Home

TheSinner.net

Scotipedia

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Scotipedia

Postby sabra_girl on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 pm

I thought this was a piss-take but now I'm not sure. Thought I'd bring it to your collective attention.

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)

I assassin down the avenue.
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:46 pm

Someone needs to write an article about NEDS.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Iain on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:39 pm

Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Why would this be a pisstake? Scottish culture is perfectly valid, you know. And I think more power to the good of using some good old Scots language there, too. Time to subvert Anglocentric perceptions! Scottish culture has masses to contribute. Some of the world's greatests literature comes from there too.

Edited to say: is it me or do they have NOTHING on Scottish literature? :(
[hr]

MA (Hons) English, St Andrews, 2005
MSt (in progress), Medieval English, Oxford, 2006
DPhil, funding secured + place offered, Medieval Scottish and English literature, Oxford, 2009
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:37 pm

I am a Scot and have studied both Scottish literature and Scottish history at university level so don't worry - I have an inkling as to the validity of Scottish culture. I was just a bit taken-aback to have stumbled across this and since no one had mentioned it before (plus the fact that I linked to it from uncyclopedia, designed to be the least reliable source in the history of sources) I had my doubts and wanted to verify.

[hr]

I assassin down the avenue.
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:11 pm

Ah, brilliant! Another Caledoniophile! Are you continuing with Scottish stuff? It really is rather fanatbulous, all the best people like it ;)

[hr]

MA (Hons) English, St Andrews, 2005
MSt (in progress), Medieval English, Oxford, 2006
DPhil, funding secured + place offered, Medieval Scottish and English literature, Oxford, 2009
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby MrGreedy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

Almost as good as the Scottish Parliament site:

Walcome til the Scottish Pairlament wabsite

The Scottish Pairlament is here for tae represent aw Scotland's folk.

We want tae mak siccar that as mony folk as can is able tae find oot aboot whit the Scottish Pairlament dis and whit wey it warks. We hae producit information anent the Pairlament in a reenge o different leids tae help ye tae find oot mair.

This section o wir wabsite introduces ye til the information that is tae haun on wir wabsite in Scots.

Just begs to be read out loud doesn't it?

More here:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/language/scots/index.htm
MrGreedy

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Iain from 18:39, 29th Aug 2006
http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunfermline

nuff said; think it might need some work!

[hr]

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~snpsoc

All that needs doing there is to replace 'big' with 'sh*te'.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting KateBush from 20:28, 29th Aug 2006
Time to subvert Anglocentric perceptions!

But Wikipedia prides itself on its NPOV stance. Why should an article in the English Wikipedia be in the slightest difference to one in the Scots Wikipedia.

Of course it's valid to have a Wikipedia in every language, (even I occasionally read the Manx Wikipedia), there's no need to have any perceptions except that of sheer neutrality. Anything else deserves to be flagged with the NPOV tag.

The reason that the English Wikipedia is bigger, however, is probably due to the persons in the world who speak it, compared to Scots speakers. What I'd love to see is a GB-ENG Wikipedia, so we don't have silly American spelling.

[hr]
edit: correction Wikipedia / Sinner cross-formatting.

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting KateBush from 20:28, 29th Aug 2006
is it me or do they have NOTHING on Scottish literature? :(

Wikipedia is no they. It is a we. Add some. It'll do you the world of good. It counts as one of your five a day. [s](not a guarantee)[/s]

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:57 pm

Bawbag

Glesgae slang for scrotum

Well, it just passed my rigorous tests.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 pm

It isn't an encyclopedia about Scotland, it's an encyclopedia in Scots. There's a subtle but distinct difference.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 am

Nearly as bad as Ulster Scots. Only a matter of time before that crowd's in on the action as well.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:29 pm

What next? Wikipedia in Latin, or how about Bohemian Romani?

I can see this could be a big hit, resurrecting dead languages to appease nationalist sentiment.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board