Home

TheSinner.net

pictures of st andrews?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

pictures of st andrews?

Postby VThigh on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:26 pm

Who has any pictures they can post of the school? Since I'm not in St Andrews right now I want to have some pictures to look at. If you could post some links that would be excellent. Thanks!

[hr]

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
VThigh

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 pm

Not really of the school, but every month I get up at sunrise to take pictures of the town.

http://standrews.facebook.com/album.php ... d=37100343

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby VThigh on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:58 pm

perfect, doesn't need to be the school

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:12 am

Why not look around for yourself...

http://www.standrews.com/webcams/

Also plenty photos here:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO5016
and in surrounding "squares".

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby VThigh on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:19 am

haha thanks

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:32 am

flarewearer

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:08 am

School. Aargh.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am

Doesn't School refer to one of the departments, like School of Psychology, School of IR, while school would refer to the University itself?

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:54 am

I wasn't asking for a capital letter, I only used one because it was the start of the sentence. "School" can be an academic unit, certainly. But "school" can never be used to refer to a university in Britain.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 am

A School is the name given to a building (or occasionally department) in most UK universities and the term "schools" can be applied as a plural with singular construction to an assembly of Schools.

The singular "school", however, should not be applied to a UK university as a whole in British English, though it is commonplace in American English.

The OED is a wonderful thing.

[hr]

Gubbins

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 am

I am glad that some one has pointed this out. I have had, in the past, several encounters with Americans of the JSA variety who have attempted to point out my inaccurate use of English. This is rather frustrating as I am of the nation who gave birth to our fine language (though sadly I still lack the ability to spell much of it).

As a dyslexic, I have had many problems at this university with lecturers spelling in the American form. American people have every right to spell according to Websters when they are at home, to use their expressions when they are at home. However, a little effort to use our dialect while they are here would be very much appreciated.

However: just to clarify my position and soften my stance a little, I understand that the differences between American and English are not entirely obvious. I can see how some one who in all other respects is educated could come here and not appreciate that we are speak in the same way (apart from accent of course). I don’t think it is their fault. But if after a few months an appreciation of the differences does not arise then I despair: it shows a lack of respect if anything else.

So to summarise the two things I find most annoying in relation to American English used in St Andrews are.

- The statement: 'But Websters says'

- Lecturers who use Americanised English in lectures. Its so difficult to read/write it when your a bit special like me.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby VThigh on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:04 pm

one misused word hijacked my thread, ahh the sinner. love it.

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:55 pm

Apologies. But you will find when you get here that calling St Andrews a "school" is the one Americanism that will most vex your British counterparts.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby VThigh on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:18 pm

i realize that now, my mistake... i will try to change the way I learned the language to please my British Counterparts ;-). Haha

[hr]

VThigh

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:13 pm

I call it school, to hell with my counterparts.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Unfortunately - and you may find yourself getting rather fed up of this - British people are very attached to things they can specifically identify as British, and there is a school of thought that considers "Britishness" under threat from many sources. For example, that culture is being eroded by the number of foreign immigrants, and that the English language is being eroded by the pervasiveness of American English throughout the world, to name but two. Many Britons will therefore be quite defensive, or even derogatory, about any Americanisms that are used.

While I'm on the subject, the majority of the Americans I know that have come to St Andrews are surprised, or even shocked, about the way America (and specifically its foreign policy) is viewed outside its borders, even by its close allies.

Just remember that we're an old Empire that used to rule half the world, we're used to having an influence, and now we're very sentimental about what we have left! Come, be welcomed, and don't pay too much attention to our grumblings.

[hr]

Gubbins

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm

DrAlex your pictures are beautiful :)

[hr]

The only way to avoid trouble is to BE trouble :)
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 23:13, 18th Jan 2007
I call it school, to hell with my counterparts.

[hr]

What kind of rebellious talk is that?!

I would be interested to see just how exnihilo would adapt to life in an American university; would he forgoe all his British quirks and refer to everything in American terms?
Rufus

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting katebush from 23:15, 18th Jan 2007
DrAlex your pictures are beautiful :)

[hr]

The only way to avoid trouble is to BE trouble :)

Why, thank you.

[hr]

DrAlex

Return to The Sinner's Main Board