Home

TheSinner.net

Top 10 toughest courses at St Andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Top 10 toughest courses at St Andrews

Postby nighteyes on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:10 am

Stealing a topic from the old sinner as I have no imagination and would like to see the sinner return to how it once was.

1. Medicine
2. Physics
3. Maths
4. Chemistry
5. Biology
6. Psychology
7. Neuroscience
8. Latin
9. Greek
10.IR

So what do you lot think?

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:12 am

Depends what you mean by "tough" really - are we talking highest IQ-wise or workload wise? If workload wise I wouldn't have placed maths (or physics) that high up...And does neuroscience not count as biology?
Lyeta

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:36 am

Take it to mean IQ-wise just for arguments sake. I class Neuroscience as its own subject *shrugs*

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:25 am

1. Old Course
2. Jubilee Course

Sorry - couldn't resist. On a less flippant note, don't forget the physics course will have changed from a four-year to five-year course in that time (yet still contains almost the same amount of work).

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am

I'd actually go so far as to say that Astronomy is harder than Physics; and possibly the hardest course here. The workload may not be as much as some other courses, but the level of understanding required is very high. Not to mention that exams are absolutely killer.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:34 am

It's a very relative thing, I think. Now I've got used to the rhythm of cramming that medicine entails and the volume of work involved, I wouldn't say it's easy but definitely managable. If you were to put an English Literature degree infront of me I'd be at a complete loss - I think I'd have a very hard time making an intelligent analysis of the themes of a book or its characters.

Relative levels of difficulty are difficult to measure as it's all down to the gifts of the individual taking the course.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Some courses are interesting cases in that the work over the semester can be reasonably demanding but the module exam is much more routine. Maths honours modules, for example, usually have tutorial sheets which would have the students doing quite varied things, but the exams tend to have a lot more in the way of bookwork with a handful of marks for unseen things at the end of questions.

So the course as a whole can be reasonably demanding but one could pass the exam on a lot less.

Physics, on the other hand, is often less predictable.

I couldn't comment on other subjects.
sat

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:35 pm

In terms of sheer workload, Comp Sci is a killer.

But the exams usually aren't as hard as some other subjects I've seen.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby AuZ on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:47 pm

True workload wise Comp Sci IS the beast. I would actually put Maths as first place... Also depends what level (year)...
SO i supose the toughest course could be Maths and Comp Sci as a joint ??
AuZ

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Or this whole exercise could just be pointless, because nobody is in a position to judge more than a handful of courses except on the basis of their friends' whining about their workload. Different levels of intelligence and ability and different areas of expertise from one person to the next make the whole question moot.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 12:53, 26th Jan 2007
Or this whole exercise could just be pointless, because nobody is in a position to judge more than a handful of courses except on the basis of their friends' whining about their workload. Different levels of intelligence and ability and different areas of expertise from one person to the next make the whole question moot.

I agree.

I'm actually quite interested in the wholse business of assessment. What thoughts do others have? For example, should there be more or less continuous assessment, should exams be more or less standardised...?

There is quite a lot of emphasis (sometimes) on continuous assessment for some of my modules, and I often feel that this only serves to get in the way of the subject: it turns into an issue of getting marks rather than thinking about the different possibilities for answers. It also stifles discussion with the lecturers because lecturers can be reluctant to release answers.

(Off topic slightly. Sorry. I'd be interested to see some thoughts though.)
sat

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 12:53, 26th Jan 2007

I agree.

I'm actually quite interested in the whole business of assessment. What thoughts do others have? For example, should there be more or less continuous assessment, should exams be more or less standardised...?

There is quite a lot of emphasis (sometimes) on continuous assessment for some of my modules, and I often feel that this only serves to get in the way of the subject: it turns into an issue of getting marks rather than thinking about the different possibilities for answers. It also stifles discussion with the lecturers because lecturers can be reluctant to release answers.

(Off topic slightly. Sorry. I'd be interested to see some thoughts though.)
sat

Re:

Postby hoopy froodette on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm

I think a lot of people find Greek harder than Latin. Latin has rules and generally follows them, whereas Greek mostly ignores them and is very irregular. I also think the workload for Greek is a little heavier than for Latin.

[hr]

Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Re:

Postby Magic Dragon on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:33 pm

But apparently none so tough that people don't have enough time to create new threads from old material on message boards ;)
Magic Dragon

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting hoopy froodette from 13:16, 26th Jan 2007
I think a lot of people find Greek harder than Latin. Latin has rules and generally follows them, whereas Greek mostly ignores them and is very irregular. I also think the workload for Greek is a little heavier than for Latin.

[hr]

But greek spelling is much easier.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby cberry on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Depends if you want to judge workload or intellectual rigour. Workload of Maths was minimal.

The hardest working people I have met were the Biochemists. There are only 10 or so per year, and you rarely meet them because they work so hard. I knew some students who in final year put 40 hour weeks in the lab followed by 4 hours each evening studying at home. Doing Maths I probably averaged 10% of that.

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby KateBush on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Greek is far easier than Latin!

[hr]

The only way to avoid trouble is to BE trouble :)
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Science is Fun on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm

all I can do is rank the courses I take as to how hard they are.
psychology and biology are almost exactly the same in toughness. Although I would imagine taking them together as nueroscience would be a bit harder than taking them individually and being able to take easy courses to the side.
Philosophy is easy to disconcerting extent
Does any one want to make a list of the easiest courses?
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:30 pm

combine greek and latin into "classics" and I think they deserve to move up a notch in the list.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Das Feuer liebt mich on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Hahahahahaha try Hebrew.....
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Das Feuer liebt mich

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board