Home

TheSinner.net

Question- URGENT!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Question- URGENT!

Postby fran on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:07 pm

How much of your text (%) is allowed to consist of direct quotes (obviously with correct referecing and quotation marks etc) in an academic paper?
fran

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:57 pm

not more than 100%

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:01 pm

As much as you like, providing there is an original, coherent argument behind it. You might consider referencing, rather than quoting directly if it becomes distracting.

If this is for undergraduate coursework, there might be a set limit, depending on your department, but as long as it is not unreasonable, they're unlikely to start counting words.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Has anyone managed to write an essay consisting 100% of direct quotes, yet manages to maintain a coherent argument at the same time?

I guess it could be possible if you managed to quote from two sources and present it as a conversation between them....hehe

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:41 pm

In my day there, and possibly still today (I know it is true here), direct quotation did not count toward a word total, so you can quote as much as you like and it will always be 0%.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Okocim on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Whenever I've been assessed, direct quotes have always been included in word count. I wouldn't have a clue about quoting percentages but as a general rule, only quote an author directly if you couldn't say their argument better and more relevantly through paraphrasing. It can impact the readibility of your essay if it is cluttered with one quote after another. Naturally though, the rules of referencing still count no matter which way you include another person's argument!

[hr]

"You mentioned my name as if I should recognise it, but beyond the obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a Freemason and an asthmatic, I know nothing whatever about you."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Norwood Builder"
Okocim

Return to The Sinner's Main Board