Home

TheSinner.net

depression in 4 year olds?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

depression in 4 year olds?!

Postby Fozzy Bear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:11 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6127694.stm

now i never thought i'd heard of a kid young kid becoming depressed, but over such a stupid reason as she has?

what's your opinions?

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:17 pm

I changed primary schools away from all my nursery friends six weeks into P1 and don't recall suffering from depression... Something else going on there possibly?

[hr]

We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
Ragamuffin

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 pm

I went to three different primary schools in three different towns and felt slightly sad but depressed???? Good god.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:39 pm

Oh I got all pissed off and annoyed with "depression in young people" ages ago and blogged it.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I honestly don't care:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=54885866&blogID=156535878&MyToken=c220c982-2574-4cc8-88b7-2740b8e1cd3a

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool
[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:03 pm

I'd be intrigued to see a serotonin PET scan of the wee mite. Neurotransmitters can become screwed up no matter how old you are.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:39 pm

According to my councellor I got depression age 5 when my parents broke up, moving between 4 homes and not knowing where I was sleeping one night to the next and trying to make mum and dad happy at the same time.

It continued all the way into my teens. Not helped by other factors. But I dont remember getting depression. Mind you by my teens it was my normal state...hmm - even still - I don't know about depression in children so young. I still dont really believe that I was depressed until I was 11.

I am confuzzled.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:34 pm

Just testing out ma new wee dancy man woo wooo

[hr]

dance.
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:35 pm

In that case I am severely depressed because not only did I not get to go to primary school with my nursery friends, I didn't get to go to secondary school with my primary school friends. FFS...

I've been to 5 different schools and it hasn't affected me... Wibble

[hr]

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Senethro on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 pm

If we accept depression as being a disease state, then why can a 4yo not be depressed?

I think there are a lot of people in this thread of the "buck up there chap" school of psychiatry...
Senethro

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:33 pm

I for one would be happy to say that is exactly the school I back. How many people in genocide areas of Africa or starving areas of India are on Prozac?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting Senethro from 17:29, 8th Nov 2006
If we accept depression as being a disease state, then why can a 4yo not be depressed?

I think there are a lot of people in this thread of the "buck up there chap" school of psychiatry...

Ok I'm not saying I don't "believe" in depression, I'm just saying sometimes that's the best way. And yes, I am speaking from personal experience before I get the "omg you are so unsympathetic" rants

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Senethro on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Buck up there chap, its only complications from a gunshot wound. You'll get over your family.

Buck up there chap, its only malnutrition. Think positively!

I don't know about prozac, but I'd suspect they're pretty fucking depressed.

While depression covers a huge area of different states that require a variety of methods of treatment, some of them are without reason/cause except a biological one. Being your buck-up-there-chap self to them is like having your lunch in front of the Indian kid.

Personal experience doesn't make you a complete authority. Funnily enough, I often view that phrasing in a similar way to "I've got a friends whos black".

Please post more DrAlex.
Senethro

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:12 pm

All I'm saying is there is a difference between "oh woe is me, I'm 13 and I don't have a girlfriend" and proper chemical imbalances in the brain.

I realise my own personal experience doesn't make me the great all knowing on this subject, but sometimes "buck up" is the best approach.

How about "Buck up, your plane crashed in the Andes and you had to eat your own friends?", "buck up your friends cut you off a rope halfway up a mountain and left you for dead?". Some people get on with life perfectly well.

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:09 pm

Yes,some people do get on with things perfectly well when something upsetting happens - other people on the other hand spiral into depression and commit suicide.

Funny old world, eh? :-P

There's no real reason why a child couldn't have depression, in fact there may be more than are diagnosed considering that symptoms like sleep problems, doing badly at school, low self esteem or being introverted can all just as easily be dismissed as something to do with their intelligence or their personality.

And telling someone with clinical depression just to buck up is more likely just to increase their depression when they can't buck up and they feel like they're failing. It's never the best approach with depression because it does nothing except dismiss their problems and leave them to develop further.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...

...And I am a Sinner Goddess.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:26 pm

there's a distinction between being depressed and being miserable, but one is commonly mistaken for the other, which is wrong.

As for this girl, I'd be surprised if she actually was depressed, but I'm also not a doctor.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm sure i read somewhere that at times of war, hardship etc., when a lot needs to be done, people tend to be less depressed.

We probably get depressed because we are so BORED.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm

It's like ADHD. I don't hold much sympathy with that either, because nowadays a lot of people use it as an excuse. No, your child does NOT have ADHD, they are just a little shit who needs a good slap.

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby bdw on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting angel_kohaku from 21:26, 8th Nov 2006
It's like ADHD. I don't hold much sympathy with that either, because nowadays a lot of people use it as an excuse. No, your child does NOT have ADHD, they are just a little shit who needs a good slap.

[hr]

I'm no medic but...

ADD = Always Deserves Decking

ADHD = Always Deserves Heavy Decking
bdw

Re:

Postby Rufus on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting angel_kohaku from 21:26, 8th Nov 2006

[hr]

Slap up meal, full of nutritious veg and omega 3.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 pm

ADHD is a neurological disorder. Yes, people have been known to use it as an excuse for their child's behaviour - but that doesn't mean that it's any less of a life-affecting problem in those who have been diagnosed with it - especially since it tends to be co-morbid with other things like bipolar disorder, depression and OCD.

Or are we now going to dismiss bipolar and OCD as well? They just can't decide whether they're happy or sad and they're just really into keeping things clean :-P

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...

...And I am a Sinner Goddess.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board