Home

TheSinner.net

Lonesome

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Lonesome

Postby Phina on Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:11 pm

Quite simply, is it considered wierd to go out for a drink on your own? Is that different if you're a girl? And the protocol for the cinema?

Its just I consider it quite normal to want to get out of my house and go and sit in a quiet corner of Broons and sip away on a Bloody Mary in peace in the early evening. Friends of mine however consider this wierd. Yet again, males seem to be quite alright to go out have a drink... and also go to the cinema. Alone. But not for girls.

Opinions please?

[hr]Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. [s]Oscar Wilde[/s]
Phina

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:28 pm

[s]Phina wrote on 17:11, 25th Jan 2003:
Quite simply, is it considered wierd to go out for a drink on your own?

I don't think it's weird, I just wish I could do it, I feel too self-conscious if I'm sitting in a pub alone, even if I'm just waiting for someone. But as you say, it's better than just sitting in the house all day...
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:32 pm

Same with me - like Ricky Gervais on Room 101, I prefer to just wander around for a bit until people arrive...

[hr]Who am I now? I'm not a man, I'm not machine
I gave me life away - for the Iron Savior dream
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:50 pm

I drink on my own in Broons more than I drink with other people - but maybe that's 'cos I have no friends?

Did anyone see Johnny Vegas on Room 101 talking about the virtual pub at whatever it was called - Beauty's Castle? V. funny.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Zen on Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:12 pm

I was just thinking about the whole alone in bars thing this morning...how strange. Anyways all my friends are going home for a couple of days yet i still feel inclined to go out but would feel intimidated sitting in a bar alone.
Zen

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:56 pm

I think the correct protocol is that if you want to do something, whether this is going to the cinema alone or hanging around in bars, then do it. Life's too short to worry about such things.

[hr]"Oh sing sing sing
For the dying of the day
Sing for the flames that will rip through here
And the smoke that will carry us away"
Al

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:31 am

Quite, Al. If people think it's "weird" to partake in activities alone - it's probably just because they themselves are too insecure to go out and do something without a friend to hold their hand while doing it.

That said, on the whole doing things with friends - especially drinking (I've never thought of cinema going as particularly social) - is more fun but we all need to be on our own sometimes.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby gary on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:05 pm

going to the cinema is acceptable. however, having a drink alone is only acceptable for men. its not right for a woman to be seen drinking alone. people would be prone to think there was something wrong with her.
gary

The paculiarity of drinking in bars alone.

Postby Billy millions, come and get me. on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:06 pm

I was just in a bar tonight. I was thinkink , my how great would it be if prince william sat down next to me, gave me Ice, and led me off to hope street to kick that bitch out of our house, but he didnt come so here I am. By the way If you have seen or heard from him, tell him to email me now at felicewilliams68@hotmail.com
Billy millions, come and get me.

Re:

Postby Phina on Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:56 pm

Now perhaps the two posts above are wierd or maybe my hangover is masking their humour. Hmm.

I'm of the opinion that my solitary drinking with a book or paper is quite fine in the absence of company during the day... I'd just feel more alright doing it in the anonimity of London or Edinburgh rather than our small town where the likelihood (sp) of bumping into people and so feeling like the poor relation and being forced into small talk with some people I barely know. Thus I generally limit my trips to the day time. And go serious drinking at night with company.

I used to care about sitting alone- and so only ever turned up to anything about fifteen minutes too late just so I'd be pretty sure the people I was meeting would be there. But no longer.
Phina

Re:

Postby ambigous on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:05 am

Prince William, that great crusader of flat ethics and well known local boxer.
I saw him in the pub, the other day, and he wandered up and said "Do you have any problems in your flat?" "No, mate, I live in hall", I said. And then he bid me farewell and wandered off into the night. Seems like a nice guy.
ambigous

Re:

Postby Saki on Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:59 am

Why do you want to be in a pub on your own anyway? (Cinema, I understand, and do it myself.) But, I go to the pub to talk to people rather than to drink, so going on my own would kind of miss the point.
Saki

Re:

Postby liv on Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:56 am

I like sometimes going to the pub on my own for a quiet drink. I see nothing wrong with it what so ever. I think it's silly to say that if you don't want to talk to someone you have sit in your room on your own.
However, I wouldn't go to the cinema alone in St Andrews although I'm quite happy to in London. The reason is is that in St Andrews you are far more likely to bump into someone you know and by the next morning it will be round half the Uni that you were sitting like a Norma No-mates in the cinema on your own!
It's funny how that works, isn't it?
liv

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:44 pm

[s]Saki wrote on 10:59, 27th Jan 2003:
But, I go to the pub to talk to people rather than to drink, so going on my own would kind of miss the point.

Surely going to a pub but not going to drink is missing the point of a pub?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Saki on Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:05 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 22:44, 27th Jan 2003:
[s]Saki wrote on 10:59, 27th Jan 2003:[i]
But, I go to the pub to talk to people rather than to drink, so going on my own would kind of miss the point.

Surely going to a pub but not going to drink is missing the point of a pub?
[/i]

No, I meant that my primary purpose in going is to talk to people & incidentally to drink with them. I don't just want the alcohol.
Saki

Re:

Postby loveridge on Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:35 am

I don't it is a problem or weird going to the pub or cinema on your own. Fine, having friends there with you makes it better, but your going out to enjoy yourself. Who gives a stuff about what anyone else thinks. As long as you enjoy yourself, do whatever you want, whether it be with friends or on your own.

[hr]IMAGE:www.boomspeed.com/loveridge/loveridge.gif
IMAGE:www.boomspeed.com/loveridge/loveridge.gif
loveridge

Why the hell not?

Postby i tried on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:48 am

well i went to the pub on my own tonight purposely (spelling?) to test this out, and ended up bumping into about forty people i know, damm it st andrews is too small!! But im up for us ladies going for a bevvy on our own.
i tried

Re:

Postby goon on Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:53 am

Yeh,i think its quite norma,sometimes you feel you want to get out and walk alone of go and havea drinki alone,just with yourself and thoughts.But friends think its weird.Well i still do it though.I find myself choosing loneliness lately.
goon

Re:

Postby goon on Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:55 pm

So your friends wait for you 15 minutes everytime you go out?Ew?Thats something,or its a way to explain why you are always late.Hahah.

[s]Phina wrote on 21:56, 26th Jan 2003:
Now perhaps the two posts above are wierd or maybe my hangover is masking their humour. Hmm.

I'm of the opinion that my solitary drinking with a book or paper is quite fine in the absence of company during the day... I'd just feel more alright doing it in the anonimity of London or Edinburgh rather than our small town where the likelihood (sp) of bumping into people and so feeling like the poor relation and being forced into small talk with some people I barely know. Thus I generally limit my trips to the day time. And go serious drinking at night with company.

I used to care about sitting alone- and so only ever turned up to anything about fifteen minutes too late just so I'd be pretty sure the people I was meeting would be there. But no longer.
goon

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User goon wrote on 15:45, 29th Jan 2003:
So your friends wait for you 15 minutes everytime you go out?Ew?Thats something,or its a way to explain why you are always late.Hahah.

Can anyone decipher that into intelligible english?

[hr]
[s]"You forget, earth man, that I have been asleep these five million years and know little of these 'early sixties sit coms' of which you speak."[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board