Home

TheSinner.net

Raisin Fascism

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:18 am

Oh. Oh well.
Al

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:04 am

I think everyone should go MENTAL and

"liven all you stiffs up a bit"

THERE IS NOWT WRONG WITH A BIT OF CHAOS.

[hr]

"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:07 am

Students found with Raisin Receipts will be asked to provide evidence of its ownership. If this cannot be produced, the Police will be charging the student with theft.

I should hope that whichever police officer who told Residence Admin about this - and indeed, any officer who actually charges a student with theft for not having proof of ownership - will be charged with Gross Fuckwittery in the International Court of Shove-It-Up-Your-Arse.

There is no way - no way - a student could be convicted of theft for merely possessing an object, unless there was proof beyond reasonable doubt that they had in fact stolen it. If any such case were to arise, I would expect some form of counter-action to ensure such an unabashed abuse of the law never happens again. And yes, dammit, I have been drinking, meaning I am slightly more enraged than I would have been otherwise, but my point stands.
[James]

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting Al from 23:40, 16th Nov 2006
I trust you'll be wearing your gown.

Never turned down an opportunity in the past!

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Darshybaby on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:20 am

Wow so glad I have graduated now! Madness. Although seems madness comes from both places I have been at!! I studied abroad at UCLA in California, for my third year and look what the UCPD did there only last night! (They have their own police force because the campus is like a small city in itself)Watch the video if you can.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/10325914/detail.html

Hope the link still works!

PS...wish I could be there for Raisin Weekend this year!
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby Darshybaby on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:20 am

Wow so glad I have graduated now! Madness. Although seems madness comes from both places I have been at!! I studied abroad at UCLA in California, for my third year and look what the UCPD did there only last night! (They have their own police force because the campus is like a small city in itself)Watch the video if you can.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/10325914/detail.html

Hope the link still works!

PS...wish I could be there for Raisin Weekend this year!
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby richey on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:32 am

Does anyone think, in light of this email, that Raisin weekend may be in jeopardy? It would be really, really sad if it came to an end.

I can see how the police are only trying to deal with the potential problems of raisin weekend, but I still feel it is too draconian a measure to make anyone with a raisin receipt produce a valid receipt for it.

It is quite ironic that you have to produce a receipt for a raisin receipt thinking about it...
richey

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:56 am

The full text for those who want it. I have a feeling it may only have been sent out to Albany Park students, I'm not sure if every senior student sent something similar out:

Hello all,

Due to the events in previous raisin events the police have decided to crack down on students. Please read the text bellow so that you are aware of some of the changes.

·The Police will be bringing in reinforcements, many plain clothed.

·Any student found drinking or making an unreasonable noise in a public place will be given 1 warning only ·If it continues, the students will be arrested and taken to the cells ·The Police will press charges and reports will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal (PF).

·These students will have to make their own way home the following day - some of the Police cells are elsewhere in Fife.

·We hope that they will leave the University with a degree. However they may also leave with a criminal record. In this case it is likely to affect their employment prospects.

·Following the PF action, the University will follow up with disciplinary procedures for every student charged.

·Any student found to be forcing another student to drink against their will, will be disciplined.

·Students found with Raisin Receipts will be asked to provide evidence of its ownership. If this cannot be produced, the Police will be charging the student with theft.

·If the student is an academic "child" then, even if gifted the receipt, they will be charged with "Reset".

·The Police will be in attendance on the Monday to test all receipts.

I'm sorry they have decided to be so harsh but I thought you should all know what to look out for. It seems that students have taken it far too far in the past and now all of us have to suffer.

I hope you all have a good time this Sunday and just remember... its about having as much fun as you can .

Cheers
Iain
Senior Student

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:22 am

Charging someone with theft is ok.

The burden of proof is still on the police to PROVE that something was stolen.

Seeing that most Receipts come from a students own place of abode I would say they'll have a hard time to prove anything at all. Are there plain clothes police in my living room? If so, then how do I steal from myself?

This is nothing more than fascist tactics against a tradition stretching back to at least the time my grandfather was here, and, I know, at least a hundred or so years before this.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of this in the years to come:

Main/thesinner/26484

Why do we allow the police in this county to use such blatantly incorrect means of stopping theft?

[hr]

We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Grandpa from 02:22, 17th Nov 2006

Why do we allow the police in this county to use such blatantly incorrect means of stopping theft?

I believe they call it "tough on crime...tough on the causes of crime"

[hr]

"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:49 am

Oh for fuck's sake!

First - if you're not stealing stuff or otherwise breaking the law of the land you have no problem. The burden of proof will always be on the Crown. If you are - tough titty. Don't break the law.

Second - you DID sign the sponsio, if you felt you could not avoid bringing the University into disrepute or you felt you were so important that it should not apply to you, you had the chance to say so.

Third - Grandpa, be serious, Raisin Monday is nothing, repeat NOTHING, like it was one hundred (let alone two hundred) years ago, when presumably Adam was your grandfather.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:06 am

Because we are a society so dulled by paternalistic legalism and tyrranous republicanism that we allow fascism to sneak slowly up on us and give us a right royal rogering up the arse?

How is it acceptable that people are being admitted at 9am for alcohol poisoning, that families walking from Tescos down Market Street have tins of beans poured on their heads, and that there are 17-yr olds having funnels of vodka poured down their throats?

I started off by saying that the behaviour was rubbish. But there is not, nor should there be, a necessary connection between "wrong" and "punishable by the full weight of the law".
Harry Giles

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting exnihilo from 03:49, 17th Nov 2006

First - if you're not stealing stuff or otherwise breaking the law of the land you have no problem. The burden of proof will always be on the Crown. If you are - tough titty. Don't break the law.

thanks for agreeing, for once

Raisin Monday is nothing, repeat NOTHING, like it was one hundred (let alone two hundred) years ago, when presumably Adam was your grandfather.

Oh, I forget, your middle name is Adam, and you were here 100 yrs ago. Actualy, no, your middle name isn't, and you weren't. I suspect you have heard of the tradition of the pound of raisins? Well, now we use a bottle of wine. Guess what some people did a long time ago, like not so far off 100 yrs ago....?

tit...[s]oops, I seem to have copied that from somewhere for some reason, not sure why.[/s]

Raisin Monday is quite a lot like what it was about 100 years ago, (or am I forgetting the exnihilo book of 'changing raisin traditions', fully updated and managed by our own correspondant who has been present since the year dot?

[hr]

A: "Which is worse, a c*nt or a tw*t?"

B: "Hmm, I not sure, but I think tw*ts taste better, c*nts have knives."

A: "Guess that makes me neither. You sound as though you'd taste like sh*t though."
Grandpa

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:25 am

Grandpa, I may have wildly misunderstood what's happening, but I don't think the police are threatening to crack down on the giving of bottles of wine to academic parents. Rather, the cracking down is on excessive drinking, vandalism, and the other unsavoury aspects of Raisin Weekend - which bears no resemblance whatsoever to how Raisin Monday used to be conducted. You seemed to be saying quite the opposite, and now I wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse...
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:40 am

Of course I was being obtuse.

This is because you are a tit [s]damn, that copying, I'll have to get it sorted[/s].

Well, I'm not trying to uphold theft or any such thing, I just find you unbearably a bore. Maybe if you would stop posting with what seems to be a unrelenting vehemence I might shut the hell up.

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:42 am

Yeah, that follows. Going back to edit your post to make yourself look less obtuse, and to take a pop at me is very clever too. Well done.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting exnihilo from 09:42, 17th Nov 2006
Yeah, that follows. Going back to edit your post to make yourself look less obtuse, and to take a pop at me is very clever too. Well done.

no. no. I simply like to review my past actions. something some of us here fail to see necessary.

anyhow, I already said I was being obtuse. I have no qualms with that.

ooo look I've done that edit thing again.

BOO, done it again!!

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am

Probably just as well.

And there we go again with the editing so my next post makes less sense. Maybe if you would post with less idiocy I would post with less vehemence, what do you think?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:49 am

Was just wondering if anyone could put the text for the raisin receipt on here, I'm not quite bored enough to go and look at the threads that come every year where it's written. Also was just wondering whether we are supposed to write our subject in English or in Latin. If in latin anyone want to give me the latin for Modern History?

Sorry that was completely off topic. To get back to it, I doubt there will be too much of a change from previous years tbh. If people don't steal anything and try and behave (not breaking the law) then I fail to see how anything bad will happen to them.

[hr]

Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:05 am

I think you should f*ck off, to be honest.

Try ignorance, I might do the same.

[hr]

Grandpa

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board