Home

TheSinner.net

Pinochet dies

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Pinochet dies

Postby Nymphomanic on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Opinions on his life?

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:05 am

Opinions on your amazing ability to start threads with single line discursive questions without offering any opinion yourself?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:11 am

I think its a good thing that he had all those communist subversives killed in order to build the free market economy chile has today.
Senethro

Re:

Postby ParisInTheAutumn on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 am

He was never going to get better to stand trial so i don't really care, although speaking of dictators dying i hope castro doesn't in the next year, i really want to go to Cuba.
ParisInTheAutumn

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 pm

Senethro

Re:

Postby McK on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Quoting Senethro from 12:09, 11th Dec 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6167351.stm

Bitch.

She has become a sad figure; Thatcher has nothing more to do than lament the death of old 'friends' thesedays.
McK

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:45 pm

I lived in Chile between 2001 and 2005--let me tell you, a lot of people there are happy to see him go. Street parties and whatnot, people popping bottles of champagne in the main plaza in Santiago... etc.

In retrospect, I can see why. He may have improved the country's economy substantially and done some infrastructure work, but he was absolutely brutal. Just watch any documentary about his dictatorship and you'll see why.

NB: Thatcher is a bint.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby October on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting Senethro from 00:11, 11th Dec 2006
I think its a good thing that he had all those communist subversives killed in order to build the free market economy chile has today.

Please Tell me that you were joking.
No loss of life is a "good thing", no matter what they believe.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting McK from 13:23, 11th Dec 2006
She has become a sad figure; Thatcher has nothing more to do than lament the death of old 'friends' thesedays.

Isn't that what all old people do?

Anyway - Pinochet: did lots of good things, but lots of bad things at the same time. Oh, and Chile is a very nice place with lots of nice people, wine, pisco, alpacas, mountains and telescopes. Go there.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby McK on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 17:28, 11th Dec 2006
Quoting McK from 13:23, 11th Dec 2006

Isn't that what all old people do?

Anyway - Pinochet: did lots of good things, but lots of bad things at the same time. Oh, and Chile is a very nice place with lots of nice people, wine, pisco, alpacas, mountains and telescopes. Go there.

[hr]

Most old people's friends aren't ex-dictators with the deaths and disappearances of their opponents on their conscience. Or, at least, not in my experience.
McK

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 17:28, 11th Dec 2006Oh, and Chile is a very nice place with lots of nice people, wine, pisco, alpacas, mountains and telescopes. Go there.

Don't forget the empanadas!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 17:37, 11th Dec 2006
Don't forget the empanadas!

Mmm... empanadas!

Damnit! I'd just about got over my empanada fixation! Now you go and ruin it all! :P

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Rest in peace, General.

Britain has lost a very close ally, and I am saddened.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby TCT on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Steveo from 22:09, 11th Dec 2006
Rest in peace, General.

[hr]

Steveo, as usual I wonder whether you aren't just trying to provoke people with your amazingly stupid views. Wishing a man peace in death who caused so much distress to others in life is just plain wrong.

And it seems to me you are trying to echo the dribbled sentiments of your heroine Thatcher, who at this moment is close to the end of her own days and cannot even remember who she is paying tribute to when asked for a statement. The man may have 'helped' Britain in that ridiculous war of hers, but he was certainly no proponent of what is best about humanity.
TCT

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting TCT from 23:02, 11th Dec 2006
Steveo, as usual I wonder whether you aren't just trying to provoke people with your amazingly stupid views. Wishing a man peace in death who caused so much distress to others in life is just plain wrong.

How very Christian of you.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:39 am

Rest in peace, General.

[hr]

And it seems to me you are trying to echo the dribbled sentiments of your heroine Thatcher, who at this moment is close to the end of her own days and cannot even remember who she is paying tribute to when asked for a statement. The man may have 'helped' Britain in that ridiculous war of hers, but he was certainly no proponent of what is best about humanity.

I don't recall even mentioning the characteristics of the man himself.

I don't care what anyone does in life, they still deserve a peace in death. I've always been a proponent of dignity after death, and the General deserves to be judged by whatever higher power might await him. However, I'm saddened by the death of a man that saved Chile from Marxism as I would be saddened by the death of anyone for whom I had any respect. General Pinochet wasn't by any stretch the perfect leader, but he did do some very good things in his time, and I like to look back on those achievements with fondness at a time of mourning.

Also, yes Lady Thatcher is getting old now. The fact you seem to find the deterioration of mental capacity of the elderly so amusing is absolutely disgusting and you should be thoroughly ashamed. I hope you pour the same derision and humiliation upon your own elderly relatives when they're in their 80s as you do Lady Thatcher. Absolutely sick. Have some fucking respect, it's not her fault she's in her 80s, it happens.

I'm absolutely appalled you utter cunt.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Humphrey

Re:

Postby TCT on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting Steveo from 09:39, 12th Dec 2006
Rest in peace, General.

[hr]

I don't recall even mentioning the characteristics of the man himself.

I don't care what anyone does in life, they still deserve a peace in death. I've always been a proponent of dignity after death, and the General deserves to be judged by whatever higher power might await him. However, I'm saddened by the death of a man that saved Chile from Marxism as I would be saddened by the death of anyone for whom I had any respect. General Pinochet wasn't by any stretch the perfect leader, but he did do some very good things in his time, and I like to look back on those achievements with fondness at a time of mourning.

Also, yes Lady Thatcher is getting old now. The fact you seem to find the deterioration of mental capacity of the elderly so amusing is absolutely disgusting and you should be thoroughly ashamed. I hope you pour the same derision and humiliation upon your own elderly relatives when they're in their 80s as you do Lady Thatcher. Absolutely sick. Have some fucking respect, it's not her fault she's in her 80s, it happens.

I'm absolutely appalled you utter cunt.

[hr]

Get off your fucking high horse. Perhaps I should show Margaret Thatcher the same respect she showed the men aboard the Belgrano?
TCT

Re:

Postby The Bitter Historian on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Would these 'very good things' he did in his lifetime include the disappearence and probable murder of over 3,000 people? 'Saved from Marxism'. Oh, do shut up. Yes, he is dead. Yes, the dead deserve to rest in peace. However, you still cannot even try to somehow make the life of a cruel dictator sound like a glorious age for Chile.

[hr]

http://bitterhistorian.blogspot.com

Life. St Andrews. Budgeting. Some history. Mostly bitterness.
http://bitterhistorian.blogspot.com

Life. St Andrews. Budgeting. Some history. Mostly bitterness.
The Bitter Historian

Re:

Postby McK on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:02 pm

TCT strayed into personal territory regarding Thatcher, but still the 'fucking respect' Steveo says should be accorded is difficult to give when opinions on her - and Pinochet - are so deeply entrenched.

I agree, TCT, about the lack of respect her government showed the Argentinian sailors on the Belgrano. Of course, that her government lied through its teeth about that is unsurprising. Thankfully 'R v Ponting' showed her and those others up and revealed the truth of the situation, and their contempt for human life.

But - DrAlex's condescension aside - I do hope that, if there is a maker or a judge of mankind (which I doubt) then I do hope Pinochet gets his just desserts.
McK

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board