Home

TheSinner.net

How to live forever

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

How to live forever

Postby Nickel on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:14 pm

I heard on the radio that if you have a healthy Mediterranean diet, get plenty of exercise and drink fruit juice and vegetable juice; you can reduce your chances of dying by up to 50%.
Nickel

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:35 pm

You don't say.

I battle with the choice between a brief but happy life spent indulging in food and drink, or a longer (and arguably miserable) life with a regimented exercise and eating plan.

There is nothing more mood deflating than juicing fruit.
Rufus

Re:

Postby sartorius on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting nickel from 14:14, 31st Aug 2006
you can reduce your chances of dying by up to 50%.

Perhaps I'm being miserable, but we all have a 100% chance of dying.
sartorius

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:01 pm

Thats the whole point, duh!

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting sartorius from 15:56, 31st Aug 2006

I dunno... I heard there are more people alive today than have existed in history, so statistically only 50% of people have died. Those aren't bad odds.

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Icarus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:10 pm

I was listening to that story too, and I'm reasonably certain the guy being interviewed meant you had a 50% less chance of dying early if you have a proper diet and exercise. Hardly ground breaking stuff, but his whole point was that the NHS and the government should be trying more to get people to change their lifestyles to prevent getting ill, rather than everything being orientated to how to deal with people once they get sick. Although there were some interesting bits in the story, like for example drinking fruit juice 3 times a week apparently reduces your chance of getting Alzheimers by 75%.

Oh and statistically most people have less than 2 legs. Not that that's relevant to anything, but if we're all quoting statistics...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102351
Icarus

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:54 pm

I think you'll find that the statistically most people have two legs. The average person on the other hand has less than two legs :P

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Moffat on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:56 pm

I reckon you can increase your life expectancy mearly by doing the things you want to do, and not worrying about "5 portions a day" or "30 mins active exercise". So long as you live a happy, active lifestyle, you can live as long as you want to.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Moffat

Re:

Postby rg237 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:01 pm

I've never really understood why people are so desperate to prevent aging and prolong life! Aging is completly natural and by atempting to mask it you are simply lying to yourself!

All that being said there is nothing wrong (in my view) with a nice healthy diet that makes you feel good,which I hear the Mediterranean diet is well known for.

In short life for today, plan for tomorrow!

[hr]

How do you know the future you've got now is the same future you're going to have if something in the past is different from the last time you went back to the future?
How do you know the future you've got now is the same future you're going to have if something in the past is different from the last time you went back to the future?
rg237

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:47 pm

If the mediterranean diet means lots of fresh, locally grown produce, pasta, olive oil, bread (And olive oil), and wine... I'm all for it. As to the exercise, if you were living in the mediterannean or somewhere with a similar climate and etc, who wouldn't want to be walking around and seeing the sights? or sailing or swimming or biking or whatever.

It sounds like a fine way to live to me, regardless of the whole "must deny myself for the sake of health so I can be a grumpy 90 year old who never had any fun"
Quoting Rufus from 14:35, 31st Aug 2006
You don't say.

I battle with the choice between a brief but happy life spent indulging in food and drink, or a longer (and arguably miserable) life with a regimented exercise and eating plan.

There is nothing more mood deflating than juicing fruit.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:18 pm

I think I'll stick to my current dorito diet, it tastes good. Plus, surely by the time I'm 50 or so, they'll have found a way to stop death using DNA rewriting or whatever. Or more than likely...they won't have, but I live in hope.

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby Moffat on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:35 pm

When I was in the Mediterrainian last I just scoffed pizza all the time!
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Moffat

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:30 pm

People are living too long now, there's no doubt about it. I have seen peoplein their 80s or 90s in hospital, whose families insist they are resuscitated even though they are mentally shot away- their brains died a long time ago, really. but medical knowledge means that their bodies can be kept alive.

There are too many old people now- nursing homes and hospitals are literally bursting at the seams with these people!

I say eat rubbish, live a short life and be happy :-)

[hr]

MA (Hons) English, St Andrews, 2005
MSt (in progress), Medieval English, Oxford, 2006
DPhil, funding secured + place offered, Medieval Scottish and English literature, Oxford, 2009
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 18:54, 31st Aug 2006
I think you'll find that the statistically most people have two legs. The average person on the other hand has less than two legs :P

[hr]

What?

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Quoting nymphomanic from 22:30, 31st Aug 2006
Quoting munchingfoo from 18:54, 31st Aug 2006

What?

Most people have two legs. Some people have one leg, half a leg, or no legs at all. Nobody has more than two legs. Therefore the average number of legs per person is slightly below two. So while you'd expect the average person to have 2.0 legs, the average person might have, for instance, 1.99 legs.

This means that the vast majority of people have more than the average number of arms, legs, ears, eyes, toes, and so on.
[James]

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:47 pm

"To live longer you have to give up all the things that make you *want* to live longer"

[hr]

I wanna be an anarchist, get pissed, destroy
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 am

Wow! Let me get this straight; they're saying that if we exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, we'll be healthier and less likely to die prematurely?

Wow! Whatever with they think of next? That smoking causes cancer? Perhaps alcahol causes liver damage? I'm sure the scientists will let us know in due course!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting angel_kohaku from 00:47, 1st Sep 2006
"To live longer you have to give up all the things that make you *want* to live longer"

[hr]

I wanna be an anarchist, get pissed, destroy

never a true word has been said
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby ronald villiers on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 17:36, 31st Aug 2006
Quoting sartorius from 15:56, 31st Aug 2006

I dunno... I heard there are more people alive today than have existed in history, so statistically only 50% of people have died. Those aren't bad odds.

[hr]

Not true. From a recent article in Geographical Magazine, this is only an urban myth. Currently their are around 6.5 billion people alive now and the Population Reference Bureau has concluded that more than 100 billion Homo sapiens have been born.

[hr]

There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
ronald villiers

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Amazing how you can twist the truth with statisitics. But I'm a strong believer that you can lead a long healthy AND happy life, tis just about making good choices and sometimes being lucky. Food that is healthy is often tasty, like fruit/fish, and there is certainly such a thing as fun exercise. Though I still think it's great to indulge sometimes...if you lose a year or 2 from your life because of it then so be it. I just choose not to smoke(etc.) and damage life quality and quantity. You can be fairly healthy w/out living like a saint!
Marie55

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board