Home

TheSinner.net

New Arts Building

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

New Arts Building

Postby box_of_delights on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:08 am

What do people think of the "New Arts Building" now open next to the main library? Firstly, anyone know if they're planning on giving it a name other than the NAB? I see they're using makeshift printed directional signs just now, suggesting they're still finishing off luxuries such as signage.

I thought the plan initially included a sort of airbridge linking the building to the main library? Judging by the three meter gap between the two this obviously didn't happen!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting box_of_delights from 12:08, 6th Oct 2006
What do people think of the "New Arts Building" now open next to the main library? Firstly, anyone know if they're planning on giving it a name other than the NAB? I see they're using makeshift printed directional signs just now, suggesting they're still finishing off luxuries such as signage.

I thought the plan initially included a sort of airbridge linking the building to the main library? Judging by the three meter gap between the two this obviously didn't happen!

[hr]

Well I don't like the automatic revolving doors...I managed to prepare for my IR tutorial in the time it took me to get through them the other day, seriously slow! The general environment seems very professional although there seems to be a lot of just space with nothing in it! I too thought it'd be connected to the library. It not particular obvious how to get to it unless you're wandering around the scores, no signposts round the back of the library.
chaffinch

Re:

Postby macgamer on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:33 am

To be honest they should probably call it 'The University of St Andrews Mint'.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 am

ha ha ha ha haha ha ahh, they shouldobably just call it somnething, something, mint, ha h ah ah ahahh nice one. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....dont give up yer day job. hurdy gurdy gurdy.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:11 pm

I believe naming it is up to the person who donated the money to build it and the University Court. There is someone who donated loads of money but maybe they haven't finalised it.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 pm

as for walkway-- maybe they're waiting for the library to be redone so they don't have to tear a portion of it down in a few years for library renovations.

And I remember weird things had to be done with the plans because of proximity to St Katherine's West, a listed building.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 22:15, 6th Oct 2006
And I remember weird things had to be done with the plans because of proximity to St Katherine's West, a listed building.

And the proximity of it to the cinema, I can lean out a window and almost touch the building.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:37 am

The NAB as it'll no doubt be affectionately called is a lovely building. Even though it isn't the same style as the other arts buildings, it has quite a small profile, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the library does. On the inside, it's quite spartan, and it feels a bit like an office building. The reception guy is quite helpful, and it's not too hard to find your way around it. I agree with chaffinch about the revolving doors- way too slow!
The Jaspar

Re:

Postby MrGreedy on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 am

Sounds interesting - anyone got a link to pictures for those of us not in town? What departments have moved in there?
MrGreedy

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:57 am

They're still looking for a 'big' donor to name it after. The building now houses the School of I.R., some Middle Eastern Studies offices, and institutes like the CSTPV. It also has a lecture theatre with a capacity of 90, and 9 seminar rooms - 8 hold up to 22, 1 up to 40. History is the other main user of the seminar space.

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Mid-construction, view from the Scores:
[img]http://www.janruss.com/nabbuild.jpg[/img]

Complete. View from Butts Wynd side of the library:
[img]http://www.janruss.com/nabcom.jpg[/img]

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Taken from the cinema today. A shot taken of the back of the building, and one showing how close it is to us.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:34 pm

I really like it, I don't know what it is about massive windows you stand next to but they make me dizzy in the best possible way. Weird

Also the view is stunning

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

First time i was in it i was seriously hungover and i though an entranceway was a window and stupidly put my hands out to check if it was. Tard
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

First time i was in it i was seriously hungover and i though an entranceway was a window and stupidly put my hands out to check if it was. Tard
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:14 pm

It's very DRA meets Gateway meets anything else built by the university in the last few years.

I do hope it doesn't date. This is, after all, the university who has been guilty of many offences under the Geneva Convention for Architechture.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:03 am

The NAB as it'll no doubt be affectionately called is a lovely building. Even though it isn't the same style as the other arts buildings, it has quite a small profile, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the library does. On the inside, it's quite spartan, and it feels a bit like an office building. The reception guy is quite helpful, and it's not too hard to find your way around it. I agree with chaffinch about the revolving doors- way too slow!

Return to The Sinner's Main Board