Home

TheSinner.net

Have you ever been censored?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Have you ever been censored?

Postby Paranoid on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 am

Having just had one of my posts censored for the first time in 6 years (and honestly not holding a grudge), how many others out there have had their posts censored?

More interestingly, what's you reaction been to that censorship? Have you learnt from it and adapted how you express your views on the sinner? Have you gone and read up on the rules of the site to understand more fully what behaviour is acceptable?

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby David on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:38 am

shut the *censored* up!

(someone had to do it...)
David

Re:

Postby Hughie Throbbingphallus on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 am

I've been censored for saying the c-word, which by the way is cunt not censored, ironically censored is more striking as everyone wonders what was censored and then their dirty sinner minds go into overdrive. Censorship (and its posthumous legal counterpart -libel) tends to just draw attention to something which is the exact reverse of its intention.

[hr]

[s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s]
[i:1u29jgp6][s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s][/i:1u29jgp6]
Hughie Throbbingphallus

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:50 am

I have been censored for voicing an opinion which admin didnt like, so they censored it.

I thought the point of the internet was to be able to voice opinions relevant to the conversation??!!
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:26 am

The point of the internet was to facilitate data transfer between academic researchers, but that's by-the-by.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 am

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.[/quote]

Your not allowed an opinion on this message board!!!!!!!
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:40 am

I've been censored before.

Apparently some groups of people are protected from criticism.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:51 am

Quoting Senethro from 10:40, 23rd Nov 2006
I've been censored before.

Apparently some groups of people are protected from criticism.

Like Aikmans..........
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Mod on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 am

In Senethro's case, I think it was the entire Jewish religion, or world-class spam. If you're censored, it's for a good reason. Like I've said countless times, the internet's not a democracy and the ability to post here is a privilege, not a right. I've only censored people who have been intensely stupid, spamming, or are attempting to be provocative for the sake of it. I'm actually an extremely fair moderator (not that I do much moderating here any more), and I do love how even the slightest bit of moderator or admin interference in the flow of a thread immediately results in the following "omg censership wer r my rites u r fkn facistz omg fk the sinr tbh" (no, seriously - that's what you're all like) and being accused of being a nazi, etc. Paranoid's post is possibly the first of its nature I have seen. Out of interest, what were you censored for?
Mod

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:54 am

It was on the Hotels of St Andrews thread.
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=26541

Admin's note says that The Sinner's main board isn't the place for reviews of hotels. Personally, I agree, especially as the original poster had asked for suggestions of place to stay (not for places to avoid).
Ethan With

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:54 am

Ironically, I've been censored for advertising.

I too very, very, rarely edit a registered users posts, unless it very clearly violates the T&Cs (which I, unlike most I wager, have read a few times). Sometimes the urge to correct grammatical and spelling errors is strong, but I resist. Unregistered posts, however, are my property when they are submitted, and if I don't like it, they don't show up.

Don't like that? Register.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:25 pm

Religous Paul constantly tell us the error of our ways in his threads and telling us we will go to hell. I once told him my opinion of organised religion and said in my opinion he would go to hell.

It was removed, as apparantly it was too personal! He can say it us though by quoting the bible!

Double standards i think.
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Perhaps you should develop your own religious book then you too can quote from it!

While we're talking about censorship etc who are the mods these days - or is that supposed to be a secret?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting ethan with from 11:54, 23rd Nov 2006
It was on the Hotels of St Andrews thread.
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=26541

Admin's note says that The Sinner's main board isn't the place for reviews of hotels. Personally, I agree, especially as the original poster had asked for suggestions of place to stay (not for places to avoid).

If the main board is not the place for reviews then why was the whole thread not removed rather than just one post.

I think one is quite justified to write review on a thread asking about hotels to stay in. Therefore did the moderator have an ulterior motive for removing only one post?
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting harmless loony from 13:29, 23rd Nov 2006
Perhaps you should develop your own religious book then you too can quote from it!

While we're talking about censorship etc who are the mods these days - or is that supposed to be a secret?

I couldnt do that as it would all be fictitious........oh hang on, so is the bible.
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:44 pm

Yes, several times. usually for posting hurtful offensive things when i'm pished and find my browser window open on the sinner.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting Mod from 11:36, 23rd Nov 2006
In Senethro's case, I think it was the entire Jewish religion

The post you're referring to was made in response to a disgusting post which contained an erroneous and emotive attack on Islam/Arabs. Correctly, I was censored but attacks on groups we're not sensitive about or ridiculous religious propaganda are permitted.

So I guess censorship isn't always consistent and its not so much what you say as how you say it.
Senethro

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I'm one.

I was given the option to remain anonymous or not, and I chose to go for the public option (mainly because I'm too lazy to switch accounts).

Quoting Sr. AGiC. from 13:30, 23rd Nov 2006
I couldnt do that as it would all be fictitious........oh hang on, so is the bible.

Given that statement, I doubt that your censored post on one of the infamous Paul threads was as diplomatic as you claim.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Sr. AGiC. on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 14:21, 23rd Nov 2006

I'm one.

I was given the option to remain anonymous or not, and I chose to go for the public option (mainly because I'm too lazy to switch accounts).

Quoting Sr. AGiC. from 13:30, 23rd Nov 2006

Given that statement, I doubt that your censored post on one of the infamous Paul threads was as diplomatic as you claim.

[hr]

He does not post worry the feelings of people who are non-religous so why should I worry about his feelings as a follower of an organised religion?

He has no worries about telling someone that they are living in sin because they do not follow the word of the bible so why can i not tell him i believe he is living in sin for not acting the way that i think god would want people to behave? It is an opinion.

Why should we pander to people becuase of religion? It becomes a very worrying thing when people cannot criticise religion openly for fear of reprisal.

All things should be open to criticism and then people can have a balanced opinion/come to their own decision. It should be seen as no different to me saying "I believe democracy is as easy to corrupt as other types of government". People would happily discuss it, they may agree or disagree but i would not be chastised for saying it.

However i am chastised (and often told i cannot say) it for saying "I think all organised religion has evil at its roots".
Sr. AGiC.

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:36 pm

I got censored for saying "CUNTY BOOBIES" woo hooo "CUNTY BOOBIES"

[hr]

"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board