 8/10...

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting Marco Biagi from 14:37, 10th Aug 2006
Well, Blair staying away and leaving John Reid to front the work here isn't doing the latter's reputation any harm.

Blair can't come back - all the flights are cancelled.
Colin

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting grousefanatic from 14:11, 10th Aug 2006Plus I'm not by any means an expert on explosives, but every time I've been in an airport I've had my handluggage ruthlessly checked over and over to make sure I was hiding nothing untoward. Or, despite constant warnings of dire terrorist attacks, has airport security become lax? If so, it's a good job the plot was foiled.

From what I read somewhere - probably BBC - it seems that it would be easy to disguise some of the components of the explosives as things like mineral water which would surely be passed over by a checker without a second glance.

Surely the terrorists could get round that though if they were that desperate. Could they not do what the drugs people do, swallow little bags of whatever, and let nature take its course....?

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070

queen of scots

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting a66 from 14:03, 10th Aug 2006
Out of the UK so has Prof Wilkinson stated the bleding obvouis from his armchair on Sky News yet?

Not been watching sky news, but he's certainly quoted on their website.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 84,00.html

[hr]

queen of scots

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Quoting nymphomanic from 12:21, 10th Aug 2006
Are they over reacting?

For once, I'd far rather they over-react than under-react. If the media speculation is going to be believed, I'd rather go to the inconvenience of not being allowed a bottle of coke on a flight than, worst case scenario, not being able to drink a bottle of coke ever again!

Perhaps I'm slightly exaggerating the level of threat, and chances of this actually happening, but still, the government are the custodians of the welfare of our citizens, and if the intelligence is right, they, for once, have my full backing!

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Colin from 15:46, 10th Aug 2006
Blair can't come back - all the flights are cancelled.

They could fly him to an RAF base, where as a rule security is a teensy bit tighter.

[hr]

grousefanatic

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Quoting queen of scots from 15:47, 10th Aug 2006

From what I read somewhere - probably BBC - it seems that it would be easy to disguise some of the components of the explosives as things like mineral water which would surely be passed over by a checker without a second glance.

If people can render down explosives to such an extent that every single bit of them can be made from makeshift common items not suspected by most folk, then the second these restrictions are lifted anyone attempting this sort of thing will simply try again.

I have to say though that the mood of the British airport public today has been quite impressive. It seems that terrorism is an acceptable reason for delay.

[hr]

grousefanatic

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting grousefanatic from 17:06, 10th Aug 2006
They could fly him to an RAF base, where as a rule security is a teensy bit tighter.

Will he be allowed to take a drink on board?

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Insight on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Not suggesting that there is any falsity in this, I am tempted to think that the timing is a little iffy - not too long (a day) from when Dr Reid warned us all we may have to sacrifice civil liberties to aid the fight against terrorism, on a scale not seen since WWII - think all this will provide another push in the "right" direction.

The authorites have seemingly known about & have been dealing with this plot for some time - I suspect they controlled its release on a more suspect basis.

[hr]

SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting queen of scots from 15:47, 10th Aug 2006
Surely the terrorists could get round that though if they were that desperate. Could they not do what the drugs people do, swallow little bags of whatever, and let nature take its course....?

The number of ways your educated terrorist could easily get around security is mind-boggling. Thankfully most terrorists aren't very well educated - so best not give them ammunition, as it were. Drugs also tend to be a bit more stable than explosives, which don't really like acid or heat. Plus the quantities are usually somewhat different.

Quoting Gealle from 14:38, 10th Aug 2006
Not saying it's a conspiracy at all...

But 8/10...

Wait... that's 0.8! /team_america

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board