Home

TheSinner.net

BlackedOut

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

BlackedOut

Postby paint_idle on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Does any one know if the Blacked Out Bunker Party is on this year?
paint_idle

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 pm

Nope,
they cancelled it. It's not happening. Don't bother trying to buy tickets.

Because the original poster's message isn't a not-so-thinly-veiled advertisement for the bunker bash.

If only you knew how the money for the Bunker supports the Kirkauldy mafia. I'm not joking.

I'll never forget the Ents Crew meeting I had with a certain society the week before a Bunker Bash. The crew and I were discussing the timeline of an event with the society and discussing what other events might affect attendence. Suddenly, the society member sat upright and exclaimed, "That's a Bunker night. I'm going to schedule in popping my pills."

This having been an official meeting of a registered charity funded indirectly with public money, in a licensed building, etc two of us immediately shouted in unison the phrase that had been drilled into our heads-- "The Association does not condone the recreational use of drugs."
And this policy remains the same, despite the business proposal given at one time that taking drugs off members at the door could be resold in the bop.

Again, the Kirkauldy mafia is always looking for new venues.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Lee.Cairns on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Krikauldy? Learn to spell, imo.

Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy.

[hr]

IMAGE:img13.exs.cx/img13/9327/bdpicbynic6nk.jpg
IMAGE:img13.exs.cx/img13/9327/bdpicbynic6nk.jpg
Lee.Cairns

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting lee.cairns from 22:19, 19th Jan 2007
Krikauldy? Learn to spell, imo.

Ah, the irony.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 22:05, 19th Jan 2007
I'll never forget the Ents Crew meeting I had with a certain society the week before a Bunker Bash. The crew and I were discussing the timeline of an event with the society and discussing what other events might affect attendence. Suddenly, the society member sat upright and exclaimed, "That's a Bunker night. I'm going to schedule in popping my pills."

This having been an official meeting of a registered charity funded indirectly with public money, in a licensed building, etc two of us immediately shouted in unison the phrase that had been drilled into our heads-- "The Association does not condone the recreational use of drugs."

I'd have been more concerned that the person organising the event apparently didn't intend to bother showing up to it, because they were going to the Bunker instead.

Incidentally, if we don't condemn the recreational use of drugs, does that imply that we're fine with hardcore drug use to assuage addiction?

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:40 am

Bonnie. You not only bumped the blacked out thread, you told people there were drugs and that the Union was against it. So if your intention was to discourage attendance I fear you may have failed.

Not that this is dissimilar to the UK at the moment, isn't Big Brother appaling god yeah lets watch it though just to see.

I love the way sanctimonious attacks inevitably make things worse, particularly when the offender (Black out, Channel 4, etc) feeds on publicity.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby the Empress on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:49 am

What would we do without the 'Association' policing our morals? *rolls eyes*
the Empress

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:18 am

Do you honestly think I'm going to affect Bunker sales? Damn, my powers have increased tenfold. I'm awesome.

Morals have nothing to do with whether recreational use of drugs is permitted, well, anywhere.

I don't think that kid went to the event, no.

Bean-- don't forget the medicinal use of drugs. What? Is the Association going to not condone diabetics from taking insulin? Doesn't the company you work for not condone the recreational use of drugs? Any organisation such as the one you work for now and worked for last year has some sort of official policy on the matter.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Rob on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 08:18, 21st Jan 2007
Do you honestly think I'm going to affect Bunker sales? Damn, my powers have increased tenfold. I'm awesome.

Morals have nothing to do with whether recreational use of drugs is permitted, well, anywhere.

I don't think that kid went to the event, no.

Bean-- don't forget the medicinal use of drugs. What? Is the Association going to not condone diabetics from taking insulin? Doesn't the company you work for not condone the recreational use of drugs? Any organisation such as the one you work for now and worked for last year has some sort of official policy on the matter.

anyway - is it on then or is it off?
Rob

Re:

Postby Senethro on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting David Bean from 23:35, 19th Jan 2007
Quoting Bonnie from 22:05, 19th Jan 2007

I'd have been more concerned that the person organising the event apparently didn't intend to bother showing up to it, because they were going to the Bunker instead.

Incidentally, if we don't condemn the recreational use of drugs, does that imply that we're fine with hardcore drug use to assuage addiction?

[hr]

Are you in favour of letting the market decide the legality of heroin?
Senethro

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:39 am

First of all, Bonnie, insulin isn't a drug, it's a hormone, but my point was that 'recreational' drug use means a specific thing, and doesn't include the use of drugs by addicts who've got to the stage where they have to keep taking the drug to avoid withdrawal symptons. What you thought you were saying was "The Association does not condone the use of illegal drugs", but you got the wording wrong.

Secondly, Senethro, the market by definition cannot decide the legality of anything, only the legislature should do that, but I don't think the legislature ought to be competent to decide on issues of personal morality like drug use.

[hr]Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:46 am

All this thread needs is a grammatical/spelling correction, Senethro saying something in leet/poor spelling with bold, italic and underline, an insulting post, a flame response and an unregistered user desperately trying to get an answer to the original question to be the quintessential Sinner debate thread.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Spike on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting DrAlex from 00:46, 22nd Jan 2007
All this thread needs is a grammatical/spelling correction, Senethro saying something in leet/poor spelling with bold, italic and underline, an insulting post, a flame response and an unregistered user desperately trying to get an answer to the original question to be the quintessential Sinner debate thread.

[hr]

its already had someone quote the person above it as well...dont forget that!
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am

L33t h@x0rz!!!!!!!!!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Pedant on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:05 am

Actually Bean, Bonnie knew what she was talking about when she wrote "recreational use of drugs".

For example, muscle relaxants/sedatives such as Valium, or certain barbiturates are perfectly legal in the UK, but can also be used recreationally (ie as an enjoyable leisure activity - I'd hardly use that phrase to describe physical addiction!).

A drug is basically anything that alters the chemical processes in the body. Hormones are naturally occuring drugs.

[s]Interestingly, when I searched Google for "Recreational Sedatives", the first sponsored link was titled "Difficult Horse Behaviour". Rather amusing[/s]
Pedant

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm

All right then, "the illegal use of drugs". My point is, it's the law that the Association would in these cases be policing, nothing more. If a person were to buy valium off someone, that would be illegal, but if they were prescibed them legally and just happened to pop the lot of them in a onner, well, I don't think there's much the Students' Association could do about that. Equally, a person who injects heroin could legitimately argue (unlikely though it is that they'd bother) that their use of the drug had gone rather beyond the recreational stage, but we wouldn't permit that on Association property.

As for insulin, sophistry about the nature of hormones aside, I do know for a fact that insulin was not classified as a drug under the sanction arrangements that used to apply to Iraq, because there was a hell of a furore about diabetics there being denied access to what was an essential life-sustaining supplement, but not, medically speaking, a drug.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby paint_idle on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Right ok. Cheers guys.
paint_idle

Re:

Postby LD Design on Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:47 pm

as someone who worked a bunker event one year, i can confirm that there was a serious drug problem.

i actually had considered phoning the Police at one stage, and should have.

Glad to see its not on this year, and hopefully wont be in the future
LD Design

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting DrAlex from 00:46, 22nd Jan 2007
All this thread needs is ... and an unregistered user desperately trying to get an answer to the original question to be the quintessential Sinner debate thread.

Quoting LD Design from 10:09, 22nd Jan 2007
as someone who worked a bunker event one year, i can confirm that there was a serious drug problem.

i actually had considered phoning the Police at one stage, and should have.

Glad to see its not on this year, and hopefully wont be in the future

The final prophecy! The end is nigh!

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Return to The Sinner's Main Board