Home

TheSinner.net

Freshers Week Line Up

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Freshers Week Line Up

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm

Its here! http://www.yourunion.net/2006

I've never heard of the Cutup boys and can't find anything about them on the Radio 1 website, can someone enlighten me?
Other than that it seems to be the usual stuff - comedy, ceilidh, bop, hypnotist and the now obligatory Eurovision entrant.
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby g on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:54 pm

They're mash-up DJs, who take the vocals from one song and lay them over the instrumental part of another song or songs.

You can hear a couple of their mixes on their website at http://www.cutupboys.co.uk/. They also do a guest slot at the start of Judge Jules' Radio 1 show, every Saturday night.

Graeme Hamilton
Director of Events and Services
g

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 pm

For the wicked lazy among us, I edited the post to include the link.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby John I on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 pm

Right i'm not being funny here, but why do we always have utter tripe for events in Freshers Week? Surely with a bit of planning we could get something better than Gina G and some half-rate DJs that arent even actually on radio?

How about a decent band? We had snow patrol a few years back, granted it was before they were big, and in my freshers we even had KT Tunstall. I know our union has a reputation of being cheesy, what with the Bop and that, but I think a line needs drawing somewhere.

And come on, a hypnotist?? It's not Butlins.
John I

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Well, if you find a few spare millions down the back of the sofa to hire The Who, Eddie Izzard and The Chemical Brothers, then let us know.

Although I did hear a rumour of Bob Dylan playing for free as he was so pleased with his Honourary Degree, sadly said rumour was, naturally, false.

Granted I remember Gina G being at the height of her fame 11 years ago... last year's line-up did look better in all fairness to you.

What I'm saying is this - the Union doesn't necessarily have the money to pull out all the stops and hit the bigtime. Sometimes you have to compromise. Or would you rather the Union blew its budget on Freshers Week, and had to resort to being able to afford nothing else through the rest of the year?

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Well, if you find a few spare millions down the back of the sofa to hire The Who, Deep Purple and Paul McCartney, then let us know.

Although I did hear a rumour of Bob Dylan playing for free as he was so pleased with his Honourary Degree, sadly said rumour was, naturally, false.

Granted I remember Gina G being at the height of her fame 11 years ago... last year's line-up did look better in all fairness to you.

What I'm saying is this - the Union doesn't necessarily have the money to pull out all the stops and hit the bigtime. Sometimes you have to compromise. Or would you rather the Union blew its budget on Freshers Week, and had to resort to being able to afford nothing else through the rest of the year?

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Well, if you find a few spare millions down the back of the sofa to hire The Who, Deep Purple and Paul McCartney, then let us know.

[hr]

Malcolm

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:57 pm

[hr]

Malcolm

Re:

Postby John I on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:08 am

I'm not asking them to blow the budget, but in response to that comment, what exactly did they spend it on last year, event-wise?

The year before we had Coolio, and that was fairly fun. But last year I dont recall anything.

How about some smaller bands? Or local ones? Just because they play an instrument doesnt mean they'll cost millions.

And its not compromise, It just always looks as if they've drawn up the plans on the back of a fag packet at the end of August, instead of actually trying to get something that people will say "Oh yeah I'd love to go see in the Union"
John I

Re:

Postby Duffman on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:15 am

Despite my initial disgust at GinaG, this is actually shaping up to look like the best fresher since I started. Scott Mills is pretty damn good, the hypotist is always fun, and there are no call on me girls! Plus after visiting GinaG's myspace, Im getting all nostalgic, I want to hear 'Ooh Ahh' live.

[hr]

Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting John I from 01:08, 29th Aug 2006
And its not compromise, It just always looks as if they've drawn up the plans on the back of a fag packet at the end of August, instead of actually trying to get something that people will say "Oh yeah I'd love to go see in the Union"

OK, I'll give you that. I reckon that, if it had been organised further in advance, we'd have known about it further in advance?

[hr]

Malcolm

Re:

Postby John I on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:24 am

Yeah that was my thinking behind it, it just doesnt seem to be organised very well at all. And the go on about how Venue 1 is the biggest covered venue in Fife - why dont we actually use it for something instead of an iTunes mix of complete cheese every tuesday and friday night? lol.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Bops, it just seems a waste of a perfectly good stage. Battle of the bands again maybe? A bit of ZebraJam - a perfect example of a local band that are awesome, and would attract a big crowd to actually listen to the music, not just point and laugh.

And for Christ's sake, who the hell thought "Nylon" would be a good idea??? lol.

Sorry about the ranting.

EDIT: I'd be interested to hear the Director of Events response to this
John I

Re:

Postby David on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 am

in my opinon a good covers band would be way better than some failing popstars last ditch attempt at a return to fame again.

everyone loves a good covers band, i saw a great one tonight, who do things with a little twist, at one point they played high ho silver lining, 500 miles, and sweet caroline all together in one song.... and it worked brilliantly!
David

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 am

KT tunstall and Coolio weren't freshers' week acts.

I work in a venue that has the same sort of problem as the union, people don't go to the "good" events and so, the events which are popular are the ones that are on the most (unions case bops, my venue's case tribute nights and old singers, lena martell, the searchers, etc)

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby sartorius on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:41 am

Is that really the line up, or is this a well planned joke? how can an entire summer of planning result in amoung other things a bop and two retro discos? Surely students form the best university in scotland should have enough inginuity to make up something good, even on a shoestring budget
sartorius

Re:

Postby boris on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:12 am

utter crap. thank fuck im working.
boris

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 am

If you need me I shall be in my flat with a copious amount of alcohol, mates and a CD player playing actual decent music. All are welcome.

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)

I assassin down the avenue.
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:15 am

Lighten up, what exactly do you expect during Freshers' Week?! An impromptu Rolling Stones' gig?
Rufus

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:19 am

Oh dear... let's see what the Regs committee come up with!

[hr]

Malcolm

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:12 pm

Ceilidh with a "bit of rock"? Fuck that shit. Come and get Rock with a arse load of Rock in Venue 2 on the Thursday night. There'll be alcohol and titties too.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board