Home

TheSinner.net

Academic parents

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Academic parents

Postby Han on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Ok, so, today I got asked to be a mum by two lovely girls! Yay!

But here's my question: what makes a good academic parent? Anyboy had any particularly good ones, or any awful ones?

C'mon I want stories people :-)
Han

Re:

Postby McK on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Han from 23:35, 17th Oct 2006
Ok, so, today I got asked to be a mum by two lovely girls! Yay!

But here's my question: what makes a good academic parent? Anyboy had any particularly good ones, or any awful ones?

C'mon I want stories people :-)

Seriously? Depends on how you define 'good'. A couple of members, at least, of my academic family read the Sinner so maybe they will disagree with me.

I found that cooking for them on the odd occasion was a good thing, especially given the low standards which university catering seems to show.

But what makes a good academic parent? Surely it must be similar qualities one would like to find in a good friend. That, of course, is entirely subjective.
McK

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:17 am

Having a family night once in a while and talking to your children on a regular basis is good - Some of my friends only ever see their parents if they randomly bump into them, whereas I see (or at the very least speak to via email/text/facebook) my mum and dad every week at least.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:31 am

To be a good academic parent (apologies for writing while inebriated and jetlagged)...

I have made my mistakes while being a parent, it's true, but to be a good academic parent is to be there when your children need you. I graduated over two years ago, but still maintain a good relationship with my academic family. I still see my wife, despite going out with one of my daughters. I visited another of my daughters in Canada last week. I helped a child of mine cope with the worst time in her life and helped bring her out the other side. I was, and am, their friend. I look out for them, I care for them, but above all, I threw a Raisin Party for them. If your parents can do that, and not screw it up, they're doing better than me! :)

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 am

They also have to give you a Raisin string. They can be your bestest friend in the world, but if you don't get that Raisin string then your parents suck.

[hr]

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby LittleBlue on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 am

I think being around (Kayleigh - I've rather neglected you and I'm sorry!) is the main thing.
Also providing food. The best thing my mum ever did was look after me when I was ill - that hot toddy did more good than a weeks worth of cough mixture! I just like that if I call my mum and tell her I need a hug, I'll get one. Love you Mummy Eleanor!
LittleBlue

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:18 am

Just having a chat with your kids from time to time is enough to feel them appreciated, rather than some necessary and routine thing. Also, family reunions.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 pm

I graduated in June but have kept in touch with my kids and step kids (and grandkids and great grandkids)....the key is to make sure you contact them once a week - whether it be by text, facebook, email, letter, phone whatever - just to let them know you are there for them. Even now they will phone me and ask me where such a such building is or where can they find xyz lecture theatre so I'm pretty much in the loop!

My 2 mothers never made me a raisin string and i only saw my academic father twice :( However, my kids were rather cool and made me a raisin string too. I made them all a string (a lot of thought and care went into them).

Just be a good pal to them - organise parties (if you're in hall - have them in your kitchen) - I found ice cream went down a treat with my kids! :) (Oh and it's always nice to remember their birthdays!)
harmless loony

Return to The Sinner's Main Board