Home

TheSinner.net

Sexual Assault

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:40 am

no, not a lot of thought, i teach self defence...
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby fat bastard on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:30 pm

I assume you are mentally ill

Quoting theonlyone from 23:10, 8th Oct 2006
bloody hell! in st andrews!! why cant every man be decent and honourable, blah blah blah, spelling mistake, blah blah , as the song goes "where have all the good men gone?!" blah blah spelling mistake blah, but its still the male race!
fat bastard

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:00 pm

That's awful. I hope they catch whoever did it. As for the description given, that could be any one of hundreds of people in town. hell, 5'6'', Short hair, in his 20's... I fit that profile FFS (I was however at at Gallochhead on the west-coast last Saturday.)

As for this place being safe, Don't be foolish. Every single september we have an influx of people from all over the place coming here. I've already seen one guy go completely psychotic this semmester. Being able to blag A-levels doesn't make you an upstanding human being by proxy!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby inshaala on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting theonlyone from 23:10, 8th Oct 2006
bloody hell! in st andrews!! why cant every man be decent and honourable, it would make life so much easier and safer!! its ridiculous that we should have to go around with sharpe, but not lethal wepons in our pocket to protect our selves, as the song goes "where have all the good men gone?!" men you should be ashamed of yourselves, of course i no you are not all like this, but its still the male race!

just like to say you sound just as bad as a racist saying that, and you woulndt want to think of yourself as a racist now would you. Why dont i just call all women slags, including you for that matter, for seeing one or two wearing a short skrit, low top with no knickers on and flaunting it as she walks? I know not all are like this, but it is still the female race...

[hr]

Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
inshaala

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:01 pm

I an a man and i think rapists should have their balls cut off but not all men are sexual predators it is just the minority that gives the descent majority a bad name. And you do get female perverts as well as you have seen through female teachers being charged with sexuall assault on pupils.
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 pm

I stumbled upon a friend of mine being raped once. Fortunately, the perp backed down, but there were a few tense moments where it seemed he was going to try to fight me with a big knife. If he had come at me, I'd have killed him with no hesitation, and I would have slept soundly that night.

We do not live in a fairy tale world. Because some parts of the world are safer today than at any time in history, we tend to take life for granted. However, even the safest parts of our world can turn downright nasty without warning on any given day. If you forget that, and aren't prepared for it, then you are just relying on dumb luck to keep you safe. And, well... that's dumb.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby TCT on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 22:18, 9th Oct 2006
Because some parts of the world are safer today than at any time in history, we tend to take life for granted.
[hr]

Arma virumque cano...

I'm sorry - which parts are safer than 'at any time in history'?
TCT

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:18 pm

The part where our lives aren't routinely interrupted by warbands coming over the boarder, burning our homes, killing the men and taking the women and children.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting TCT from 22:26, 9th Oct 2006
Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 22:18, 9th Oct 2006
Because some parts of the world are safer today than at any time in history, we tend to take life for granted.
[hr]

Arma virumque cano...

I'm sorry - which parts are safer than 'at any time in history'?

Oh, I'd say, generally speaking, the Western world which more or less goes by the rule of law these days, meaning you can't just be arbitrarily arrested and executed because your king decided he wanted your forest to go deer hunting in once a year.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby valeria on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:38 pm

In relation to this, is there any truth in the rumour there was a stabbing this week as well?
valeria

Re:

Postby sporka on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:19 pm

There is defintely a need to be cautious no matter WHERE you are. An attack on someone shouldn't be what it takes to make sure that you are on your guard and being careful. It's tragic and terrible what happened and if something GOOD has to come from it, I'm glad that it's more women taking some more awareness of their personal safety.

Was she American? I'm American and that sounds like something stupid an American from a big city would say. I think I'VE said something similar in fact- "What are you telling me to be careful for, I grew up in DETROIT and lived in LOS ANGELES. Pishaw."

As a country, we're pretty stupid and think that if we're not in the absolute worst situation we can cope with then there are no threats*. "I am not in the ghetto of Oakland so what could happen to me here in Happytown, Iowa?" I see that mindset a lot back home. We are safe when we are not in our idea of the worst situation.

*Not all Americans. I'm sure if I lump us ALL together, some cranky fellow countryman/woman of mine will pipe up complaining that "I'm not like that. I know enough to take ALL threats seriously." So I will just say MOST Americans.
sporka

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Wise words, just a bit annoying to read with all the CAPITALISATION.
Rufus

GUESS WHO

Postby flarewearer on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:38 pm

This is the E-fit the Police have released

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby flossy on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Anyone else seen the "posters" the police have put about Church Square? Not exactly effective - they don't mention the date or time of the assault, description or efit of the guy, just simply "St Andrews Rape, call with information...". Not liable to jog anyone's memory. Compare with how the Met raise awareness of such things and this is wholly inadequate.

[hr]

Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Quoting flossy from 20:43, 14th Oct 2006
Anyone else seen the "posters" the police have put about Church Square? Not exactly effective - they don't mention the date or time of the assault, description or efit of the guy, just simply "St Andrews Rape, call with information...". Not liable to jog anyone's memory. Compare with how the Met raise awareness of such things and this is wholly inadequate.

[hr]

Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

They do it properly in Edinburgh. The way they do it there is have CCTV snapshots on the poster, all the relevant details, contact information etc.

The police need some proper posters if they're going to get information out of folk.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105257
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Δ on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 22:38, 11th Oct 2006
This is the E-fit the Police have released

[hr]

Right All Of You Facebook Stalkers. Get Out There And Do Some Looks-Like-That Witch Hunting .

[hr]

The Watcher And The Tower...
IMAGE:img224.imageshack.us/img224/5155/wt125qf1.jpg
The Watcher And The Tower...
IMAGE:img224.imageshack.us/img224/5155/wt125qf1.jpg
Δ

Re:

Postby flossy on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Be fair, the hair isn't very studenty - facebook stalking may prove ineffective.

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 pm

Looks like a chav rather than a student, if you ask me.

And if it was a student, chances are somebody somewhere in town would have gone forward to the police with the guy's name... even if he did have close friends, some people would be absolutely horrified and feel they just had to speak out.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105257
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 am

Lets stereotype..

GINGER HAIR THEREFORE HE IS A SCOT.

That will narrow it down...

Seriously, though, it was when plenty of tourists were round, the Dunhill was on. Posters saying "RAPE ST ANDREWS" don't confer a point. They seem more of a challenge than a call to conscience.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby iohannes on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting lauraelizabeth from 12:40, 9th Oct 2006
no, not a lot of thought, i teach self defence...

Then you should probably be aware that going for the groin is one of the worst choices (as in it's the most obvious choice). Knee or instep is the best option (especially if you have hefty shoes or high heels.) A heel in the foot or a sharp punt to the knee is far more likely to connect and also hurts like buggery. It'd also help prevent them chasing you when you do the only really sensible thing which is leg it, screaming.

As to a pencil, best bet is a can of hairspray or high alcohol content deoderant. Like the pencil both are acceptable and legal things to carry in a purse (mace is not). Spraying in the eyes will have a similar effect as using mace and again will give you an opportunity to do the most sensible thing which is flee calling out for attention from anyone likely to be around.

[hr]

That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board