Home

TheSinner.net

Exam Absence

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Exam Absence

Postby Christian on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:44 pm

Hey guys, I hope your exams are going well. Mine have been "so so", but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning. The examinations officer of my department was incredibly vague and gave me the old "Don't call me, I'll call you". I've heard that some people who missed exams due to illness simply make them up in the next examinaion period. Is this common? Have any of you had any experience with this?
Christian

Re:

Postby womble chris on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting Christian from 20:44, 15th Jan 2007
but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning.

a.k.a

but I had a stomach virus becuase I deliberately ate a vast quantity of raw fish so managed to avoid an exam or two at the beginning.

you cheaters disgust me......
womble chris

Re:

Postby tuck on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 am

I was ill last year and missed one of my exams and I was able to resit it a few weeks after term had started again (end of February i think it was, but I think it depends on when is convenient for your department) along with a couple of other people who had been ill or unable to take the exam for whatever reason.
There didn't seem to be any great problem with me doing that as far as the authorities were concerned but I did have a valid note from my doctor saying that I had been to her to receive treatment and that there was no way that I would have been able to sit the exam that day - you might want to see someone about doing the same if you haven't already done so.
Good luck
tuck

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 am

My flatmate has a fractured rib and so couldn't sit one of her exams because she was too sore to sit still for a long amount of time.

She was told to fill in a self-certificate of abscence asap and that she could sit in the exam in week three of second semester.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby Queeg on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:43 am

I missed an entire exam period with glandular fever and had the joy of resitting the missed exams throughout the next semester, about a month apart. Good luck with yours!

[hr]

Mea navicula pendens anguillarum plena est.
Mea navicula pendens anguillarum plena est.
Queeg

Re:

Postby gringo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 am

[quote]Quoting Christian from 20:44, 15th Jan 2007
... but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning. quote]

it sounds as if you're unsure of how many exams you've actaully missed.
gringo

Re:

Postby gringo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:26 am

Hey guys, I hope your exams are going well. Mine have been "so so", but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning.

It sounds to me as if you're unsure of how many exams you've actually missed
gringo

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:00 am

Is this an elaborate test set by Student Support to see if we know the proper procedure?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 09:00, 16th Jan 2007
Is this an elaborate test set by Student Support to see if we know the proper procedure?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785

Ooh ooh I know I know! Commit Hara-kiri?!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Christian on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting womble chris from 00:03, 16th Jan 2007
but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning.

a.k.a

but I had a stomach virus becuase I deliberately ate a vast quantity of raw fish so managed to avoid an exam or two at the beginning.

you cheaters disgust me......

Actually that would be food poisoning. I had Stomach flu. Thanks for the support though.
Christian

Re:

Postby Christian on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting gringo from 08:26, 16th Jan 2007
Hey guys, I hope your exams are going well. Mine have been "so so", but I had a stomach virus and missed an exam or two at the beginning.

It sounds to me as if you're unsure of how many exams you've actually missed

I was being "casual". I could tell you the two modules I missed, give you the core curriculum, list off all the common questions from past papers, and maybe even teach you the course. I've been studying since Christmas and I would have prefered to take my exams over spending those two days in the toilet any time.

Why is it that when one of your fellow students is dealing with a sh!tty situation all you can think of is how to give him a hard time?
Christian

Re:

Postby gringo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:18 am

[b] Quoting

spending those two days in the toilet any time.

Why is it that when one of your fellow students is dealing with a sh!tty situation all you can think of is how to give him a hard time?

yeh two days on the toilet is pretty shitty, granted.

goodluck with your exam stress, sounds to me like you know your stuff and would have aced yor exam if you'd been there. alas, that is often the hand life deals us.

I wouldn't worry about missing your exam, there's plenty of jobs going in town, for when the uni flings you out on your arse for not pitching up to assessments.

...only joking, of course. i'm sure the uni will be understanding, and in all likelihood reschedule your exam "or two" for you if you ask your tutor/module coordinator nicely.

to answer your latest question: i do things like that because The Sinner can be good fun, and if a post like this turns up on the main board AND NOT IN THE ADVICE SECTION then I view it as fair game.
gringo

Me too

Postby merry on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:08 pm

I too had the stomach flu and missed my exam!

The janitor who picked up on student services said I would be able to make it up the next week though...reception said to email soandso and they would get back to me...still no word. I think the janitor was toying with me about it being the next week.

How much warning do they give you about resitting these exams?
merry

Re:

Postby Planet Telex on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting gringo from 11:18, 16th Jan 2007

if a post like this turns up on the main board AND NOT IN THE ADVICE SECTION then I view it as fair game.

Gives me a laugh anyway. Hopefully it also encourages people who want advice in the future to use that board

[hr]

IMAGE:www.forl.co.uk/003/images/dont_say_02.gif
IMAGE:www.forl.co.uk/003/images/dont_say_02.gif
Planet Telex

Re:

Postby Christian on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting gringo from 11:18, 16th Jan 2007
[b] Quoting

spending those two days in the toilet any time.

yeh two days on the toilet is pretty shitty, granted.

goodluck with your exam stress, sounds to me like you know your stuff and would have aced yor exam if you'd been there. alas, that is often the hand life deals us.

I wouldn't worry about missing your exam, there's plenty of jobs going in town, for when the uni flings you out on your arse for not pitching up to assessments.

...only joking, of course. i'm sure the uni will be understanding, and in all likelihood reschedule your exam "or two" for you if you ask your tutor/module coordinator nicely.

to answer your latest question: i do things like that because The Sinner can be good fun, and if a post like this turns up on the main board AND NOT IN THE ADVICE SECTION then I view it as fair game.

Well as this is my first ever post on these boards (I joined because I wanted advice from my peers about a situation which is hardly ideal for me) I have no idea how things work here. Maybe instead of being a nasty (is that fair?) you could simply tell me how to go about this properly even if you choose not to be pleasant about it. This is certainly a lesson for me. I'll remember it next time I'm tempted to ask strangers for help. Cheers
Christian

Re:

Postby Christian on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 pm

How much warning do they give you about resitting these exams?

I have no idea. I was hoping someone would know. It apears that someone was given month long periods between their exams. My next door neighbour (who got me sick in the first place) is making up her exams in the next exam diet. It seems like it's really up to the department and depends quite a bit on anyone else in your course who missed their exams as well. The lady at the Acaddemic Registrar told me she had 30 emails almost identical to mind descibing our illness. She also said that Unis all over the UK had the same problem. Anyway, I plan to review a little every day so I don't forget everything just in case they schedule my makeup exams at the start of semester. Good luck with yours!
Christian

Return to The Sinner's Main Board