Home

TheSinner.net

Holyrood Parish Council Tartan & Shortbread Committee strike again

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Holyrood Parish Council Tartan & Shortbread Committee strike again

Postby flarewearer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6100778.stm

It's nice to see that they really are getting to grips with the problems that truly blight Scotland like they were elected to do.
Might I suggest that they actually choose something slightly more Scottish than a bird with a distribution that covers the entire northern hemisphere? How about the Scottish Crossbill, it's a curious little fellow endemic to these parts only, and one of only three endemic bird species in all of Europe. Either that or the feral pigeon. It lives in the city on a mound of its own filth, has a rather greasy, rat-like appearance, begs for a living and is utterly infested with diseases, truly representative of the modern central-belt Scot, think ye not?

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:17 pm

Well all in all the Scottish Parliament is still pumping out much better legislation and governance than its Westminster overlord. Our NHS and public education system are the envy of the UK. No trust schools up here.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:22 pm

Good legislation? From the Scottish Parliment and Executive?

Oh, I do like a good wheeze now and again.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby AlenWatters on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:57 pm

Does anyone really care whether the Golden Eagle becomes an official national emblem? Alas, Probably.

Do such trivial pronouncements get made by committees in Westminster? Certainly.

A parliament which is stuck with the toon cooncil powers which ours does will enevitably turn into a toon cooncil.

Meanwhile, parties actually committed to asking
difficult questions of the government (OK, that'd be the SNP and Plaid Cymru) have given up their own parliamentary time today today call that Iraq debate (the first in too long) that you're all hearing about today.

And in doing so, are showing that not everyone wants to remain stuck in this toon cooncil mentality.

[hr]

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~snpsoc/
AlenWatters

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting AlenWatters from 12:57, 31st Oct 2006

difficult questions of the government (OK, that'd be the SNP and Plaid Cymru) have given up their own parliamentary time today today call that Iraq debate (the first in too long) that you're all hearing about today.

I hope it is to make up for wasting Holyrood parliamentary time in holding Iraq war debates there in a house which has no jurisdiction over such matters.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby AlenWatters on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 13:17, 31st Oct 2006

I hope it is to make up for wasting Holyrood parliamentary time in holding Iraq war debates there in a house which has no jurisdiction over such matters.

[hr]

Having a debate in Holyrood was a waste of time from a legislative point of view, but what is the point of a parliament if it cannot discuss the pressing issues of the day? How could a national parliament let thousands of its own people go to war in a foreign land and stay silent?

And besides, no-one was debating it in Westmister. Maybe thats because Holyrood has fuck all to do. Maybe its because there were MSPs from parties who did not want to take the Iraq war lying down.

[hr]

AlenWatters

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting AlenWatters from 13:41, 31st Oct 2006
And besides, no-one was debating it in Westmister. Maybe thats because Holyrood has fuck all to do. Maybe its because there were MSPs from parties who did not want to take the Iraq war lying down.

Why don't they stand for Westminster then if it's national matters which truly interest them?

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 13:17, 31st Oct 2006

[hr]

One could say the same about motions of condemnation tabled during LPH debates.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:02 am

LPH is an intellectual speakers' club-- an appreciation for the spoken word.

That isn't the same as a law-making body.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:43 am

Irish Frank

Re:

Postby AlenWatters on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 am

Why don't they stand for Westminster then if it's national matters which truly interest them?

[hr]

Holyrood has time set aside each week for debates concerning the issues of the day - and while Iraq was not strictly under its remit, they debated it, and rather unsuccessfully if I remember, because Labour ministers kept ducking the issue.

The whole point about the debate in Westminster on Tuesday was that it was the first time anyone had had a specific debate on Iraq since the start of the war - aa disgraceful satistic that Holyrood at least tried to remedy.

The Parliament in Edinburgh is I know very easy to knock for those who never agreed with it, and never will. It has its obvious failings, like the poor standard of members, particularly on the Labour benches, but this is getting gradually better. It is making decisions that are making real and positive differences - and can I say, as of course I should, that it can only get better with an SNP administration that has that bit of ambition and vision that has been lacking thus far - and get the parliament away from the shortbread tin issues.

[hr]

AlenWatters

Re:

Postby inshaala on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:23 pm

ooo - red grouse is more scotland for me - although that would probably skew the sales of Famous Grouse - i bet they are on the campaign trail for it tho ;)

[hr]

Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
inshaala

Return to The Sinner's Main Board