Home

TheSinner.net

Flats

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Flats

Postby Kat on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:08 pm

Does anyone know the name of the estate agent people who are releasing their flat list on Friday 31st? Also does anyone know how their deposit thing works?
Any information appreciated thanks.
Kat

Re:

Postby cheimon on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:44 pm

I forget their name, but they're the ones on the side of Bell Street that Bella Pasta is on.

As a matter of further interest, I was told we have to get there at 4 am at the latest to stand in line if we want to get a decent flat. Is this true?

Also have heard conflicting info about exactly what you're signing up for at the estate agent's when they put up the list. One person said it was the actual flat, but it doesn't seem particularly logical to agree to take a flat you haven't seen yet. Another said you're just signing for the privilege of seeing the flat first. This seems to make more sense, but can you sign up to see more than 1 flat first, or would you have to be 2nd, 3rd, etc. to see the other ones?
cheimon

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:41 pm

Murray, Donald and Caithness perhaps?

[hr]We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell
Saint Sal

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:39 pm

Hasn't the M,D&C list already been released (January the 4th, or something)?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:41 pm

Only a first year so not totally sure myself, but I've heard the same-that it's only looking at the property. Typically then, there might be up to 5 groups wanting the same place so you're interviewed to see who's most "suitable". But you can be interviewed for more than one place obviously. There seems to have been loads of nightmare stories going round, don't know whether they're true or not. Me, I'm with a group looking for a place but I may end up back in halls. It's cheaper anyway.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Phina on Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:08 pm

Drummond Cook and MacIntosh. Believe the horror stories... they aren't far from the truth.
Phina

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:55 pm

I thought the idea is you queue up to get the list, then go off with it and try to see and find a good flat and get back there as quickly as possible.

I don't think you sign anything when you go there first - just pick up the list. Why would you even sign to be first to see a property if you don't know what it's like? How would you pick one over another? surely you just pick up the list first...?

anyone know?

[hr]IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/sinnerllamalogo.gif

[rar!]
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Jiang on Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:31 pm

The Murray Donald and Caithness list comes out on the 31st, as does Eve Brown. You don't have to sign anything to get the list and consider if you would like any of the flats on it. Best to have 2 references ready so that you're not stressing about being the first lot in with your references. Heard many stories about 4am starts but i have a friend who queued from 2am last year and by 9 there were still only 5 people in the queue.

You'll all get used to the stress :)

(a happy 4th year who doesn't have to go through all this polava again!)

Good luck everyone!
Jiang

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:25 am

I hope we dont have to be there at 4am ... thats way too early in the morning. I heard you have to be there for about 7.30am. My friends seem to think you just rush around all the flats like mad on friday and try to bag the flat you want as soon as possible before anybody else bags it. I heard the initial deposit was around £20 p.p. but that doesnt seem enough..... argh.... im so disorganised i dont have a clue what to do.

Re:

Postby cheimon on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:23 pm

references?? from who? argh! why doesn't the uni give us a freaking leaflet or something so we know what's going on??
cheimon

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:12 pm

Why doesn't the university tell us how and when to do everything?

Why doesn't the university wake us up in the morning, and tell us when to go to bed?

Why doesn't the university this, and why doesn't the university that?

If you ask the university, they will be happy to help you. But surely you realise that you must arrange your own accommodation? Why should the university be responsible for telling you when the property lists become available?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Kat on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:24 pm

Just been to M, D and C. They said you need 2 references - one from your hall warden. They also said there is no point waiting outside at some mad hour in the morning cause it's not done on a first come first serve basis. From what i can gather, on friday you just look around the flats you want to look at, hand in the form to the estate agents with preferences, references, how many people are sharing and they get back to you when all the forms are handed in. You get to choose 3 flat preferences btw.
Kat

be considerate

Postby beardedwonder on Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:10 pm

arrgh! please remember when looking for flats that people live there. i live in a private landlord business and we've had ten or fifteen groups look round already (an this is an unheated house) and none of them seem to realise that we have exams etc and are not letting agents. if anyone else comes round i think ill shoot them!
beardedwonder

Re:

Postby Oli on Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:24 pm

If you live in a private flat, then you can control who comes into your property.
You can dictate when prospective tenants can come to look round the flat - if they are coming with your landlord, then your landlord should contact you to see when would be convenient for you.

As far as I know, your landlord can only come into your house with 24 hours notice.
Of course, if s/he's in town and wants to call in, then that's fine, although it can only be a social call.

The bottom line is that your exams are much more important than the people who don't live in your flat.
Oli

Re:

Postby Okocim on Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:16 pm

Hey, beardedwonder, stop complaining. I'm the one who's done 80% of the flat tours anyway!!!
Okocim

Return to The Sinner's Main Board