Home

TheSinner.net

Securicor

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Securicor

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:42 am

Whats with the van on south street, it lurks in the bus bay near the end of bell street.

Its been ther at around 11 the last three nights and accoasionally at 1.

I thought these guys always came to do pick ups at "random" times so that you couldnt work out a schedule.

Plus who the hell would be handing over money at that time of night? - surely pubs and stuff do it in the morning when there is less interference from drunks?
theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting theshadowhost from 12:42, 26th Oct 2006
Plus who the hell would be handing over money at that time of night? - surely pubs and stuff do it in the morning when there is less interference from drunks?

Do they? Wouldn't that mean holding cash in the building overnight? Isn't that more of a theft risk than a few drunks whom Securicor should be well able to deal with?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:32 pm

That van parks right opposite my flat and it drives me crazy - it never turns its engine off and it's so damn loud! We usually spot it three or four times a week and it sits around for at least an hour usually - sometimes two. I thought Securicor were meant to move fast to avoid being done over? Grrr.

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)

"One word Jim, two syllables: demarkation." Dwight Schrute (The Office USA)
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Kempy on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting sabra_girl from 13:32, 26th Oct 2006
That van parks right opposite my flat and it drives me crazy - it never turns its engine off and it's so damn loud! We usually spot it three or four times a week and it sits around for at least an hour usually - sometimes two. I thought Securicor were meant to move fast to avoid being done over? Grrr.

Indeed, it's there most nights and is starting to get really annoying :(
Kempy

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:42 pm

That van has been parking in St Andrews for at least the last 5 years, I remember it in my first year. I think it does bank collections and a couplle from pubs, but mainly banks. Not sure why it picks that time to do them - my theory was that they finish the job they're doing somewhere else early every night and they just sit about in St Andrews waiting to do the job there, watching drunks fall about. Usually parks next to Ginhouse or in the bus parking bit outside Madras, although sometimes venturers onto Bell St.
Rennie

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:32 pm

But does anyone know who they are picking money off of? - i was watching/spying out the window the other night, but didnt manage to see any movement. - they were just sat there running the engine.
theshadowhost

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:12 pm

The only time I've ever seen anyone get in/out of it was when one of the guys was having a fag a couple of weeks back. I've never seen anyone depositing anything in it before.

[hr]

"One word Jim, two syllables: demarkation." Dwight Schrute (The Office USA)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Also securicor fill up the ATM machines in some of the banks in town. The reason they have to hang around is due to alarm timings in some of the banks.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:20 pm

I suppose they have to run the engine in case they need to make a quick getaway should some likely lads try anything.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 23:20, 26th Oct 2006
I suppose they have to run the engine in case they need to make a quick getaway should some likely lads try anything.

Perhaps they just run the heater.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 00:01, 27th Oct 2006
Quoting flarewearer from 23:20, 26th Oct 2006

Perhaps they just run the heater.

Maybe they don't like students and want to keep them awake at night.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 13:18, 26th Oct 2006
Quoting theshadowhost from 12:42, 26th Oct 2006

Do they? Wouldn't that mean holding cash in the building overnight? Isn't that more of a theft risk than a few drunks whom Securicor should be well able to deal with?

From my experience, pubs cash up and keep the takings in their safe overnight.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:43 pm

Yeah - pubs tend to have good security systems. Booze is worth a lot of money. Add a safe in the middle of it an you have a securer system than two middle aged no-bodies with eye visors at 1AM.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:24 am

Good point.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:36 pm

it'd be so easier to rob that thing. Even know 5 or more students know its whereabouts. Imagine someone with a criminal mind. Easy pickings.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:43 pm

I've seen it coming round the corner from Regs and stopping in front of the HBOS. Never seems to go to the RBS or Clydesdale.

Same time every night, but I suppose it's secure in that it's in a well-lit public area covered by cameras.

[hr]

"Moskau, Moskau,
Wirf die Gläser auf die Wand
Russland ist ein schönes Land
o-ho ho ho ho ho, hey!"
Malcolm

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:57 am

Securicor don't work with HBOS.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Moffat on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:17 am

I have seen that van on countless occasions over the last year. They got suspicious after a while, because my evening "routine" would always mean I walked past it at the same time every night. Kept giving me dirty looks. After a while, I randomised my routes so they wouldn't catch on.

They're probably just on their break, or cashing up stuff in the back. I had a fanciful idea that they loaded it though a manhole below the van, since it always seems to park in the same place.

These things are tanks though, you'd need to drop a nuke on the thing to breach it.

"I only told you to blow the bloody doors off!"
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Moffat

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:11 pm

Clydesdale definiteluy use Securicor.

Securicor don't caash up anything in their vans, they are handed cash in tamper proof bags (at least cash handed from the banks are), securicor would be in deep trouble if they were found to be opening them!

Has anyone tried just going up and asking them?

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Huckabee on Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:10 pm

I saw them a lot when I lived on south street last year. I just assumed they stopped there for their break as they were usually eating a sandwich/drinking tea or something. And I suppose they wouldn't turn the engine off because then they'd be sat in the dark for their break.
Huckabee

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board