Home

TheSinner.net

glasgow caledonian 'library'....GARBAGE

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

glasgow caledonian 'library'....GARBAGE

Postby Big X on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:11 pm

ok, so i'm sitting in Glasgow Caledonian Library. The difference between this place and st andys is vast. Our place is so much better. i'm on the 4th floor which is supposed to be the 'silent floor', as opposed to the 3rd floor, 'quiet floor' and the 1st ands 2nd floors which just appear to be a big coffee shop/place to yell at each other. Even up here the noise is akin to the playpen, with mobiles going off left, right and centre and people chatting. i dunno, maybe if people just shut the fuck up then people could actually study, get decent degrees and lift this institution out of the bottom rungs of the league tables.

there are computers EVERYWHERE, which i suppose is a good thing but hardly any proper desks at which u can actually spread your books out and do some work.

everyone bangs on about how there are wither not enough books in the library or too many. There are harldly any here, almost all the shelves are half empty, although this could well be just good planning for the future.

Also, some of the people here are clearly DUMB AS FUCK......i'm sitting next to a chick reading some kind of psychology book and i just heard her ask the guy sitting next to her "what are placebos and how do u take them?".......

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:34 pm

As opposed to some sill bitch who came into the library in St Andrews over study period and sat coughing for two weeks. I still have hatred for her.
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby TCT on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:40 pm

Whilst the Glas. Cal. library may not be fantastic I personally find many discourteous, ignorant people at its St Andrews counterpart.
TCT

Re:

Postby Rufus on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting Otis redding from 14:34, 23rd Oct 2006
As opposed to some sill bitch who came into the library in St Andrews over study period and sat coughing for two weeks. I still have hatred for her.

I take it you're not studying medicine?
Rufus

Re:

Postby JM on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:08 pm

least theirs is asbestos free :P

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 pm

Asbestos is good for you. *

[s]*may not be medically accurate[/s]
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:32 pm

the important question here is WHY THE HELL WERE YOU THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Big X on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 00:32, 26th Oct 2006
the important question here is WHY THE HELL WERE YOU THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

TRYING to get some work done while the missus spent 4 hours learning how to stretch someones hamstrings, or whatever physios do

[hr]

Big X

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:42 am

Two young American men meeting in the library, amongst the shelves of the 2nd floor:

"Hey man! What are YOU doing in the library?!"
"Dude I gotta research for some fuckin essay, what about you?"
"Yeah man me too - I can't believe you're here too!!"

They continued to discuss their disbelieve at being united in the library with researching an essay as the common cause for a few minutes before parting ways, presumably to play in traffic.

(NB I do not mean to malign Americans, it just so happens that this is the accent they both seemed to have)
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby theflirt on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting Big X from 14:11, 23rd Oct 2006
ok, so i'm sitting in Glasgow Caledonian Library. The difference between this place and st andys is vast. Our place is so much better. i'm on the 4th floor which is supposed to be the 'silent floor', as opposed to the 3rd floor, 'quiet floor' and the 1st ands 2nd floors which just appear to be a big coffee shop/place to yell at each other. Even up here the noise is akin to the playpen, with mobiles going off left, right and centre and people chatting. i dunno, maybe if people just shut the fuck up then people could actually study, get decent degrees and lift this institution out of the bottom rungs of the league tables.

there are computers EVERYWHERE, which i suppose is a good thing but hardly any proper desks at which u can actually spread your books out and do some work.

everyone bangs on about how there are wither not enough books in the library or too many. There are harldly any here, almost all the shelves are half empty, although this could well be just good planning for the future.

Also, some of the people here are clearly DUMB AS FUCK......i'm sitting next to a chick reading some kind of psychology book and i just heard her ask the guy sitting next to her "what are placebos and how do u take them?".......

[hr]

So, why didn't you leave and go to strathclyde library, or even better yet - glasgow uni library? or if they didn't suit you - the mitchell library, which is excellent for studying as it is monitored for talkers?
OR, ask everyone who was talking to be quiet considering it was a library.
Instead of ridiculing it, just leave it!

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Would have to agree with that, now that I am a proper student again, this time at strathclyde, I can say that the library here is a great, great deal better than St andrews. big and quiet reading/studying, seperate discussion rooms, plenty of computers, comfy chairs, only thing i'd say st andrews has better is functions on and number of photocopiers.

[hr]

Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby smile on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting Rrrr from 19:11, 27th Oct 2006
Would have to agree with that, now that I am a proper student again, this time at strathclyde, I can say that the library here is a great, great deal better than St andrews. big and quiet reading/studying, seperate discussion rooms, plenty of computers, comfy chairs, only thing i'd say st andrews has better is functions on and number of photocopiers.

[hr]

Splat!

Well they're replaced all our photocopiers with new 'supposedly' better ones. They are smaller, slower and don't staple and they cost 7p a sheet which quite frankly is a bloody joke.

So I guess Strathclyde wins all round then!
smile

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 pm

Quoting smile from 19:22, 27th Oct 2006
Well they're replaced all our photocopiers with new 'supposedly' better ones. They are smaller, slower and don't staple and they cost 7p a sheet which quite frankly is a bloody joke.

Agreed. The Océ 3045 was an outstanding photocopier, but obviously they felt they were getting a bit old. The Sharp copiers do have certain nice features particular to digital machines, but their main advantage that I can see is that they'll act as network scanners if and when they implement that. They'll probably end up charging you to scan...
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting smile from 19:22, 27th Oct 2006

I think the new photocopiers can staple - they have a big picture/indentation cutoutty type thing in the shape of a staple on the side. But how they do it is a complete mystery. I spent at least 5 minutes shoving my photocopying in various gaps in the machine to see if it would staple. I imagine you have to programme it to staple stuff. Boo.

[hr]

And it is, it is a glorious thing to be a pirate king...
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting Bread Roll from 20:34, 27th Oct 2006
I imagine you have to programme it to staple stuff. Boo.

Yes you do, and it will only do it if it's had a finisher unit installed, and if it hasn't been disabled in config. I haven't tried yet. Press Output and select Staple Sort and see what you get.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:15 pm

I have to say St. Andrews does have a pretty good library system. Ok so we don't have the biggest library and we don't have the most books, but the way its run is pretty good. At Edinburgh uni you can sit in one library and find the book you need is a 15 minute bus ride away. And if someone gets it before you, you can go in (yes go in, none of this convenient online stuff) and recall a book, which may or may not be returned (no penalty for not, its just "courteous" to return a recalled book). Short loans can't be taken out over a weekend, nor can they be booked in advance. They have 2 catalogue systems with different classmarks depending on how old the book is, study desks are few and far between and yes, people are generally always noisy whatever floor they are on.
Sorry, rant over :P
ENJOY ST. ANDREWS LIBRARY WHILE YOU CAN!!
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Craicman on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 am

Mathematician here, I didnt realise that we had a library :P

[hr]

~~DarkDepth~~
Craicman

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Quoting Lyeta from 22:15, 27th Oct 2006
I have to say St. Andrews does have a pretty good library system. Ok so we don't have the biggest library and we don't have the most books, but the way its run is pretty good. At Edinburgh uni you can sit in one library and find the book you need is a 15 minute bus ride away. And if someone gets it before you, you can go in (yes go in, none of this convenient online stuff) and recall a book, which may or may not be returned (no penalty for not, its just "courteous" to return a recalled book). Short loans can't be taken out over a weekend, nor can they be booked in advance. They have 2 catalogue systems with different classmarks depending on how old the book is, study desks are few and far between and yes, people are generally always noisy whatever floor they are on.

Well, actually, there's departmental libraries aplenty, and the central library is on George Square, the main university site. Short Loans are available for a week, reserve books for 3 hours. There is more than enough desk space.

People are really noisey though.

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:14 pm

The Edinburgh library's as noisy as hell, I got given access by my school when I was doing my AH History Dissertation about 2 years ago.

Mind you, the ground floor at the St Andrews library is just as bad, you think you'd walked into a shopping centre rather than a library when you walk in the front door.

[hr]

"Moskau, Moskau,
Wirf die Gläser auf die Wand
Russland ist ein schönes Land
o-ho ho ho ho ho, hey!"
Malcolm

Re:

Postby McK on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting from 11:12, 28th Oct 2006
Quoting Lyeta from 22:15, 27th Oct 2006

Well, actually, there's departmental libraries aplenty, and the central library is on George Square, the main university site. Short Loans are available for a week, reserve books for 3 hours. There is more than enough desk space.

People are really noisey though.

I agree, the Edinburgh libraries are quite noisy. However, the provision of books seems far better than St Andrews and the departmental libraries I have seen are excellent. The Law/Europa Library is particularly good.
McK

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board