Home

TheSinner.net

Americans?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Americans?

Postby VThigh on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Question regarding prospective students: Does St Andrews require a midyear report from your high school? Thanks

[hr]

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
VThigh

Re:

Postby killbill on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting VThigh from 23:25, 9th Jan 2007
Question regarding prospective students: Does St Andrews require a midyear report from your high school? Thanks

[hr]

no i think you just have to dish out lots of cash, tell them you're doing I.R, wear some preppy clothing, speak very loudly, and then everyone is happy.
killbill

Re:

Postby VThigh on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:44 am

hahahaha, pretty much summed up the stereotypical American... please don't think we are all like that.

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby Big X on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:31 am

just to add to killbills comments: u must also wear any king of SWIM TEAM/STATE WRESTLING/LACROSSE clothing that u managed to acquire over the years. it matters not a jot that it was sourced from ebay

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby [James] on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting VThigh from 02:44, 10th Jan 2007
Quoting killbill from 00:59, 10th Jan 2007
no i think you just have to dish out lots of cash, tell them you're doing I.R, wear some preppy clothing, speak very loudly, and then everyone is happy.

hahahaha, pretty much summed up the stereotypical American... please don't think we are all like that.

If you fit the above description, please don't bother coming. We accidentally ordered too many back in 1992 and still have surplus American yahs in the IR department.

"Like, totally oh my gawd, Bush is so awesome. Dude, we should totally just build a giant Starbucks around Eye-raq so the terrorists can't get out."

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby smile on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Yeah St Andrews take any loud american as long as they are willing to pay.
smile

Re:

Postby sweet on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:25 pm

I like many Americans.

(just for balance the bashing was making me cringe a little...)
sweet

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:41 pm

The bashing is also total drivel - once again, American students have entry requirements the same as everyone else. American students do not pay more, they just pay directly where we pay via taxes paid to the government. And, if many Americans are reading IR it's because of the international reputation of that department.

Finally, the number of Americans at St Andrews is hardly a secret, so everyone who dislikes them could have exercised the choice to go elsewhere. Personally, I have always felt that the greatest asset St Andrews has is its international makeup, and I hope it not only continues, but continues to broaden to bring people in from all over the world.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 16:41, 10th Jan 2007
American students do not pay more, they just pay directly where we pay via taxes paid to the government.

Well... not entirely true, bearing in mind the people who don't attend university who are also paying for us to have gone. But yes, the overall amount of money received by the university is the same.

[hr]

saru mo ki kara ochiru
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Ah, yes, sorry what I meant was that certianly it costs an American more, directly, than it costs a UK student. But the sum of money paid to the University is the same - for a US student paid personally, for a UK student paid part in fees (or not) and the rest from the Exchequer - I did not intend to imply that a UK student would have paid the cost of his or her tuition personally to the Exchequer.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Though one would assume they would still ended up paying personally through their taxes after they graduate, am I correct?

To VThigh and other American students: America-bashing (like English-bashing) is somewhat of a national pastime. It's not meant to be taken seriously and everyone knows its only directed at the subset of Americans (I'm sure you all know the type) that really make you grind your teeth. Every nation has their favourite other nation(s) to pick on, and there's plenty of pommy/limey bashing goes on around the world. Think of all the movies made where the baddy speaks in a English accent. It's rarely personal and if it is, it's probably just that everyone hates you - not just us. ;)

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 18:16, 10th Jan 2007 Think of all the movies made where the baddy speaks in a English accent.

I often wondered about that. Is it some hangover from the revolutionary war? Do the Americans still see us (subconsciously) as the great evil oppressors of the past?
Or is it more that a posh English accent could indicate privilege, and thus the everyman’s enemy?

[hr]

saru mo ki kara ochiru
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm

It's more that baddies are meant to be clever and sophisticated and to many Americans English accents sound just that. I've known Americans who think Birmingham accents sound sophisticated - we all hear things differently. Though that's just silly.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby VThigh on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm

well I see I'm going to feel very welcome next year, haha. No, I can honestly say that I have never been on a Swim Team and I don't talk with a blond American accent. Thanks for the support, us Americans don't hate you all, and I realize the administration hasn't made the best decisions in Eye-Raq, but don't let a red neck Texan negatively influence against all other Americans.

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:38 pm

99% of people wont, and you'll spot the other 1% easily enough.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 pm

Bollocks to this.

I'm one of a rare breed left here - I'm a Scot. You're all bloody welcome as long as you do your part to be a decent human being whilst in Scotland.

*whispers: but loud, IR studying, yanks do get a bit annoying*

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:31 pm

So, for an actual answer:

No. Or at least, they didn't from mine, but I went to a weird hippie school with no real grades or anything, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure what they require from "normal" schools.

Really, though, I got the impression that admission for Americans is mostly based on SAT scores.

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:35 pm

I applied here from an American curriculum school in the UK, and my entrance was based on my AP and SAT I scores. My high school grades were not sent.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 17:58, 10th Jan 2007
Ah, yes, sorry what I meant was that certianly it costs an American more, directly, than it costs a UK student. But the sum of money paid to the University is the same - for a US student paid personally, for a UK student paid part in fees (or not) and the rest from the Exchequer - I did not intend to imply that a UK student would have paid the cost of his or her tuition personally to the Exchequer.

How long will it be I wonder before tuition fees are not funded by the Exchequer at all and UK students have to pay the full sums that our friends across the pond have to pay?

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby JohnQPublic on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting VThigh from 23:25, 9th Jan 2007

If your grades are good, including your entire transcript was (I seem to recall) standard operating procedure for American applicants to British schools. I am unsure how that works with UCAS

The most important things to include are your SAT 1/2 scores, ACT, and Advanced Placement scores if you have them. E-mail the admissions office if you have questions, they're very nice people.
JohnQPublic

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board