Home

TheSinner.net

HELP!!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

HELP!!!

Postby fran on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:13 pm

I just spend an hour typing something up and I was almost finished when the window randomly closed itself- just like that. I've no clue what happened. Is there any way I could find it again on a computer room computer? I really can't believe this. :(
fran

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Unless word has autosaved it at some point during your editing, I'm afraid it's most likely lost.

Quoting fran from 15:13, 21st Jan 2007
I just spend an hour typing something up and I was almost finished when the window randomly closed itself- just like that. I've no clue what happened. Is there any way I could find it again on a computer room computer? I really can't believe this. :(

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby [James] on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Maybe you hit Ctrl+W instead of Ctrl+S? Surely the point of autosave is that the file is available somewhere. Do a Google of 'Microsoft Word autosave' and see what you find.
[James]

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:03 pm

Search the computer (or the device it was being saved to) for the following:
~WRD*.TMP
These are temporary files stored by Word, one of which might be your document.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Pedant on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:10 am

If it's a web browser window, then chances are you've lost whatever you were typing.

If your work IS lost, I'm very sorry to hear it. Use this opportunity to remind yourself why you should save your work on a regular basis.
Pedant

Return to The Sinner's Main Board