Home

TheSinner.net

help me!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

help me!!

Postby lauraelizabeth on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:19 pm

i just sold a £300 ring on ebay. i got an email from paypal that told me i would get the money in my paypal account as soon as i sent it recorded mail and entered the ID number for it. i did this. the money didnt go in. i emailed paypal and they said the email wasnt from them. i have neither ring nor money and the ring is now halfway to nigeria. is there anything i can do? ive emailed royal mail and ebay and paypal, but im not sure what options are available to me. the police wont touch it cause its nigeria... i know it was stupid but i dont think i deserve to lose all that money!
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:51 pm

You seriously sent it to Nigeria? I'm afraid there is little you can do, to be quite honest. You have been scammed. Not only that, but Nigeria scams are surely the most common you'll find on the Internet. Bad luck.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:57 pm

really?!?!? the woman told me it was to go to her sister, and the paypal emails were so real and had paypal as the sender address... surely there must be something??
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm

It is very easy to fake an e-mail, and PayPal and eBay are probably the most common targets. Have a look at the "spoof e-mail" sections of their help pages.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:01 pm

very unlucky to get caught out by one of those scams.
i've heard of similar scams where they want you to post it to ethiopia.
do paypal even communicate (about customer's money )with people by email, i know none of the major banks do.

i dont really know if there's much you can do, but it sounds like you;ve unfortuantely been scammed. :(

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:08 pm

yeah paypal tell you when the money has gone into your account. i never used paypal before so i didnt think it was out of the ordinary... damn i needed that money so bad
Quoting fozzy bear from 22:01, 10th Aug 2006
very unlucky to get caught out by one of those scams.
i've heard of similar scams where they want you to post it to ethiopia.
do paypal even communicate (about customer's money )with people by email, i know none of the major banks do.

i dont really know if there's much you can do, but it sounds like you;ve unfortuantely been scammed. :(

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby laura25 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:37 pm

My brother fell for exactly the same scam with his laptop last week. All he has managed to do is get DHL to stop the parcel before it reached the recipient, they want £100 to ship it back to him though so either way he's lost out. Still, lesson is learnt for next time I guess :(
laura25

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 pm

i guess this is why it's best to not post outwith the UK and make the buyer pay for postage.
have you tried contacting royal mail to see if it's been delivered yet? if it hasnt been, you could always try and stop it.

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:34 pm

My dad is in the E*Bay online business world big time, and so I've been around it a lot.

I can definitively state that the NUMBER ONE (#1) rule of online transactions is NEVER SHIP ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED PAYMENT.

Anyone who insists you ship before they pay is scamming you. Full stop.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm

Any email that mentions Nigeria should make you do a double take; the country is synonymous with email scams. I've recieved hundreds of messages from oportunistic parasites promising huge benefits for my initial investment.

I'm afraid it sounds like you've just been boned.

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:46 pm

Sorry, deleted due to wrong smilie.

Yeah, you've been boned. NEVER read an email that mentions the country of Nigeria without thinking "Hmmm... I smell shite".

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:34 am

I agree with LP - You just don't send anything until the payment is recieved. Simple common sense.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:37 am

There's an old phrase: caveat emptor.

I think it applies equally to people who buy into bullshit.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 am

ebay has more dishonest people on it than honest, it is an example of the arseholes of society
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby killbill on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting lauraelizabeth from 21:19, 10th Aug 2006
i just sold a £300 ring on ebay. i got an email from paypal that told me i would get the money in my paypal account as soon as i sent it recorded mail and entered the ID number for it. i did this. the money didnt go in. i emailed paypal and they said the email wasnt from them. i have neither ring nor money and the ring is now halfway to nigeria. is there anything i can do? ive emailed royal mail and ebay and paypal, but im not sure what options are available to me. the police wont touch it cause its nigeria... i know it was stupid but i dont think i deserve to lose all that money!

wind-up alert...

you are not serious, i hope this post is a joke, because if you seriously did do what you say, then i'm afraid you do desevre to lose all that money.
killbill

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:45 am

HEY HANG ON!!! ive never used paypal before, i didnt know that wasn't the way things are done. i don't have anyone i could check with to make sure it's okay. so before you go around telling me i got what's coming to me, take that into consideration okay? i think some people on here are all too willing to throw stones huh? i've emailed royal mail to try and get them to stop the parcel, i dont care if they throw it in the bin so long as the fucking nigerians dont get it...
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am

Yes, you totally deserve it! Why the hell send off an item YOU are selling, without receiving payment first?

Especially with ebay, where you should always keep your wits about you. Get payment THEN send the item, cause I aint paying for postage out of my own pocket!

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby the Empress on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:13 am

wow, everyone's pretty hash. I hope you manage to stop your parcel.
the Empress

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:35 am

Well, to be fair, you did have someone you could check with before you sent the parcel - i mean you're asking for advice on here now so you could've asked before sending for info on how paypal works. But hindsight is always 20/20 - i hope you at least manage to stop the wankers from getting the parcel :-)

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...

...And I am a Sinner Goddess.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 am

yeah, i think people saying it's your fault are being a bit harsh.
so you screwed up. i bet you wont do it again though.
at least it was sentrecorded delivery so youve got a reference number to speak to Royal Mail with so they might be able to stop it.

make sure you post to say if you stopped it or not, i'm curious to find out if the nigerian bastard/s gets it. :P

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board